+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Grrrr! Really need help getting these Macs up to Scratch! in Technical; Hey Guys I am having some issues we are a school of nearly 100 MacBook's and iMac's and I'm having ...

Thank Post

Grrrr! Really need help getting these Macs up to Scratch!

Hey Guys

I am having some issues we are a school of nearly 100 MacBook's and iMac's and I'm having real problems with the Macs and was wondering if you guys can answer any of these few questions, though I'll tell you the setup first so... We have a Mac Mini OSX Server which is pretty much only used to authenticate Active Directory on the Macs and it works all users can login with their AD username and password in school.

However I need a way to mount the Users Home Drive, Pupil Share and Staff Drive when you log into the Mac, I also need a way to allow Staff to log onto their Mac from home even when the Mac isn't connected to an internal network.
    Last thing I need to find a way to stop staff and student seeing Networked Devices in Finder as this is showing all of my Open Shares and servers!

Does anyone know of anyways to easily do this centrally rather than going on every users account on every machine?

Thankyou

Thank Post
    I am looking to do the same thing and I am stuck on the Home Drive part!

But to help with a few of your questions I have already managed to figure out:

- Staff to login at home:
    You will need to go into Directory Utility and under Services Click on Active Directory. Under the User Experience Tab you will want to tick create mobile account at login. Make sure that require confirmation is unticked

- Networked Devices:
    To stop that I turn off the Bonjour Service on the Macs. I can't remember the program I used to use its on a harddrive I don't have with me.. but it was Called something like Service Daemon and it was a picture of a little devil. You run it and you can then turn off services running on the Mac.

- Mount Network Drives:
    You can use the Preference policy on the Mac Server to do this. Under the Dock preference there is an option in there to add it to the dock.

Hope that helps some...

Thank Post
    I also found this:

This is mostly likely due to the way Mac interpret hidden shares on NTFS, with Windows the $ sign indicates that the share is not to be visible in the list of shared folders. However a MAC seems to think the $ donates the end of the share path and won't look any further beyond that. The best way round this is to enable access based enumeration on the root of the users share and make sure your NTFS permissions are set accordingly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread