+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, 10.6.8 Server not pushing out printers to 10.7 & 10.8 clients via WGM in Technical; As the title suggests we have a 10.6.8 server which has our windows networked printers installed on to it also. ...

Thank Post

10.6.8 Server not pushing out printers to 10.7 & 10.8 clients via WGM

As the title suggests we have a 10.6.8 server which has our windows networked printers installed on to it also. On our 10.6.8 clients these printers are pushed out via WGM and work fine.

When trying to do the same with 10.7.5 clients and 10.8.4 it is not pushing the printers out via WGM, the macs are in groups in WGM and those groups have the printers assigned to them. I have installed the Sharp MFD drivers on to the macs themselves but they are not appearing. The clients must be receiving certain settings from WGM as we have a customized login screen etc.

If I go on to a client and manually add the printer and put in the admin password it add's the printer and you can print to it but this is no use to the end users as we can't have them adding printers themselves or having any admin passwords obviously.

Anyone else come across this issue before? Been searching for answers and other people have had the same issues but no fixes have been published on the articles. Hopefully someone can help it's driving me up the wall!!

Cheers

Thank Post
    We just found that our Snow Leopard server would not properly manage anything on newer clients, including WGM settings etc. In the end, we updated it in place to Mountain Lion. Fairly quick and simple, and we can now manage from 10.5 up to 10.8 clients.

Thank Post
    Do you still have 10.6 clients in place and did everything still work ok with them after the upgrade? I thought at some point we may have to upgrade but have been putting it off really.

We also need to upgrade our deploystudio installation as we can't currently image the newest 10.8 clients at the moment so thats on the to do list as well.

I have also just come across a bit of a weird issue, when our 10.7.5 clients bind to OD they are binding with the xserve as the server name which it should but also xserve as the client name. Even though it asks for the mac name in the build.Anyone seen that issue before?

Thank Post
    We do still have 10.6 clients - kept that way for the Music software they use (plus 10.6 is a great OS). We also have some 10.8 clients. Everything worked well after the upgrade - I did have to rebuild my OD but that was a separate issue and took about 15 minutes as it's AD synced.

Thank Post
    As a workaround you could add the printers to all the machines with ARD using lpadmin via the command line (make sure to send the command as "root" if using ARD).

lpadmin(8) - cups.org

Thank Post
    Hi Gerk

That was my thought so I tried the lpadmin command on one of the macs and the printer appeared in the CUPS web interface but does not show in the print & fax area in preferences nor does it show up when going in to an application to try printing.

The drivers are installed locally on each mac, is there anything else you have to do?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Hmm nope shouldn't be anything else you have to do, that's an odd one. Are you somehow locking down the printer options in WGM and maybe that's why they are not showing up when you're adding them manually? Other than that I have no idea what is going on there, sorry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread