+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, ML Workgroup Manager/MCX Guest Computer Preferences vs Computer Group Preferences in Technical; First of all very happy to have found this place! Hoping someone can point me in the proper direction here ...

Thank Post

ML Workgroup Manager/MCX Guest Computer Preferences vs Computer Group Preferences

First of all very happy to have found this place! Hoping someone can point me in the proper direction here ...

First of all a bit about my setup ... 4 computer labs, golden triangle (AD+OD) and everything is happy. 10.8 Server, 10.8 clients, bound to school AD and everything working as expected.

For managed preferences I have setup a Guest Computer in WGM and have setup all my prefs there and it's working great, except ... I noticed the other day that my OD server is also under the umbrella of these prefs which is not what I wanted at all, I didn't notice until the first reboot (of course classes were already rolling), DOH!

So ... I have now created a computer group, added one lab worth of machines to this group, exported all my guest computer settings and imported them to the new group. To test I have added a new dock item to this group but ... it doesn't show up. I've cleared/reset the cache on the client machines, rebooted, etc, but it seems like somehow the Guest Computer settings are taking precedence and the new Lab group I setup is being ignored.

So two questions: Is there a way I can test and see that the client machines are truly covered under this group, and secondly is there a way to make this new group preferences override the Guest Computer preferences? I seem to remember a while back that this was possible (although the last time I saw this in an interface was a long time ago). I did some fiddling with dscl to try and see how I could list what the client machine was being managed by but fell short.

Help! And thanks for this great resource. I did try searching through this forum for this type of information but didn't have much luck.

Thank Post
    Well I have answered my questions (mostly), I used mcxquery to see what was controlling the machine and it was only the Guest Computer settings ... but I think I know why. I had setup the machines in WGM using only the MAC address and that didn't seem to be enough to make things work. I found and added the hardware UUID of one test machine and then blamo, it was now using the Computer Group preferences.

Now to collect a lot of UUIDs :/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread