+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Random computers not connecting to OD in Technical; This one definitely has me stumped. I have 24 computers in our lab and one will not connect to the ...

Thank Post

Random computers not connecting to OD

This one definitely has me stumped. I have 24 computers in our lab and one will not connect to the OD server. It gets a login screen but if a user logs themselves in, it's just local. I also have a few teachers having the same issue. However their computers log right into the admin profile which they shouldn't have access to (it's passworded).

Thank Post
    Are you binding to a windows based LDAP directory by chance? I've seen odd behaviour like this (users getting admin/root that shouldn't) on some setups if GUID mapping doesn't work as expected (they sometimes get a GUID/uid of 0 -- which is basically the kernel and gives them root access). In the past I've used Loginhooks or Loginscripts to check for this sort of thing and if they are uid 0 then it kicks them out -- which means then they alert me telling me that they can't login and I could easily find out which ones needed some remapping

Thank Post
    I was able to fix the issue but unfortunately not in time to avoid a tech call. I had three machines that would absolutely not connect to the server even after rebinding it. Turns out I was the idiot. I was working in one of the workgroups for our 6th Grade Macbooks which is now all Chromebooks. I'm repurposing the old Macbooks to give most of our teachers another student computer in their rooms. When I deleted all the users in the laptop group I did not realize that my predecessor had put the two faculty DESKTOPS in that group as well. Once I finally realized this and rebound them, they were back up.

The other lab computer turned out was the Apple Tech's issue. That computer was worked on during the summer and he informed me that the video card needed to be replaced. In the process of determining which piece of hardware was giving us issues he must have replaced the main board which gave the computer a new mac address. All of this was going on our first day of testing too. It was a fun day....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread