+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Faulty iMac's - Good repairer needed in Technical; Hi, We have a number of iMac's that have developed issues, does anyone know of a good repair service / ...

Thank Post

Angry Faulty iMac's - Good repairer needed

Hi,

We have a number of iMac's that have developed issues, does anyone know of a good repair service / person who can fix them in or around the suffolk area.

They drive me crazy on the best of days but would welcoming someone who could fix them for us.

Many thanks

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    @Arthur - may have good suggestions

I was thinking of possibly getting in touch with KRCS - https://www.krcs.co.uk/pages/contact-and-support

That or apple's education sector - am sure they have contact details on the apple site ref there education department / section ?

Thank Post
    Thank you, I will give them a try.

Would like to find someone local who could come and take look/ repair them.

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Do any of the issues include failing hard drives?

iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program
    Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011. (Source)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks for that.

I have a number of issues...

Fans no but no audio or video
    RAM issue
    Green stripe down screen
    Half of a screen darker than the other side
    Constant ticking noise

Not having much luck with them...

Nick

Thank Post
    Depending on the age of the iMac, some of those sound highly likely to be caused by the notorious manufacturing issues Nvidia had with the Geforce 9400 series that were fitted. I think that this is a motherboard replacement job. It's caused by heat+poor quality control/solder.

The ticking noise - I had that one. Was fixed with a hard reset, it's a known odd issue with them. Either that or the HDD is failing!

Thank Post
    Hi, Many thanks.

These were bought in July 2011, the supplier only supplied them with a 1 year warranty and this was only discovered this year!.

If it is a know issue then do Apple replace free of charge?, also is there a good supplier or iMAC parts?

Many thanks

Nick

Thank Post
    I've not heard of them replacing the boards outside of warranty on these, but it's worth a go. Apple are not big on acknowledging a mistake, but their CS can be okay.

Thank Post
    Apple only let authorized repair centers sell their parts. You can find a few sites online though if your School has a credit card that you're able to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ncoules View Post
    Hi, Many thanks.

These were bought in July 2011, the supplier only supplied them with a 1 year warranty and this was only discovered this year!.

If it is a know issue then do Apple replace free of charge?, also is there a good supplier or iMAC parts?

Many thanks

Nick

Thank Post
    But...but...I thought Macs never go wrong...surely that is why they cost such ridiculous amounts of money

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ncoules View Post
    Hi, Many thanks.

Many thanks

Nick
    If you'd taken them for repair prior to July '13 the repairs would have been free despite the "1 year warranty". However, they are now outside of 24 months and without AppleCare to cover that third year you are likely going to be charged unless its an issue covered by a recall.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    But...but...I thought Macs never go wrong...surely that is why they cost such ridiculous amounts of money
    That would be naive, but then you're just being sarcastic.

I suspect the iMacs in question have been subjected to abuse or they were sold non-Apple refurbished models (the bit about 1 year warranty from supplier mentioned, rather than saying "from Apple"), or they have been the unfortunate recipients of a bad batch off the assembly line with faulty drives or GPUs (neither of which are actually made by Apple). Apple easily beats all of the other computer manufacturers in reliability and customer service in independent surveys - http://www.macworld.com.au/news/surv.../#.UjUnLMsaySM

Also, the supposed "ridiculous amounts of money" suggested as a premium for Macs was the case 6+ years ago, but with the move to more "PC" x86 components that difference has shrunk and shrunk where the difference in price is small and only due to higher quality controls and build quality, in some cases technical differentiation (Thunderbolt, Retina displays, superior SSD performance, battery life, better trackpads, Magsafe, etc.), and better service. When PC manufacturers have tried to match Apple with like for like (e.g. top-end Ultrabooks) the price difference amazingly disappears. The one exception is the Mac Pro, but people pay as much for the status symbol of them as for the performance. Kind of like paying 2-3 as much for a Lexus when it's really just a souped up, kitted out Toyota.
    Last edited by seawolf; 15th September 2013 at 07:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    You get what you pay for Our school here is a testament to that. 4 labs full of brand new workstation grade HP's are currently having some serious issues, which have been acknowledged by HP ... and zero timeline on a "fix" for them (given that it's most likely problematic motherboards I suspect the "fix" will be to return them all to HP for replacement as updated firmware didn't do much of anything to resolve the issues). On the other hand the 350+ brand new mac pros we deployed over the summer are running like tops (even the ones running windows).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    That would be naive, but then you're just being sarcastic.

I suspect the iMacs in question have been subjected to abuse or they were sold non-Apple refurbished models (the bit about 1 year warranty from supplier mentioned, rather than saying "from Apple"), or they have been the unfortunate recipients of a bad batch off the assembly line with faulty drives or GPUs (neither of which are actually made by Apple). Apple easily beats all of the other computer manufacturers in reliability and customer service in independent surveys - Survey: Apple's Mac line-up still tops consumer satisfaction and reliability - Macworld Australia - Macworld Australia

Also, the supposed "ridiculous amounts of money" suggested as a premium for Macs was the case 6+ years ago, but with the move to more "PC" x86 components that difference has shrunk and shrunk where the difference in price is small and only due to higher quality controls and build quality, in some cases technical differentiation (Thunderbolt, Retina displays, superior SSD performance, battery life, better trackpads, Magsafe, etc.), and better service. When PC manufacturers have tried to match Apple with like for like (e.g. top-end Ultrabooks) the price difference amazingly disappears. The one exception is the Mac Pro, but people pay as much for the status symbol of them as for the performance. Kind of like paying 2-3 as much for a Lexus when it's really just a souped up, kitted out Toyota.
    Better service? So if I have an issue with a drive or monitor I can just ring them and get them to send out a replacement the next day right, like hp. Or if some idiot teacher drowns a laptop I can just call up Apple and they will send out a tech the next day to replace the motherboard? Um, not the apple I know, apple care gets you the epic ability to take it to an apple store with an appointment for one of their 'geniuses' to dribble over for a day or two before I get a fix. Apple suck for business, they are after consumers and focuses on them, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded, look at the atv, consumer grade pos with no business alternative as the protocol was built by a bunch of children from 1990 with no idea what a subnet is. Or the logging of passwords to plain text thanks to a bug, or the not enforcing passwords thanks to a bug. There are good and bad products from every manufacturer but apple tends to be the last to admit it and the worst at fixing it for all the users, the g4 laptop screen cook incident, the gpu flipchip incident that they fixed by ramping up system fans so they failed out of warranty, the 27" IMac blueing screen incident, the timemachine, timebomb incident. All of these were denied for ages by apple and many users got burned by it. Their behaviour is far from good service and when they do something wrong is actually some of the worst from any manufacturer.

Thank Post
    The problem is for most manufactuers and this is why Apple gets the "top" customer service is because they take their shiny item to the shop and see how amazing everything is, everything there is even more shiny. Then a "genius" tells them they have borked up their device and takes it off them to fix. They get a phone call and then they go and collect it, and people feel they are in control of the situation and like talkign to a person. The whole process might take 2 weeks though.

However, other manufactuers usually do a pick up and return. People don't like it, they feel they have to wait in for someone to come and collect it and then they are forced to wait in for it to be returned as well. It is definitely less convenient for a lot of people. The process might take only 4 days but people feel more inconvienced having to wait in for a "non-personal" service.

For businesses however, the return to base or engineer coming on site is the best option, because we are at work 8-5 or whatever every day fo the week. It isn't inconvenient for them to come anytime between 9-5 etc etc.

It is all about who you gear your service for, and Apple target consumers as already stated.

Back to the original person's query, you can get contracts with authorised repairers for free repairs, or just free labour etc, even after "Apple Care" has run out. So that is your option.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast