+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Imaging Mac OS X 10.8 ML in Technical; Hey all, So I have built the image and have it on the server. When I option boot my client ...

Thank Post

Red face Imaging Mac OS X 10.8 ML

Hey all,

So I have built the image and have it on the server. When I option boot my client macs, I see the "netrestore" option that I need, but as soon as I select it and continue, nothing else happens. I don't see "connected clients" from the server.

I don't think its a networking issue, as I'm able to view the option for restoring... Where would one find any boot logs to see if there is anything I'm missing.

Would anyone else have any thoughts/ideas?

Any and all help would be cool

Thanks guys!

Thank Post
    Hi,

sorry I cant help you with this issue, but I have been imaging 10.8 using Deploy Studio and works great.
    just an idea if you need an alternative. really easy to set up .

Jamie

Thank Post
    Thanks,

I've used DS in the past, was just hoping to use the Apple Software. I was finally able to get this going. Just posting now for anyone else's sake.

I have a partitioned HD on my server. I created the partition for storage. I turned on cache service, and have the cached files located in the partition. I turned on the netinstall service, and pointed it at the same Library folder that was created for cache server.

The issue is this, Cache server's permissions to the Library and subsequent folders are incorrect for use with netinstall. I needed to add Root as the owner, and wheel as the group instead of whatever Cache server put in by default.

That was essentially it...

Now if only I can get this image to multicast... I can't connect multiple clients to the server...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tclarke2910 View Post
    Thanks,

I've used DS in the past, was just hoping to use the Apple Software. I was finally able to get this going. Just posting now for anyone else's sake.

I have a partitioned HD on my server. I created the partition for storage. I turned on cache service, and have the cached files located in the partition. I turned on the netinstall service, and pointed it at the same Library folder that was created for cache server.

The issue is this, Cache server's permissions to the Library and subsequent folders are incorrect for use with netinstall. I needed to add Root as the owner, and wheel as the group instead of whatever Cache server put in by default.

That was essentially it...

Now if only I can get this image to multicast... I can't connect multiple clients to the server...
    Can I ask why you want to stick with the built-in Netinstall system for imaging? There is a reason why DeployStudio is so popular. It's easy to setup, fast, and more capable than the default Apple solution. I really do think you're going through a lot of trouble for no gain, but...if you insist.

Make sure you're creating a NetRestore image rather than a NetInstall image with System Image Utility. And are you certain that you are actually doing Multicast? You can image more than one client at a time without doing multicast. What have you setup that would force it to be multicast? Just thinking that the problem could be in what you have done here to try to force that (if you in fact have). By default NetRestore is not Multicast.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread