+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Connecting Mac to windows share - gets whole server! in Technical; Heya, I'm trying to set up a windows share on a mac but when i connect to smb://10.0.0.1/SHARENAME in the ...
    Thank Post

Connecting Mac to windows share - gets whole server!

Heya,

I'm trying to set up a windows share on a mac but when i connect to smb://10.0.0.1/SHARENAME in the left hand bar in the finder it doesn't come up with the folder i wanted it says 10.0.0.1, if you click that it then gives you access to a number of other shared folders on the server that i don't want them to have access to. How do i set it so that it only connects to the folder i want it to?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    What version of OS X

Thank Post
    erm... 10.8.4

Thank Post
    You should only be able to go into shares that they have permission to go into. If your permissions are set correctly there's nothing to worry about.

But...

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Untick "Show Connected Servers" under 'SHARED'

Now drag & drop the end-point (shared folder) you want them to see to the sidebar. You should then be able to pick up and distribute
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    to your clients via WGM on a per-group basis etc.

5. Thanks to Marci from:

Pyroman (23rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Think its related to lion and mountain lion using smbx instead of just smb

Pages of stuff here on an apple forum

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If enterprise there is this

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

If personal then maybe this

http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

NOTE for smbup ( all the below notes are stated on the smbup site )

NOTE: SMBUp installs Samba, which in turn replaces Apple’s OS X’s native netbios and SMB services. This means that while connecting to servers from the Finder remains functional, the Finder won’t be able to “browse” network services and servers from the network won’t show up in the Finder’s sidebar. Be advised.

NOTE: SMBUp installs Samba, which is a third party software with its own limitations, bugs and incompatibilities. The most visible of this is a problem with handling native OS X (especially Administrator users). The Samba team doesn’t see a reason to fix this and existing workarounds don’t really address the problem. In case the user you want to create is in this situation you’ll see an error from SMBUp telling you that it can’t create it itself. In this case you’ll need to create a local sharing-only user in your machine and create the user in the terminal directly.

NOTE: A post has been published with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). You can find it at http://eduo.info/2013/07/13/smbup-faq

HTH a bit

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Pyroman (23rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    You should only be able to go into shares that they have permission to go into. If your permissions are set correctly there's nothing to worry about.

But...

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Untick "Show Connected Servers" under 'SHARED'

Now drag & drop the end-point (shared folder) you want them to see to the sidebar. You should then be able to pick up and distribute
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    to your clients via WGM on a per-group basis etc.
    Has the smbx issue been sorted out then to work with smb or visa versa ?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I honestly dunno fella - never experienced the SMBX issues directly myself... everything's always worked fine for me *shrug*.

I've always forced "Show Connected Servers" off in Finder > prefs > sidebar tho as it's always shown the Server root, whereas showing "connected servers" on desktop (finder > prefs > general) always shows the actual share end-point, and then drag n' dropped that to Favorites in sidebar for convenience.

11. Thanks to Marci from:

mac_shinobi (23rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is not an SMBX issue. If they are able to access shares they shouldn't then you don't have your permissions set correctly, it's as simple as that. The Mac is just exposing an existing permissions issue.

Now, if you can see all of the shares on the server in the sidebar, but the user can only access the ones you want them to then its working correctly and your permissions are not a problem. That is expected behaviour.. I normally turn off the finder sidebar showing connected servers and computers so users aren't confused. That way the user can only see the shares they have access to on the desktop or by clicking on the computer icon in the sidebar.

With SMB on a Windows file server, you do lose spotlight searching and speeds are slower than with AFP. We use ExtremeZ-IP to provide native AFP file services and spotlight searching on our Windows file servers. It makes using windows print services easier on the mac than PC as well. With ExtremeZ-IP our macs can mount shares and transfer files as fast as Windows clients and can search file shares far faster than PCs due to the spotlight indexing.

Another alternative I like to use to host files in a mixed client environment is to use a FreeNAS server, which provides both SMB and AFP file sharing services as well spas excellent AD integration for authentication.

13. Thanks to seawolf from:

Thank Post
    Sorry the question wasn't phased terribly well, as a staff member they have Permissions on those folders but for my purposes they don't need access (they need to get to a staff shared area over VPN but don't really need to access the APPS folder and global shares etc.) I just wanted to make it nice and easy so it just goes straioght to the STAFF share. I've done this by hiding the connected servers and just adding the STAFF folder to favorites in the sidebar. Thank for your help =D

15. Thanks to Pyroman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This is not an SMBX issue. If they are able to access shares they shouldn't then you don't have your permissions set correctly, it's as simple as that. The Mac is just exposing an existing permissions issue.

Now, if you can see all of the shares on the server in the sidebar, but the user can only access the ones you want them to then its working correctly and your permissions are not a problem. That is expected behaviour.. I normally turn off the finder sidebar showing connected servers and computers so users aren't confused. That way the user can only see the shares they have access to on the desktop or by clicking on the computer icon in the sidebar.

With SMB on a Windows file server, you do lose spotlight searching and speeds are slower than with AFP. We use ExtremeZ-IP to provide native AFP file services and spotlight searching on our Windows file servers. It makes using windows print services easier on the mac than PC as well. With ExtremeZ-IP our macs can mount shares and transfer files as fast as Windows clients and can search file shares far faster than PCs due to the spotlight indexing.

Another alternative I like to use to host files in a mixed client environment is to use a FreeNAS server, which provides both SMB and AFP file sharing services as well spas excellent AD integration for authentication.
    So smbx works with smb 2.0 then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only problems I've seen with it are that some Windows clients (and all Xerox copiers) are unable to connect to an SMBX file share hosted on a 10.8 server. 10.6 and prior mac clients might also have problems, but I haven't tested that. I've found no issues the other way around though (Mac client to Windows server).

18. Thanks to seawolf from:

Thank Post
    I will just stay subscribed and watch this thread :-)

Appologies @Pyroman - hopefully Antonio can help
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd July 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I will just stay subscribed and watch this thread :-)

Appologies @Pyroman - hopefully Antonio can help
    No worries, i've done what i needed to do :-) I'm a total mac novice. Usually when you specify a windows share in windows it points you to that share only ( I know if you browsed then the same credentials would allow you into others), it just surprised me that it gave you a link to the server with the other shares, not just the one i was after.

21. Thanks to Pyroman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post

Extremez-IP - is that free ? Also If not then how much ? Also what is there website ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast