+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Connecting Mac to windows share - gets whole server! in Technical; Originally Posted by mac_shinobi Extremez-IP - is that free ? Also If not then how much ? Also what is ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Extremez-IP - is that free ? Also If not then how much ? Also what is there website ?
    http://www.grouplogic.com/enterprise...-file-sharing/

No, it's not free, but the license is perpetual and for concurrent clients (not per seat). The price may scare away some, and for the 3 and 10 client license versions I think it is too expensive - unless the 3 or 10 clients you needed to support were the heads of the organisation - but the cost for 25 or more are very reasonable if you make use of allow the features including the ExtremeZ-IP Zidget (fantastic for BYOM - "Bring Your Own Mac"). Schools do get a discount off the retail pricing. It's not half off, but it is cheaper.

http://www.grouplogic.com/store/inde...199&fa=pricing

2. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (23rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    You can install coLinux and the AFP protocol on Windows, and then map thru that to get what ExtremezIP charge for...

4. Thanks to Marci from:

mac_shinobi (25th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    You can install coLinux and the AFP protocol on Windows, and then map thru that to get what ExtremezIP charge for...
    I haven't tried coLinux, but AFP protocol isn't available for W2K8 R2. This used to be possible to do on SVR 2003, but MS stopped developing it. In any case, ExtremeZ-IP doesn't just provide AFP file services, it also supports DFS, spotlight searching on the Windows server, and also provides Windows print services that just work. It also has the Zidget (widget), which makes it much more user friendly in a school or BYOD environment.

I tried all of the free or inexpensive solutions at the time before purchasing ExtremeZ-IP, but none of them held a candle to it in ease of use, features, and performance (for IT and the end-user). The other solutions might be adequate in some instances or if you have a cash-starved IT budget.

6. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I haven't tried coLinux, but AFP protocol isn't available for W2K8 R2. This used to be possible to do on SVR 2003, but MS stopped developing it. In any case, ExtremeZ-IP doesn't just provide AFP file services, it also supports DFS, spotlight searching on the Windows server, and also provides Windows print services that just work. It also has the Zidget (widget), which makes it much more user friendly in a school or BYOD environment.

I tried all of the free or inexpensive solutions at the time before purchasing ExtremeZ-IP, but none of them held a candle to it in ease of use, features, and performance (for IT and the end-user). The other solutions might be adequate in some instances or if you have a cash-starved IT budget.
    OS X 10.9 is from what I can gather going to use smb 2

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06...ng-by-default/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-109-mavericks

Not to imply or say that extreme z is redundant with all of its features

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    OS X 10.9 is from what I can gather going to use smb 2

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06...ng-by-default/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-109-mavericks

Not to imply or say that extreme z is redundant with all of its features
    SMB2 has several advantages over AFP, but unless Apple is able to implement spotlight metadata in the protocol (which I have heard no mention of in any technical articles) then I will continue to use AFP for a while longer in favour of SMB2. Losing spotlight searching of network shares isn't something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully Apple will find some way to keep all of that spotlight goodness with SMB in the future, perhaps using a Win SVR service or plugin.

9. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    SMB2 has several advantages over AFP, but unless Apple is able to implement spotlight metadata in the protocol (which I have heard no mention of in any technical articles) then I will continue to use AFP for a while longer in favour of SMB2. Losing spotlight searching of network shares isn't something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully Apple will find some way to keep all of that spotlight goodness with SMB in the future, perhaps using a Win SVR service or plugin.
    Thumbs up to that and im with you on spotlight !!

RAS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    You should only be able to go into shares that they have permission to go into. If your permissions are set correctly there's nothing to worry about.

But...

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Untick "Show Connected Servers" under 'SHARED'

Now drag & drop the end-point (shared folder) you want them to see to the sidebar. You should then be able to pick up and distribute
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    to your clients via WGM on a per-group basis etc.
    Hi. Do you know how to do this using Mavericks Server (i.e., without WGM)? Thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Hi. Do you know how to do this using Mavericks Server (i.e., without WGM)? Thanks!
    You would need to do this with either ARD or something like Casper Suite, which can push out policies containing edited plist files with the custom settings. You can't do this with Profile Manager (unless I have really missed something in using it over the past two years!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12