+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Mac Thread, Cost of implementing 20 photography Macs into Active Directory in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf I could pick both Windows and Mac apart in their weaknesses if I wanted too (and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I could pick both Windows and Mac apart in their weaknesses if I wanted too (and without even touching the steam coming off of Win 8), but what does that do for anyone? Most of the people on this thread are just dogging Macs irrationally and with little knowledge. PCs and Macs both have their place, but only to those without a closed mind.

Off to other threads that are more edifying...
    Maybe you could do that via pm as I would be interested to know :-)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    But you are only looking at the cpu not the filing system or any other aspects ( windows ntfs which is not organised when written to the disk hence the defrag utility versus hfs+ on os x journalled and on a pc you would need a non windows os to get an indexed / journalled FS as far as I know. Could be wrong on that point and as stated above I just wanted to see a comparison out of personal curiosity
    NTFS is a journaled file system, and this is a feature that's unrelated to fragmentation, etc.

HFS+ and NTFS both have their own strengths and weaknesses but this isn't part of it.

3. Thanks to Roberto from:

mac_shinobi (28th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    NTFS is a journaled file system, and this is a feature that's unrelated to fragmentation, etc.

HFS+ and NTFS both have their own strengths and weaknesses but this isn't part of it.
    @Roberto

Should rtfm before I make daft posts and am wrong on all counts on that post. Apologies for that. Yes you're totally right regards to both having strengths and weaknesses

I think Im thinking of the hfs plus catalog file to allow for faster file / folder searching and still looking but not sure if os x ( hfs + ) writes data in a chronological order ( due to disk optimisation software being available such as Drive Genius )

I did find an article advising against disk optimisation( from what I understood although could be wrong ) as it would conflict with OS X 10.2 or laters routines that are in place to auto defrag etc as per below

http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/defrag.htm

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/help...j/pgs/why.html

Only way on windows to try and auto defrag / optimise is on windows 7 to schedule to do it daily or at set dates or times which isn't ideal as I prefer to defrag when

I have got no applications in use aside from the os and bacground services ie Anti-Virus etc

That ive also cleared temp files and the likes / disk cleanup etc

The better way on windows that ive found is an opensource util called ultra defrag which you can set to defrag / optimise on bootup which with rebooting quite often as I shut down at the end of each day I know it will do what it needs to do before I can use the pc so I personally prefer ultradefrag over the windows one
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 28th July 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I am trying to maintain an impartial, open mind about this, but you can probably sense a thread of agreement running through my posts. You can get some gorgeous 27" monitors, we have the screen calibration hardware, and I will get Photoshop running like a dream on an x64 install.

On a personal level, of course I would like to know more about Macs, and add that line to my CV - but it isn't about me. It's about what's best for the school and the best use of money.

I will even buy them white monitors if it makes them happy. On a related note, does anyone have an Apple logo stencil and a can of grey spray paint in the right shade?
    A few years ago we stuck some old apple logo stickers on a bunch of Dell computers. Several members of staff commented about how good it was to finally have Mac computers! Brilliant, we didn't even have to paint them white!

6. 2 Thanks to gill:

LosOjos (26th March 2014), mac_shinobi (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    There is only one fundamental reason for a school to buy a mac rather than a PC, and that is if you are planning to run mac only software. It's a big reason, it's a good reason, It's one I wouldn’t argue with.

If you are just using PC based software, then a MAC is a pointless waste of taxpayers money IMHO. Get a PC, save yourself 50%, and ease your support workload.

If your HOD wants mac's just "because" then he can fund the extra cost compared to a same spec PC from his capitation. See how much he "needs" a mac then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the record (as this is a bit of a necro now): I emailed off the PO this morning for all the machines going into the new Art & Drama block, with nary a Mac amongst them. The room in question is getting 27" 1440p IPS monitors attached to i5-4440 machines with 8GB RAM and Samsung 840 EVO SSDs for a combined cost of £635 (including five year warranty). Equivalent iMac would have been over £1300 - more than twice as much.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 26th March 2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: missing word

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    For the record (as this is a bit of a necro now): I emailed off the PO this morning for all the machines going into the new Art & Drama block, with nary a Mac amongst them. The room in question is getting 27" 1440p IPS monitors attached to i5-4440 machines with 8GB RAM and Samsung 840 EVO SSDs for a combined cost of £635 (including five year warranty). Equivalent iMac would have over £1300 - more than twice as much.
    Good to know there's a happy ending to this. As much as I personally love my macs at home and support their use in business/education where appropriate, your issue was always a case of someone going 'oooh shiny... *drool*' and its nice to see public funds not get wasted because someone is easily distracted.

10. Thanks to Roberto from:

Jwzg (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    We actually had an opposite situation at our school where we are 1-1 Mac. A coworker said we needed 15 Windows desktop computers to run our engineering academy software (Autodesk Inventor) as well as a switch and cables to outfit the room. This would have cost in the neighborhood of $15K. I simply suggested charging the students $100 a year over three years and bought them MacBook Pro's with 8GB of RAM and a BootCamp partition. Problem solved for no extra money (we already had licenses for Windows 7 installations). The co-worker wanted to go fisticuffs, LOL. I told him he could talk to my boss, and that was the end of it.

12. Thanks to Jwzg from:

Brimstone (27th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information