+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
Mac Thread, Cost of implementing 20 photography Macs into Active Directory in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf As long as it's done with a PC right? Did I say that? I'm largely platform ...
  1. #31


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,878
    Thank Post
    258
    Thanked 767 Times in 582 Posts
    Rep Power
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    As long as it's done with a PC right?
    Did I say that? I'm largely platform agnostic - my platform evangelism withered a long time back (atari ST vs Amiga, 6502 vs Z80, PIC vs Amtel). In a school with limited budgets and resources, value for money must be a factor and Mac's generally provide less value for money than other platforms.
    Sorry, I disagree. You can't teach a student how to build an iOS app with a PC and a Nexus 7, you do it with a Mac and iOS (and vice versa). You don't teach a student to play the drums by teaching them how to read music and giving them piano lessons.
    Fair enough with the drums you are stuck, but they are a very specific instrument and schools do specific instrument lessons as part of a more general study of Music. The subjects we teach where people clamour for Mac's are DT, Art and Music. We don't run courses "iOS app building" we run "Programming", "Computing" or "ICT". We don't generally have courses "Mac Illustrator Design", we teach the concepts of design, that students can apply through a variety of technology - even <gasp> pen and paper.
    This idea that we only have to teach generic, one-size fits all skills philosophy is a crock in the actual real world we live in. Teaching real skills and not just concepts is what students crave and need. Teaching them "concepts" is what makes too many students disinterested, unfulfilled, aimless and without ambition for learning. Real learning motivates students for further learning, teaching concepts is dull and boring.
    My point is that the ultimate aim is to teach the concepts. You might do that through specific skills but you should not subsume the teaching of concepts for the teaching of skills. Education is not about being a factory producing robots which businesses can then put to work. It is about giving people skills that will be useful through their whole life.

  2. #32
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,227
    Thank Post
    50
    Thanked 271 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    A couple of things that seem to be forgotten with this whole anti-Mac thread going here is that a great many graphics departments and companies in the "real" world will be using Macs and there actually is such a thing as Mac-specific graphics software, plugins, and workflow customisations. That is, software that is only available for the mac or workflows that have only been created with Macs and Mac software in mind. Forget this "there is a PC equivalent for everything Mac" business because you would shoot down anyone saying that there was a Mac equivalent for everything PC - because there isn't. If you think Photoshop or CS Suite is the whole of the design software universe - you're mistaken.

    While it might not be the reason the Departments want the Macs, there is actually a good reason to use them in graphics, design, and art classes in preference to PCs - because if the students continue in a career in those fields there is a high probability they will end up using Macs (which they may have never used before). It is a good thing for them to be exposed to them now, don't you think. Alternatively, in IT courses I would be trying to expose students to a variety of platforms - including UNIX, Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android - because they may end up having to support or develop for any mix of them.

    So let's stop the hating and start the thinking...this doesn't have to be an either/or thing.
    I don't know if you mean me specifically or just this thread in general but I need to reply to this.

    First of all, let me say that I am not anti-Mac. In this flat, there are three Macs, three iPhones, three iPods, an Apple TV and an Airport Extreme. I buy films and music from iTunes and I subscribe to iTunes Match. I've been using Macs since the days of Vista (Guess what drove me to OS X in the first place) and my GF has been using them for even longer. I use them day in, day out, I've spent my own money on them and I like them a lot.

    In an ideal world, I'd agree with you. However, this isn't an ideal world. I don't know how things are over in Australia but schools and colleges here are getting their budgets cut right, left and centre. We can't afford to spend money on buying and supporting multiple platforms if it's not necessary. If the OP had said "My school is going to be teaching video and sound editing using Final Cut and Logic Pro, I need to buy a suite of Macs for that", you'd have a point. However he didn't, he gave the impression that they'll be using Adobe Creative Suite on them and little else. If the teachers at my place are anything to go buy, I would imagine that one of them pouted that "Macs are better, I want Macs" and didn't give much of a reason for it. Even an ardent Mac fan like me can see the futility in this. Why buy an entire suite of Macs for (best case scenario) 60% more than a suite of Windows PCs would cost (Basic Mac mini costs 500, keyboard and mouse would be 20. Ignoring Thunderbolt, same spec PC would be about 350) when a Windows PC can do what they want to do? And the Macs alone wouldn't be the only cost. You'll need to spend extra money on infrastructure (can't manage Macs without something additional, be it a Mac server or third party software), training (Someone who's used to Windows will take one look at a Mac and have a meltdown, especially if they're not technical), support (speaking as a tech who has to look after them professionally, you'll need it), software (There will be some piece of Windows software that the user will want to use and you'll either have to find an equivalent, purchase a terminal server or use a virtualisation package).

    Unless the school can specify an actual specific need for a Mac, (Logic, Final Cut, whatever) they're a waste of money. I'm sorry, they are. If my college didn't have that need identified, I'd get rid of them as soon as the hardware had finished its life cycle.

  3. 3 Thanks to Norphy:

    AButters (26th March 2014), Roberto (28th July 2013), sonofsanta (26th July 2013)

  4. #33

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    You're welcome.

    If someone does try to strongarm you into using Macs for no good reason, these screenshots may be useful to you:

    Attachment 19057
    Photoshop CS5 on a Mac

    Attachment 19060
    Photoshop CS5 on a Windows PC

    Apart from minor OS related UI differences, they're exactly the fracking same. Wave those at whoever says "But Macs are better for Photoshop"
    That's just the GUI not a video comparing doing a bunch of complex image manipulations on a high res image on a similarly spec'ed pc and mac and comparing how quick they are at doing the tasks etc

    Im not debating which ones better etc just saying the above as

    1.) I would like to see a fair comparison done
    2.) want to see how they are against each other

  5. #34

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,528
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    This argument is entirely pointless. The software is optimised for x86 processors and the related architecture. Both OS X and Windows run on the same chips. Any difference between the 2 is going to be minimal, especially at school level.

    If you want Macs, as you want to run a heterogeneous environment, go for it. Doing so is even in the national curriculum now. Specifically, the curriculum specifies using multiple, recent, platforms.
    Last edited by localzuk; 25th July 2013 at 07:29 PM.

  6. Thanks to localzuk from:

    mac_shinobi (26th July 2013)

  7. #35

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This argument is entirely pointless. The software is optimised for x86 processors and the related architecture. Both OS X and Windows run on the same chips. Any difference between the 2 is going to be minimal, especially at school level.

    If you want Macs, as you want to run a heterogeneous environment, go for it. Doing so is even in the national curriculum now. Specifically, the curriculum specifies using multiple, recent, platforms.
    But you are only looking at the cpu not the filing system or any other aspects ( windows ntfs which is not organised when written to the disk hence the defrag utility versus hfs+ on os x journalled and on a pc you would need a non windows os to get an indexed / journalled FS as far as I know. Could be wrong on that point and as stated above I just wanted to see a comparison out of personal curiosity
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 25th July 2013 at 08:10 PM.

  8. #36

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,528
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    But you are only looking at the cpu not the filing system or any other aspects ( windows ntfs which is not organised when written to the disk hence the defrag utility versus hfs+ on os x journalled and on a pc you would need a non windows os to get an indexed / journalled FS as far as I know. Could be wrong on that point and as stated above I just wanted to see a comparison out of personal curiosity
    In a school, you really won't notice the difference. Especially if you choose SSD based storage. (Also, note that HFS+ is not a good filesystem. Even Linus Torvalds doesn't like it - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/horr...tter-crap/1278).
    Last edited by localzuk; 25th July 2013 at 08:27 PM.

  9. Thanks to localzuk from:

    mac_shinobi (26th July 2013)

  10. #37


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    OS X does have some advantages over Windows. Installing fonts is a very good example - something our media students do quite a lot of.

    • On OS X, limited users can install fonts themselves because they each have their own fonts folder (~/Library/Fonts).
    • On Windows, users would have to get someone with admin rights to install them (usually an IT technician/manager). Because of this, many students simply stick with the default fonts included with the OS.

    Automator, folder actions and colour-coded folders are all quite useful too. You don't really have any equivalents to those on Windows.

  11. Thanks to Arthur from:

    mac_shinobi (25th July 2013)

  12. #38

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    In a school, you really won't notice the difference. Especially if you choose SSD based storage. (Also, note that HFS+ is not a good filesystem. Even Linus Torvalds doesn't like it - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/horr...tter-crap/1278).
    Thats not a good article as it just keeps saying that leopards fs is crap and thats from leopard vs vista. Also it mentions a new framework in leopard yet he still chose leopard over vista but then goes onto comparing programming on the two platforms ( yet how does that relate to the fs on either platform )?

    Then goes onto say how linux fs beats the other oses hands down ( at least windows and os x ).

    Where are the examples and how do the linux FS'es beat windows or OS X and I can't see a mention of what parts or aspects of hfs+ are crap and the same for windows as far as what bits or parts are rubbish and also what bits of whichever linux fs are so good ?

    Also when he says linux FS - which one(s) is he comparing hfs+ / ntfs to ??

    ext 2,3 or 4, or what exactly ?

    Just want to know if there is any difference between hfs+ vs ntfs also taking into consideration trim support if using flash storage ie ssd or PCIe ssd / flash when using the same application

    Saw this comment in the article you linked to and it made me laugh. Not really related to the above

    Linus is just mad...

    ...because he doesn't have the clout and following that Jobs and Woz have.

    Hey, Linus, hear that? It's the world's smallest violin and it's playing a sad sad song just for you.

    (Why else would he say that Linux is better, when it too has it's own short-comings?)

    nix_hed
    6 February, 2008 13:18
    Reply Vote
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 25th July 2013 at 10:13 PM.

  13. #39


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    @localzuk is right. HFS+ isn't particular great...

    What's wrong with HFS+ Ars Technica

    HFS+ has served Apple well, and probably for far longer than its designers ever imagined it would. But like all the other Apple-related products and technologies that fit this description (e.g., classic Mac OS, Carbon, PowerPC), there comes a time when things once treasured must pass from this world.
    Last year's Lion review detailed the problems of HFS+. Lion offered some hope in the form of Core Storage, Apple's new logical volume manager, which was used to implement File Vault 2's whole-disk encryption feature. At the time, I wondered if the technology in Core Storage could be used as a starting point for a new, better file system. Alas, Mountain Lion brings no such advancements. (Source)
    We've had a couple of Mac's at school that have had HFS+ related issues. The Mac's wouldn't boot and OS X was unable to repair the file-system. I had to boot from a Ubuntu disc in order to recover the data from the hard drives and then re-install the operating system.

  14. Thanks to Arthur from:

    mac_shinobi (25th July 2013)

  15. #40

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @localzuk is right. HFS+ isn't particular great...

    What's wrong with HFS+ Ars Technica





    We've had a couple of Mac's at school that have had HFS+ related issues. The Mac's wouldn't boot and OS X was unable to repair the file-system. I had to boot from a Ubuntu disc in order to recover the data from the hard drives and then re-install the operating system.
    Thanks that was a good read and article. Scary. Have you got a guide on how you used an ubuntu disc to recover data on os x. Just in case I need to do that

    Reading that apple clearly need to do a new FS from the ground up thats more suited to unix and also the newer hardware and do hard links and other features in a much better way than hfs+ does
    @localzuk and @Arthur

    Not arguing what FS or OS is better etc but just trying to take into consideration all the pros and cons of both OSes / hardware etc namely windows and os x here. As the original post I think was get a pc with windows software or get a mac with whatever software and the only way to see in my eyes would be like I said to do bench marks on similar hardware with similar OSes in terms of comparing say OS X Lion with Windows 7 as I presume mountain lion was released more or less in line with win 8??

    Trying to be neutral here ref all my posts and at the same time see how all the pros and cons of each os and hardware build would effect using said software in the example given was photoshop cs 5 I believe

    Presume 10.9 maverick is still sticking with hfs+ as cant see mention of file system updates etc at least nothing drastic
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 25th July 2013 at 11:06 PM.

  16. #41

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Good article and a petition ref trying to get apple to get or use a modern FS

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02...-in-os-x-10-9/

  17. #42


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,709
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Have you got a guide on how you used an ubuntu disc to recover data on OS X. Just in case I need to do that
    Luckily for me it was quite simple since all the data I needed to copy was in the /Users folder and the file-system was still readable by Linux. The following is pretty much all I did.

    1. Download the latest Mac-specific ISO (currently ubuntu-13.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso) and burn to DVD or USB flash drive.
    2. Boot the Mac into Ubuntu and chose the option to run it from the disc/flash drive (as opposed to installing it to the HDD).
    3. Open the Terminal app, type 'gksudo nautlius' (and press Enter) to launch Nautlius with root privileges. This enables you to access all of the files on the Mac's drive without any permission issues.
    4. Go to File Connect to Server, enter the relevant details and copy the data you need over the network to another computer. Alternatively, connect an external HDD and copy the data to that.

  18. #43

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    906
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 274 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @localzuk is right. HFS+ isn't particular great...

    What's wrong with HFS+ Ars Technica

    We've had a couple of Mac's at school that have had HFS+ related issues. The Mac's wouldn't boot and OS X was unable to repair the file-system. I had to boot from a Ubuntu disc in order to recover the data from the hard drives and then re-install the operating system.
    If you haven't run into some of NTFS' inherent flaws you haven't been using it long enough. Forced to choose between NTFS and HFS+ - I'll take the latter any day. And yes, there are much better file systems than both.

  19. Thanks to seawolf from:

    mac_shinobi (26th July 2013)

  20. #44

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    906
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 274 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    173
    I could pick both Windows and Mac apart in their weaknesses if I wanted too (and without even touching the steam coming off of Win 8), but what does that do for anyone? Most of the people on this thread are just dogging Macs irrationally and with little knowledge. PCs and Macs both have their place, but only to those without a closed mind.

    Off to other threads that are more edifying...

  21. #45

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    If you haven't run into some of NTFS' inherent flaws you haven't been using it long enough. Forced to choose between NTFS and HFS+ - I'll take the latter any day. And yes, there are much better file systems than both.
    Maybe an old example but something like this

    http://www.retosphere.de/tipsandtric...hp?menu_id=24&

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •