+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, How to manage iPads in schools where VPP not available? in Technical; I am trying to set up an iPad scheme with 24 iPads in a school in Portugal, where Apple's VPP ...

Thank Post

How to manage iPads in schools where VPP not available?

I am trying to set up an iPad scheme with 24 iPads in a school in Portugal, where Apple's VPP program is not available yet. I understand that, in this environment (multiple users and multiple devices) you have to purchase each app for each device, and I think we will have to use iTunes Gift Cards to purchase apps for each iPad.

I have a few questions which I am hoping members of this community will be able to help me with:

1. Am I right in thinking that I will need a different iTunes Gift Card for each iPad?
    2. Can all 24 iPads be linked to the same iTunes account, or will I need multiple accounts?
    3. Is it possible to use Apple Configurator to set up the iPads if you are not using the VPP scheme?
    4. If not, then is there any point getting a trolley that syncs as well as charges, or will each iPad have to be sync'ed individually if not using Apple Configurator?

Many thanks in advance for any answers or advice!

Mr. H

Thank Post
    1. iTunes gift cards simply add money to an iTunes account, so doesn't matter,

2. Yes, single account, but to keep in licensing without VPP you're going to have to have one account per iPad to buy the app each time, so in r.e to Q1, you'll probably want 1 gift card per account

3. Yes, but you're going to have to sync apps across using iTunes after the inital Configurator setup on each iPad

4. See Q3, you can still sync each device at the same time, but you'll need some manual intervention with iTunes.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, BC.

Rather than using Configurator for the initial setup, what do you think of the idea I read somewhere of setting up one iPad exactly how you want it, then backing it up to iTunes, then restoring that back-up to all the other iPads so they are identical? Is it even legal?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misterharrison View Post
    Thanks for the reply, BC.

Rather than using Configurator for the initial setup, what do you think of the idea I read somewhere of setting up one iPad exactly how you want it, then backing it up to iTunes, then restoring that back-up to all the other iPads so they are identical? Is it even legal?
    As you don't have access to VPP I would;

Use Apple Configurator just to push a profile to the devices, don't supervise them as this turns off access to iTunes.

Just buy a single copy of the app you need and sync using iTunes, if you have a trolley with sync then use this.

I had plenty of schools all using this before VPP arrived in the UK, using iTunes credit vouchers to do this means you have to manage every device, set up Apple iTunes accounts on every one, far too much work in my opinion.

Backing up a single iPad and restoring to the rest is good idea.

Bear in mind though that no apps are backed up when you do this, all that happens is the customised settings on each iPad get backed up, such as bookmarks, app folders. When you then restore, apps are put in the same place and folder.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    As you don't have access to VPP I would;

Use Apple Configurator just to push a profile to the devices, don't supervise them as this turns off access to iTunes.

Just buy a single copy of the app you need and sync using iTunes, if you have a trolley with sync then use this.

I had plenty of schools all using this before VPP arrived in the UK, using iTunes credit vouchers to do this means you have to manage every device, set up Apple iTunes accounts on every one, far too much work in my opinion.

Backing up a single iPad and restoring to the rest is good idea.

Bear in mind though that no apps are backed up when you do this, all that happens is the customised settings on each iPad get backed up, such as bookmarks, app folders. When you then restore, apps are put in the same place and folder.
    Our iPads are supervised to my Mac, I was still able to sync all our apps to them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread