+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Mac Thread, ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Err... Where can you get a core 2 duo of the same spec as the macbook ...

Thank Post

Re: ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Err... Where can you get a core 2 duo of the same spec as the macbook pro, with hard disk of the same size, with graphics card of the same spec, with a DVD-DL drive etc... for £349?? I'd love to be able to get that!!

which has the following spec: 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 128Mb graphics, 120GB HDD and a 15" screen),
    Full page of them here http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSea...true&intPage=2

Heres an Acer (personally not keen on acer mind) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132848

Heres a higher spec HP one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133518...specifications

#
    So although he exagerated by saying £15k, £7-10k is quite easily achievable. And lets be right about it, you dont need a good GFX card or DVD-w for schools. So if you have a look theres a HP one with same spec as the mac for £425 ex vat, so what? Rough work out of around £13-14k saving...

Like said £13k is ALOT of money for the prettyness, and for 1 program which isnt avalible on PC; Garageband.
    £13k would buy you another 30 laptops! Ignoring the chance of a +150% increase in laptop purchases is just plain wrong imo. Plus add a mac server and its reduandancy devices to the mix...

BTW localuk this isnt directed at you. My reply would be the same regardless of who posted. Im feeling much jollier today thanx

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy
    ok put price aside..... what about the mac....!?
    Well, the quality of build has, in recent years, gone down a bit - gone are the days of a computer you could throw a bomb at and it would survive and be happy to work for you. Now they regularly have issues with logic boards, graphics cards, backlights, etc... And the official Applecare Packs are quite expensive when compared to comparable products, and if you don't buy this and you have a problem after 90 days, you will have to argue with the people at the warranty place that you don't have to pay in order to ensure it isn't a software issue.

However, these are issues I have only come across rarely. Overall, they are a good buy and well worth it.
    I think design and usability wise Apple have taken a backward step with almost all aspects of the new macbooks compared to the ibook G3/G4's, except for the switch to intel which has been a success. The only thing the macbooks have over the old ibooks are the screen resolution and the new maglock (but i can't understand their decision to go with a 13.3 inch screen on the new macbooks) - in other areas, particularly keyboard, trackpad, screen size and build quality, the new products in my opinion are inferior.

Now if Apple can come out with ultraportable versions of the macbook and macbook pro a la the 12" ibooks/powerbooks they might convince me but until then the 17 inch Macbook Pro is their only desirable laptop in the range - and even then i'd choose the old 12 inch powerbook G4 and a new 14.1" thinkpad T61 for my mobile computing needs over that any day.

Thank Post

Well among the rants, reviews, bull whipping and anger management issues, I think I got some good responses in there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456