+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Mac Thread, ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr in Technical; Err... Where can you get a core 2 duo of the same spec as the macbook pro, with hard disk ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr

Err... Where can you get a core 2 duo of the same spec as the macbook pro, with hard disk of the same size, with graphics card of the same spec, with a DVD-DL drive etc... for £349?? I'd love to be able to get that!!

For an equivalent computer to the base macbook pro (which has the following spec: 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 128Mb graphics, 120GB HDD and a 15" screen), I had a look through the toshiba range available at insight, and the nearest I could come up with is the Toshiba Tecra M9-13A. It's spec is actually a little higher (2.4Ghz, 160GB HDD) but it has a smaller screen (14.1"). The price for the mac is 1099.99, the price for the toshiba is 1083.99...

Not quite £15k difference.

On the otherhand, the Toshiba Satellite Pro L40-12T, from Insight, would be £331 (the cheapest dual core - note, not core 2 duo). The longevity of the 2 above would likely be 5 years. This one would be 2 before it was sluggish... Especially with the impending Vista role-out coming in a year or so.

Thank Post

Just to add another alternative (the way that I have done this), is purchase iMacs and a second hand dual-G4 and a OS X Server license... you end up with a better server than using a Mac Mini but you don't have to shell out for an XServe.

For midi connection we use 2-port USB-MIDI interfaces and these work admirrably.

When I priced up the room with Mac Minis and monitors it came out more expensive than iMacs... I didn't even bother looking at Mac Pros!

Thank Post

One thing i will mention is check the prices on the pcwb site. If you have an account their prices can be competitive. A top end mac mini with a 17" screen a keyboard/mouse bundle £530 at one point.

We picked up a few good deals considering apple prices tend to be pretty similar everywhere.

At one point mac minis were (top end model) around £400 before the price cut. I had to double check if i recall correctly the spec to make sure it was right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

What you are also forgetting is that every time ANYONE purchases a Mac or any Apple product, God kills a kitten.
    Its true, I've seen it.

Thank Post

Well, i aint too keen on cats...Hmm, i only have enough in the budget for another 3000 macs...Kill away God!!

:-)

PEO
    Thank Post

ok put price aside..... what about the mac....!?

Thank Post

After the way i'm currently detesting Vista so much, i'm considering moving everything apple mac, cannot be any worse. God i hope i can skip Vista all togeather.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

i'm considering moving everything apple mac,
    Then you will have the death of many kittens on your mind. How on earth will you live with yourself ? Are all people from your neck of the woods kitten haters ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    After the way i'm currently detesting Vista so much, i'm considering moving everything apple mac, cannot be any worse. God i hope i can skip Vista all togeather.
    And you would do what with your current hardware which you can't run OSX on? Sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face to me... What's wrong with XP?

I don't get why so many people are jumping on the Vista+Office2k7 bandwagon already.

Thank Post

Nothing wrong with XP, Vista is the first OS MS have ever pumped out i have actually hated.

Office 2007 is great. Vista poo, we have 6 licences for vista here, so i could evalulate. I do not like Apple Mac's never have, but i hate Vista too, so where do you move to, i cannot stay on XP for ever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Linux? Use your existing hardware, no licences to pay, use as many copies as you want, give it away to students & staff, plus many more bonuses by default over Microsoft and Apple...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy
    ok put price aside..... what about the mac....!?
    Well, the quality of build has, in recent years, gone down a bit - gone are the days of a computer you could throw a bomb at and it would survive and be happy to work for you. Now they regularly have issues with logic boards, graphics cards, backlights, etc... And the official Applecare Packs are quite expensive when compared to comparable products, and if you don't buy this and you have a problem after 90 days, you will have to argue with the people at the warranty place that you don't have to pay in order to ensure it isn't a software issue.

However, these are issues I have only come across rarely. Overall, they are a good buy and well worth it.

Thank Post

The quality issue......

This is a big issue for all manufactures of electrical equipment if they want to sell in the EU. Amazing how lead free solder + WEE has decreased general build quality of goods.
    Products are now being designed so that the manufacture can cheaply recover components for recycling. On this side of things Apples build quality is extremely high. Most of the materials are desirable and of high quality to be reusable in the future.

I remember reading about how lead free solder has had a huge knock on effect on reliability of consumer electronics due to it being brittle compared to solder containing lead. Don't know if this has been overcome but was defiantly the case over a year ago. but gone are the days of hardware lasting 10 years!!!

Thank Post

I think the driving down of costs in the overall market is having an effect on quality as well.

To cut the cost of manufacturing means reducing the quality of some of the components inside.

eg, cheapass motherboards inside budget machines, bad memory chips etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Everything is made in the same factories in China anyways. Plus they can make good stuff. But it's a quality vs cost thing. Retailers go to said factory, say "I want you to make X and Y price per unit in a run of Z units" and said factory will ajust the quality of the raw materials + labour + etc unit it hits that price point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast