+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Mac Thread, ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr in Technical; [quote="j17sparky" Macs arnt always industry standard in the music world. Infact the poeple i know in the music world dont ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr

[quote="j17sparky"
    Macs arnt always industry standard in the music world. Infact the poeple i know in the music world dont like macs. And tbh whats that got to do with anything anyway?
    [/quote]

er...my first studio experience was at the world renowned parkgate studios up the road from me where i had a summer job or three - all Mac

I then played in various bands since and am now getting ready to record with another, to date I've recorded 5 EPs and a album witha band of my own - All bar one of the places we recorded used macs (and i have it say it came out very well, but it was a lot more work)

I've also done various Session Musician jobs as a little sideline over the past couple of years and every studio I've been in has a mac as their main machine.

....you were saying..?

Thank Post

Ok, some humble apologies on my side. I missed one of your posts out and only read the one about "real cards", which as it was the *previous* post that mentioned usb/firewire etc. I assumed you meant PCI/PCIe cards and not externals.

The internal card is ok for playback, for more serious work we use some Firewire cards - you will need a few with macs for sensible input options.

Thank Post

Oh well, im wrong, i dont know people who actually make a living soley from music, onboard soundcards are the way forward watch out RME, garageband is the bees nees watch out logic...

God im soo good at making things up

Differance is, i KNOW im right

Sorry to all thats read this, but it seems to be a growwing trend on here that people speak without thinking or knowing what they are talking about. I though we were edugeek.net, a place to find out the facts and best ways of doing things. Not the Sun.com where hearsay and flawed logic is commonplace.
    Oh well, seems im having a rather bad day today.

If people actually read my first posts you will see that i was actually trying to help. I didnt knock macs, which took some rather hard biting of the tongue. The comment about the music teacher probably did read rather harsh, it wasnt ment to read like that, more jokey. But my point still stands, onboard soundcards have latency, if a music teacher cant hear this... infact all soundcards have some latency. To say an onboard soundcard has NO latency is just not true - fact - simple as that really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So if we aren't doing "industry grade" production then why waste money on so-called "industry grade" macs when you can get double the amount of PCs for the same price to do the same job?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmmmm, i think you need to take a moment to think about politeness

This was a question about an educational establishment, and they want to know what they can do cost-effectively.

You've done nothing but berate people and tell them you're wrong.

provide a reasoned point of view, and listen to other people's version as well - surely thats the spirit of this forum

I'm pretty sure his post wasn't titled " i want to set up a studio to rival abbey road"

and i assume you've tried recording on one of the new iMacs then, as you claim to know it all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    So wait there, sorry, your £2.5m studios didnt include real soundcards?

I have heard and experianced integrated soundcards. I managed to get one down to 20 odd ms (which is rather good) but for live music and production it is simply not good enough.

When you record what is the most important things? Hitting the correct keys and hitting them in time to the music? Yes? So for the sake of £50 (ie far less than the price differance between pc and mac ) why disadvantage the kids by forcing them to use an integrated soundcard?
    Plus non-integrated soundcards suffer from interfearance and looping issues far less.
    No, the school contained onboard sound cards. The uni had mac's was my point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@j17spark and localzuk

Can you take argument offline and use pm feature and lets get back to answering op question which is

Can you recommend some specs and models please?

We need about 15 macs for the music department, they need to obviously be man enough for music software, we will be using Sibelious, maybe Logic, and other software, needs to have all the correct outputs etc.

Don't really know alot about them, other than "why the hell no right mouse button, do'h" lol, anyways, advice would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

The discussion is directly related to this though - I have recommended that the person get a suite of imacs and an xserve. j17sparky says that they also need pro sound cards - which I deny.

So, I won't be pursuing it anyway, as that is pretty much my summary.

Thank Post

Well i was going to leave this thread as is but ill add.

I DO NOT recommend pro soundcards. I recommend a "real" cheap soundcard such as M-Audio.

And if he wants to link up his existing keyboards (no point buying new USB ones if he already has "normal" midi one) he will need a MIDI input. This can be bought on its own or as part of 95% of soundcards - killing 2 birds...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ScotMK, I'd reccomend seeing if a local studio will let you go look at their setup, maybe a smaller one would be better (you find most sound guys like showing off their gear, so this shouldn't be a problem)

Depending on what recording software you want to run (logic, cubase, garageband, etc) you should find a iMac will cover it all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Look, everyone knows Macs are pants at most things, so lets just stop going on and suggest everyone use their Vic20's and a copy of Steinberg 12....

Thank Post

I think i need to say something as i feel my post may have aggravated a few people on this thread.

I will be the first one to hold my hand up and say " i know nothing about music and the technology behind music". This was my point.

I purchased macs not soley because they look great on the desk.
    I purchased them because reading this forum over the last few months more and more people are posting saying that their school is investing in macs.

I think a majority of these posts have come from secondary schools.

Therefore the decision was made to purchase macs to allow the pupils to get experience on both platforms to give them the skills needed when they get to secondary schools that have macs in them.

Garageband and the rest of the iLife suite is a bonus.

The downside to running macs is lack of an upgrade path, so its lucky the components in them are of a high quality, and the latency? Well i can hear but i don't do music. It sounded good enough for me (maybe "no" was the wrong word to use) and since we generally don't have any music qualified teachers in the school (the guy comes in) no one could really debate that.

If you wish to grab a mac and test it against a better spec PC with a high quality sound card and USB midi keyboard then be my guest. Maybe it would be beneficial for all then we would have a better understanding of the differences of hardware.

It would have to be done by a neutral person though ;-)

To sum up i know jack about music and the technology requirements for it and i can only go on what other people say (the whole reason of loaning out the keyboard). I was just pointing out the fact that you can still get something reasonable out of them.

But since they already have a Music suite kitted out i'm a little puzzled.

PS i use iMac core 2 duos educational base models, and Macbooks educational base models, with a few Mac minis and and Xserve and XRAID 1TB.

PEO
    Thank Post

Can i just say. I was asked by a teach to setup a printer on a mac ibook (i think thats right for a mac laptop) and i at first was bamboozeled!!! but because i seen it as an opertunity to investigate and see how to install a printer driver, i then became more intrested in what else it has to offer. I personaly think macs are fresh and perform really well. and im happy that i played around with one becuase now im saving my 1p to buy one. macs are not pants, neither is linux, or windows, its what your use too. windows dominates the market, not sure how on par macs and linux is.

not sure what im trying to say here but i think every one has a bioest opinion, and we should try and not be so ermmmm ooow crap errrrmmmm help!?

Thank Post

Mac Book Pro VS Toshiba for a small room of Laptops

Mac
    The Cheapest Mac Book Pro is £1,105.53 ex VAT

You need a Mac Book Pro for a Secondary School because a normal Mac Book's 13" Screen is a bit to small so you really need a 15" screen.

So

20 Mac Book Pro's cost £22,100.00 ex VAT

Toshiba

A Toshiba 15" Core Duo all Bells and Whistles (firewire, wireless etc) is £349.00

So

20 Laptops cost £6,980.00

that a difference of £15,120.00

That's Fifteen THOUSAND pounds more for Mac.. just because it's a prettier looking piece of kit...

How can you justify that...? unless you are obsessed..

PEO
    Thank Post

feel ike i have just been ran over by a 15 ton truck.... thanks grommit

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast