+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Mac Thread, ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr in Technical; You don;t need a xserv for just a few machines a mac mini can do it fine a lot cheaper!...
    Thank Post

Re: ok, here we go, we need macs.......... oooeeerrrr

You don;t need a xserv for just a few machines a mac mini can do it fine a lot cheaper!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Bring back the Atari ST I say.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5
    You don;t need a xserv for just a few machines a mac mini can do it fine a lot cheaper!
    He wouldn't need an xserve, but it's a good idea to get one for anything over 10 machines. Rack mounted devices are always more elegant, redundant PSU's give you greater availabilty and OS deployment is much quicker with link aggregated gigabit ports. i would say an xserve is something of an expensive luxury for small mac deployments - and if a mac mini does a good enough job then fine but for any type of networked video application using network home folders you really need the processing power and expansion of an xserve (or Mac Pro if you don't have a rack.)

Also, if you want FC or iSCSI storage you can't use anything less than a MacPro or Xserve. If you've got the money keep your mac mini in your lab where it belongs and deploy an xserve darnit.

Thank Post

It always amazes me how many people will talk about things they have ZERO knowledge about.

You CANNOT get low latency without a real soundcard. I think HodgeHi and his music teacher need to get their ears tested. Yeah it might be a daft laugh for primary kids but it completely defeats the point for older kids.

Macs arnt always industry standard in the music world. Infact the poeple i know in the music world dont like macs. And tbh whats that got to do with anything anyway?
    So 1 out of probably 10000 kids might make it into a studio, yeah thats great justification for spending a small fortune and depriving the other 9999 of the resources they need.

Oh well, ill leave it there as most of you probably cant even hear me with your head up your ass anyway....

Thank Post

We have a Macpro and that looks quite nice in our server raq We also can do link aggregated gigabyte We have 80 machines setup her and does the trick

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    It always amazes me how many people will talk about things they have ZERO knowledge about.

You CANNOT get low latency without a real soundcard.
    Because?

Aren't they both just buses?

On a general note I really am getting sick of this. Often I don't like our macs, often I don't like our PCs - but for a REASON. If people are going to go on and on about this please provide well reasoned, personal arguments, not "so and so tells me" or "I hate them because, they suck because..." with the only reason being Mac/PC/linux.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5
    We have a Macpro and that looks quite nice in our server raq We also can do link aggregated gigabyte We have 80 machines setup her and does the trick
    It may look good (although I'm dubious as to how good it actually looks if you can't lay it on it's side - surely it doesn't fit a 19" rack when layed on it's side)..but a MacPro in a 19 inch rack does absolutely nothing for front-to-back airflow in your rack which is an issue even if you're using comfort cooling - plus how many U's are you wasting by having a MacPro ? when you could have several Xserve's occupying the same space, the MacPro is performance wise equivalent to the xserve with increased expansion slots and greater internal storage - and it's a good choice for a server but the MacPro is a very different kettle of fish to a mac mini as a 'server'

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy

Because?

On a general note I really am getting sick of this. Often I don't like our macs, often I don't like our PCs - but for a REASON. If people are going to go on and on about this please provide well reasoned, personal arguments, not "so and so tells me" or "I hate them because, they suck because..." with the only reason being Mac/PC/linux.
    Exactly.

Horses for courses, it amazes me the number of people on here who've had a dig at Macs even though they've never administered a suite of them, tried to repair one, or even used one for a reasonable length of time. I use and manage Windows and Macs..clients and servers, and am about to add linux servers into the mix - they're all very capable. Windows is a good allrounder - capable as client and server. Linux is a great server and a very capable client. Macs are a breeze *most of the time* to administer, Server Admin in OS X 10.4 is what Microsoft would like to have copied for their Server 2003, and they're all great in certain specific areas aswell...QTSS or Xgrid on OS X server anyone ? Or a bind dns server in Linux ? Or how about the enteprise grade SQL server on a humble dell box ? Plus with MOSS 2007 Microsoft have another product to use as a stick to beat IBM with, following in the footsteps of SQL Server 2005 and Exchange 2003/2007.

Sure i've got issues with Vista and Microsoft's roadmap - same with Apples hardware decisions....but overall the future looks bright. Stop whining and stop hating people

Thank Post

Because?

Like i said

"It amazes me how many people will talk about things they have ZERO knowledge about"

By your logic integrated GFX cards are just as good as £x000 beasts right?
    Or why pay hunderds of pounds for a SCSI HD when a cheapo IDE one will do just as good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

You CANNOT get low latency without a real soundcard. I think HodgeHi and his music teacher need to get their ears tested. Yeah it might be a daft laugh for primary kids but it completely defeats the point for older kids.

Macs arnt always industry standard in the music world. Infact the poeple i know in the music world dont like macs. And tbh whats that got to do with anything anyway?
    So 1 out of probably 10000 kids might make it into a studio, yeah thats great justification for spending a small fortune and depriving the other 9999 of the resources they need.

Oh well, ill leave it there as most of you probably cant even hear me with your head up your ass anyway....
    Sorry sparky, if you are going to be so rude then I will have to call you out on it.

Modern computer sound cards, whether they are internal, USB, PCI or PCI-X are all of suitable quality (well, most of em, obviously some manufacturers will mess things up) to provide the situation that HodgeHi is talking about. We do not need the same level of quality in school's as a professional studio - we simply need something to provide a near enough experience - so the sound card is one area you can afford to scrimp on.

Also, please keep your personal knowledge of what your friends have in 'the music business' to yourself - we don't want to know that. We want personal experiences. I happen to have used the studios at Lancaster Uni, all of which use Mac's. I have set up computers at a radio station in Manchester, and yes some of the stuff they do is on Mac - but not all.

You are not depriving anyone of anything if you buy macs, you are providing a new resource which allows kids to learn how to transfer their IT skills between different systems.

So, get over yourself and be polite!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Please use one of many 100000000 of threads on mac vrs pc. Lets stick with what op wanted which is advice on buying mac's.

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, and my advice would be to go with a suite of iMac's and get an xserve.

It may seem like a bit of a big expense now, but the likelyhood will be that more computers will slowly but surely be added on, and the capacity of the xserve would be used better then.

Thank Post

Without deviating from the topic too much, but just for a second. This is a classic example of what i generalise and call "distro-wars." I suppose it extends to mac vs PC aswell. Basically ignore everyone else's personal opinions and use what suits you and your situation best. (Even if it's what the music dept. are forcing on you )

Now...if the music teacher wants macs then you could try asking them to contact other music teachers in other schools that use macs to get them to maybe arrange a quick visit to see the setup, how it's layed out etc or send across some specs and maybe some basic costing and suppliers?

I'm not a mac user so I can't really say what specs you'd need or whether you'd need an xserve or not...but thinking about the midi aspect as has already been mentioned, is important.

Quick google came accross http://www.engadget.com/2005/02/08/h...ording-studio/

Maybe useful? I don't know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Atari STs are better than Macs....Oooppps - sorry. :-)

Thank Post

Because?

Like i said

"It amazes me how many people will talk about things they have ZERO knowledge about"

By your logic integrated GFX cards are just as good as £x000 beasts right?
    Or why pay hunderds of pounds for a SCSI HD when a cheapo IDE one will do just as good.
    I'm still missing the reason though, integrated graphic can be fine for most purposes for example. You can get low latency firewire external sound cards, we use them here. They work.

Please do not imply that I am a complete idiot, I did manage a 2:1 in computer science, so fundamentally they are both buses. A PCI(e) device may have to wait for another device on the bus to free the channel. Firewire can be isynchronous and can guarantee latency. And you can move them!

Bandwidth is where PCIe will be a winner of course.

Back to the because?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast