+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Deploy Studio Help in Technical; Ok. New on the job. Deploystudio is already in place. I have created a 10.6.8 image and have deployed it ...

Thank Post

Deploy Studio Help

Ok. New on the job. Deploystudio is already in place. I have created a 10.6.8 image and have deployed it on numerous MacBooks. So I know the system works.

I have about a dozen that do not work. When I press option on startup, the only option is the HD. It does not give me the DeployStudio options. It also gives me the option to connect to a wireless network.

I have also tried to set the Startup Disk to DeployStudio in System Preferences. The computer restarts, a blinking globe appears for about 20 seconds, then it starts up from the HD.

It also doesn't ask for the firmware password like the other MacBooks do.

All of the laptops have recently had the motherboards replaced by AppleCare.

Like I said, I am new on the job so I don't know all the technical specs that might be needed. I can find whatever may be needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    When you hold option and get to the boot options screen that only displays the hard drive, do you then press the "N" key to access network boot options? Some models will not show the network options in the initial boot options menu.

Thank Post
    That is one of the first things I tried. I have older model machines that require that step.

Thank Post
    Sounds stupid but are you sure they are not PowerPC? If they are new macs that do not support 10.6.8, they won't boot off of the NetBoot image, so you may have to look at creating another NetBoot set for them.

Thank Post
    They are Intel. They already have 10.6.8 installed on them. I work for a school and we are re-imaging the computers to get rid of everything the kids put on during the year and installing software updates.

Thank Post
    I've been reading up on DeployStudio recently.
    I vaguely remember there being an option to restrict what clients can boot the NetBoot image. I think it can be restricted by Serial or MAC address. I know Service Centres are supposed to set the serial to the original when they replace a motherboard, but I don't know about the MAC address.

The other thing I could think of is that the NetBoot image might have been made on older hardware? I believe you are supposed to make your boot images on your newest available hardware.

Hope that helps in some way, even if it gives you an "A-Ha" moment.

Thank Post
    Are they 2008 MacBooks? We had some of those last year with same issue. Not sure but i think there is something with the NIC. Anyway, try booting it in target disk mode attached to a machine that will work with DS, when choosing which disk to load the DS image on, select the HDD on the problematic MB.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread