+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Leopard Due October 26th? in Technical; apple computers also announced today the development of a computer chip that can be implanted into a woman's breast and ...
    PEO
    Thank Post

Re: Leopard Due October 26th?

apple computers also announced today the development of a computer chip that can be implanted into a woman's breast and play music. The i Tit will cost £399 and is regarded as a majour breakthrough as women are always moaning that men usually just stare at their tits and never listen to them.

ha ha ha sorry had to get that in

lol @ /\
    yes released last friday and would you believe a new mac arrived in our office on Thursday , so i went to the apple website and ordered a upgrade cd for £5.95, which arrived today, and all i can say is wow!
    having been a pc guy all my life, its a shock but i think my next laptop will be an ibook

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterbusy-2
    lol @ /\
    yes released last friday and would you believe a new mac arrived in our office on Thursday , so i went to the apple website and ordered a upgrade cd for £5.95, which arrived today, and all i can say is wow!
    having been a pc guy all my life, its a shock but i think my next laptop will be an ibook
    I thought they stopped doing ibooks and they do the macbook & macbook pro now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is ... but most people still remember iBooks and PowerBooks.

Just to set the record straight ... it is not all sunshine and light.

There are many people who are having major issues with putting it on to MacBooks and MacBook Pros ... including me.

It went onto our Mac Minis fine, it just does not like my MacBook Pro, and the latest guidance is for me to get the original install disks, completely wipe / erase / format the drive (recreating the volume) and do a clean install.

I am now hanging on until some better guidance comes out, but it is damned infuriating after having queued up on Friday evening.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't see what the problem is?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    1. It just works.

How much time have you spent troubleshooting your PC? Imagine a computer designed by people who hate to waste time as much as you do. Where all the hardware and software just works, and works well together. Get a Mac and get your life back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This is the first upgrade / install of OS X that has ended up like this ... and I am not happy.

I truly am just used to Macs just working ... the last time I had issues was when I failed to bless a system folder on the master image of 7.5.5 that we put on 5200s.

Anyway ... enough of the Macs Vs traditional PC boxes running windows ...

I just wanted to let people know that there has been a bug that seems to be widely reported to affect MBs and MBPs.

I'll put up a thread as things progress.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I didn't say a thing about windows... I just highlighting something that the highly-pretentious orchard say which simply isn't true

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

And I am just highlighting that the rarety of an issue like this for me is a shock when something does go wrong.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbusy-2
    lol @ /\
    I thought they stopped doing ibooks and they do the macbook & macbook pro now.
    Yes, they've stopped making the ibook, and isight cameras and 17inch imacs...all of which i'm a bit peeved about. All will be forgiven if they come out with a 14.1inch widescreen macbook pro.

Thanks for the heads up grumbledook. Are there any issues with leopard when installing on any of the ppc models ?

BTW just ignore webman hen he tries to poke fun at all things mac. He's just an out-and-out mac hater. Which is a shame for him as Apple have done a hell of a better job with leopard than Microsoft did with Vista in spite of the odd teething problem. Plus expect the next version of os x (10.6) to include bootable ZFS volumes!!!!! and a from the ground up Finder (fingers crossed) to leave Microsoft eating dirt.

tbh the next version of Windows is going to be all about addressing the serious shortcomings in Vista as opposed to providing any real advances.
    So i'll upgrade to Vista, but I've no interest in future Windows developments beyond that. The really exciting stuff is happening on OS X and Linux.

Thank Post

The early macbook pros are rather bad when it comes to reliability though. There was some fault with the logic board that affected 2 out of 3 of our first production run 15" mbp. One failed just after the warrenty ran out, the other within the first few months. The third might have done too but it was stolen so I have no idea.

I'm really trying to find out whats improved in os x server but it seems to be mostly lots of stuff that really wasn't needed while the things that desperately need improving were ignored. I moved to 10.4 very quickly, 10.5 seems like it can wait a while.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    He's just an out-and-out mac hater.
    Yes, but I have my reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Which is a shame for him as Apple have done a hell of a better job with leopard than Microsoft did with Vista in spite of the odd teething problem.
    I quite agree, Vista sucks as well. Apple are the lesser of the two evils though considering its BSD underpinnings. I hate using closed, proprietary, and expensive operating systems and software.

Thank Post

I have had leopard since the release and i have to say its not made me go WOO!

I mean it looks a bit better and there are a few more extra features but nothing amazing.

Ross

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    The early macbook pros are rather bad when it comes to reliability though. There was some fault with the logic board that affected 2 out of 3 of our first production run 15" mbp. One failed just after the warrenty ran out, the other within the first few months. The third might have done too but it was stolen so I have no idea.

I'm really trying to find out whats improved in os x server but it seems to be mostly lots of stuff that really wasn't needed while the things that desperately need improving were ignored. I moved to 10.4 very quickly, 10.5 seems like it can wait a while.
    You may have a point, depends really on what how you use your existing os x server. Calendar Server is a great idea. Great if you don't have an existing exchange or domino setup. Not even sure if exchange does cross platform calendaring very well. Wiki server i have no interest in.

Podcast producer is a great idea - great compliment to the superb QTSS.

They've moved setting up file sharing to Server Admin where it should have been from the start.

However not sure the changes to the server admin gui itself are an improvement.

System Image Utility has some improvements. preset automator actions in SIU 2 is a nice little idea - not really a huge improvement if you're already handy at scripting post install tasks. But that's the whole point of the improvements. Making things easier to deploy get the novice admin to get up and running quickly. The good thing is 10.5 seems to have retained the power and flexibility of 10.4

I'm already itching to upgrade - 10.4 was a huge improvement over 10.3
    10.5 is less of a big step forward but they've definitely refined it further. Managed preferences and mobile home folder options needed improving and seem to have been improved upon.

Ofcourse 10.5 now comes with RoR and Mongrel - so you can start developing and hosting Rails apps out of the box....Niiiice!!!!

What I'm hoping for is Apple to come out with a new 2U rack server and some ideas for os x server 10.6...ZFS, XSAN 2.0 and virtualization.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My main thing is trying to see whether the SMB mapping issue that seems to affect some people is fixed in mixed environments.

However, most places I know are not going to swap until at least Easter after considerable testing ... we won't move until Summer and Leopard will just be for a few staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have the server documentation ready to read sometime to see if that has anything extra.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast