+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Issues with Apple TV across the network in Technical; Hi All, Dont know if anyone else has been having the same problem or has any suggestions We currently have ...

Thank Post

Issues with Apple TV across the network

Hi All,

Dont know if anyone else has been having the same problem or has any suggestions

We currently have 4 Apple TV's across the network all connected on wireless, we have been getting consistent problems with connection etc. i theory i should be able to sit my office with all the apple tv's switched on across the site and view them all when i check on airplay but i get 1 or 2 at best showing. Yesterday I went to show a teacher how to use the Apple TV with thier ipad and we couldn't get a connection to start and then when we did i tried to see it on my iPhone and it wasn't even visible. it is just so inconsistent

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank Post
    Hi,

make sure all the ports in the link below are forwarded on your network otherwise you can get that issue with Apple TVs.

Apple TV: TCP and UDP ports and protocols used

Best of luck

Thank Post
    Bonjour deployment isn't straightforward. The way it's mDNS services work trips you up. If ONE device on your network can't see another device, it broadcasts a message to all bonjour devices saying "this device isn't online anymore, so remove it from your list" even tho it could be that only that one device can't see it (for example).

Refer to Wireless LAN Apple Bonjour Deployment Guide - Cisco Systems and Bonjour Gateway Deployment Guide 7.4 - Bonjour ... - Cisco & translate it's information as appropriate for your own infrastructure.

There are tools to monitor bonjour messages on the network and you'll be able to see devices reporting other devices as online or offline, and then see the ripple effect as that offline device is removed from the availability lists on all your other devices. Generally, heading into settings on the AppleTV in question and turning Airplay off and on again will cause the device to rebroadcast itself as online and reappear on your other devices.

Thank Post
    I created an avahi gateway with a raspberry pi , did the routing on the smoothwalls as we don't have proper layer 3.

Thank Post
    Hiya,
    @caffrey

I'm doing similar with for the apple TVs and it works fine i.e. ipads can see the apple TV that are located other vlans, but sometimes there are duplicate entries or numbers next to each entry, i.e. C14, C14 (2) etc. Have check that all apple TV names are unique so i'm not sure if avahi is duplicating entries in cache? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Thank Post
    I've noticed this too, I've just ignored it for now - never found a solution as I haven't had a lot of time to look into it.

Thank Post
    Thanks, yes its foxed me as well, not sure where in the cache of avahi this is happening.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread