+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iMac Imaging and Mangement in Technical; First of all I must point out I am totally out of my comfort zone working with Macs. Anyway this ...
    Thank Post

iMac Imaging and Mangement

First of all I must point out I am totally out of my comfort zone working with Macs.

Anyway this is the scenario and I would really apprieciate some advice as to what other people are doing. We have a Mac server, I think its known as a Mac Mini (a little square box about 16 x 16 x 4 cm) its running Mac version 10.5.8 it has a 1.58 processor and 1 gig of Ram) we have about 30 iMacs (all white ones and Aluminium ones) all running 10.5.8

I intend to network all the Macs and have a single sign on via Active Directory which I seem to have got working if a bit clunky. My main want at this time is to be able to centrally deploy images and manage these iMacs as they are all in need of a rebuild. I read about a product called deploystudiosever 1.6.0 so I have downloaded it but when I try to install it on the server (which is a fresh build) I get a message "Failure Installation cannot proceed, as not all requirements were met".

So this is where I ask for some advice, what are you doing with your iMacs how do you manage / Image them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deploystudio 1.6 requires OS X 10.6+

I'm afraid to say this but its time to update. OS X 10.5 has been superceeded 3 times now, as they're up to 10.8, and many pieces of software have dropped support for 10.5 (Firefox and Chrome for example) and Apple are no longer updating it, so it now poses a security risk.

However, if you do still wish to use it, you will need to use the earlier version - http://www.deploystudio.com/get.php?...er_v1.5.17.dmg

Thank Post
    I was afraid this was going to be the reply, but thanks it confirms what I was thinking. Time to go cap in hand yet again

Thank Post
    Agreed ^^ I'd try and get the OS updated, from the sounds of it they should upgrade well, plus it will make the managing of them easier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edie209 View Post
    I was afraid this was going to be the reply, but thanks it confirms what I was thinking. Time to go cap in hand yet again
    You'll want to check the white imacs to make sure they're Intel based and not PowerPC

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You'll want to check the white imacs to make sure they're Intel based and not PowerPC
    I think they are Intel based but I will check whats the implications between the two?

Thank Post
    If they are the PowerPC ones then you won't be able to run 10.8 software on them.

While you are going cap in hand it would be well worth upgrading the iMacs to as much RAM as they will take as like most computers it makes a big difference.

Thank Post
    If you are thinking of Lion then the supported hardware is all Intel based processors

To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

• An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    • Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended); you can install without Mac OS X v10.6 by using an OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive, available on the Apple Online Store
    • 7 GB of available disk space
    • 2 GB of RAM

If your Mac does not meet these requirements, you will need to upgrade your Mac before installing Lion.

If you are looking to move to Mountain Lion these are the supported Hardware

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminium, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Thank Post
    @macboy81

Stating "all Intel based processors" is potentially giving out the wrong information.

The early model Intel iMacs (any 2006 model) came with Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo Processors. Neither of them support Mountain Lion. Any of the 2006 MacMini model came with Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processors. Neither of those support Mountain Lion either. Slightly different situation for the laptop range with far too many variables to list here. For those options you may find it useful to download Mactracker (mac or pc) and you'll have all the information you need regarding any mac hardware and software going right back to the beginning.

@edie209

Please check your information again regarding the 1.58Ghz processor.

I can't find any mention of MacMini hardware that came with that processor configuration. The closest intel MacMini model I can find is the early 2006 1.5Ghz Core Solo or 1.66Ghz Core Duo. The MacMini models available prior to that model were non-Intel ones and topped out at OS X Leopard (10.5). Perhaps this is the one you mean? Later 2006 intel models shipped with the 1.66Ghz or 1.83Ghz Core Duo processors.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 7th June 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    I agree with all the advise you have got so far.

We still have some 7 year old iMacs at our place, 2.16GHZ with 3GB ram, and they run 10.7 (Lion) absolutely fine.

For management, I would also highly recommend Apple Remote Desktop - Apple (United Kingdom) - Remote Desktop 3

Thank Post
    Sorry Choice of bad words I think the models you refer to are exempt for grapics reasons. But your right I will have to make sure im more clearer with my information in future

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread