+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Choosing which Mac to buy in Technical; Thanks very much guys! Sorry - it's been really busy here today - seems everyone suddenly realised it was half ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Choosing which Mac to buy

Thanks very much guys! Sorry - it's been really busy here today - seems everyone suddenly realised it was half term next week and pulled out all the stops.

I was getting a good feeling from Pauls words till I read yours Tony! We definately will want the high spec but expect to pay the cut down price.

Adobe are giving away some s/w at the moment - so could get something there possible - Indesign is definately on the list of 4 free apps per year [sorry i'll dig up info on that later if anyone hasn't heard of it].

£965 sounds a bargain / just about right to me - an excellent bundle. I'll email that to my man now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    It'll depend on the software you want to run on them, but a Mini will be fine as far as I am concerned. Before using my Mini as a server at home for training, I used it for video editing, music creation, and editing photos with GIMP and Photoshop. Oh, and Dreamweaver. Everything really. And that on only 512MB RAM!

Good thing is, a Mac Mini will be within your normal budget range for an average PC. Seems a winner to me.

Paul :-)
    Pah ... you may be able to get to the moon and back on that but you try rendering layers in photoshop and you'll be there forever.

A word of warning to those that do go for Mac Minis ... tell the teachers to give the students 10 minutes warning before the end of the lesson if any major work needs rendering and then saving.
    Really?

I know of a professional print shop in Corby that runs on older G3 Macs. They work fine. But had the question been handed over with information like the kinds of applications required to run I would have said G5 immediately. Not even an eMac will make it there. I know. I have one. The school has about 10 of them. They are fine for Mac Mini level tasks but not for print shops that require high level apps.

I run adobe professional applications on my iMac G5 at home (for photography and various club magazines)- it has 1.5GB RAM and 128MB graphics. It still slows at some of the heavier tasks required of it.

Like I said- it will depend on the applications you want to use...

:-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah ... I think I know the print shop in question ... who still hate it when you tell them who to stop their Macs from crshing (they have had the same extension conflicts for years) and refused to move to OSX because it meant also going to new software?

Even speaking to someone at Apple today, they still think that the eMac is a better option in a school than a Mac Mini. Yep, it is a bit short of power (not by much really) but it is a better machine for the creativity stuff and is more student friendly.

There is still no end of life for it and the rumour sites have about as much information about what is coming next as the general Apple UK staff have.

Personally ... a nice G5 with dual 30" screens hooked up to an xserve/xraid would be nice ... now that *would* be nice for World of Warcraft!

Thank Post

I'm not sure we're talking about the same print shop..

The eMac is a great option for education- that's why I recommended it to our media department. They have CRT screens (much better than TFT in schools for the most part) and are fast enough and then some for "creativity applications".

I would love Apple to continue the eMac line, but it doesn't look like that will happen. In any case we aren't talking creativity applications here- you know- iLife or iWork etc. We're talking Indesign--a professional application that requires a lot more kick ass application and speed.

Even so. When you get your WoW setup (with required XServe) I'll have a shot ;-)

In fact- if we hook up two between our schools we could enjoy some Halo :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks again guys of the mac team!

eMacs sound perfect then. Agree with CRT screens - but the trendy set pressure is on!

Scary about the resource requirements. We have trouble with fireworks and any large files - taking an age to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

I'm starting to think I should of gotten the 15" power book lol. Although the 12" is nice and portable so cant really complain too much.

Just a quick question ( Dont really want to open another thread for this ) Is it possible to get and use a 2 gig memory module for a 12" power book and use it without any issues ?

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12