+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Mini Server recently started hanging/crashing constantly in Technical; Ok, we have a 2011 Mac Mini Server running 10.6.8. Old OS, but it works, or it used to. It's ...

Thank Post

Mac Mini Server recently started hanging/crashing constantly

Ok, we have a 2011 Mac Mini Server running 10.6.8. Old OS, but it works, or it used to.
    It's not mission critical, all it really does is hold a shared folder for the Macs, and provide managed settings via OD. It's an Open Directory master and also bound to AD

But recently I noticed the shared folder wasn't appearing, started looking at the server, and it's just impossible to use.

Everything I try and do seems to hang the machine. Opening workgroup manager is the worst - it completely hangs and force quit often wont even work. Now at this point I thought it might be some problem with authentication but I can't check it as I can never get into it!
    System prefs also competely crashes, in fact almost everything does. Yet activity monitor does not report high CPU or memory usage, nor excessive network traffic.

However, if I unplug the network cable, it's all fine. Everything opens. So it has to be network related. I've run Wireshark on another PC to see if there are excessive broadcasts which could shed light on it, but not really. Quite a few MDNS queries, but not an excessive amount.

I thought it could be the Impero client, as I realised it was still on the old 3.1.16 version, but updating to 3.5.02 hasn't stopped it. And the issues still occur when Impero is not running.

The only thing I have recently changed is the default gateway, as I VLANed the mac clients and so had to point the server at my L3 switch. I haven't actually tried changing this back to what it was (the router) yet.

I know it's very broad but any ideas? It was working fine until recently. Problem is I used to administer OS X Server a lot at my old job but barely touch it now, so I'm a bit stuck!

I should note that all the client Macs are working fine. They're bound to AD, also running 10.6.8 (though not server) and log in fine with no real freezes.

Thank Post
    Fixed this...as usual it was something simple - the clock was wrong and I'd typed an unresolvable IP address into the NTP server box (accidentally)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread