+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac Mini to run Apple Configurator - what else do I need? in Technical; I can recommend Meraki most highly, it is brilliant. How is it brilliant if anytime you push an app out ...

Thank Post
    I can recommend Meraki most highly, it is brilliant.
    How is it brilliant if anytime you push an app out you have to go to each IPad and enter the password?

That's just a non-starter surely for classroom management (fine for teachers/staff IPads of course)

What am I missing here?

Simon

Thank Post
    You then restore the other iPads to the backup image.
    When you do this - can you simply tell Apple Configurator to do it and walk away?

Will it retain each IPads name or do you have to go and change it back manually like with simply using ITunes on a PC?

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    How is it brilliant if anytime you push an app out you have to go to each IPad and enter the password?

That's just a non-starter surely for classroom management (fine for teachers/staff IPads of course)

What am I missing here?

Simon
    There is no way around this. iOS requires this. Apple Configurator can get around this because it manipulates iOS, as Apple programmed it too.
    For what it offers, and at no cost Meraki is very good. As for classroom management we use it all the time. For example: some lessons require students to use cameras, so we enable them. In other lessons cameras are a distraction, so we disable them. It happens instantly and allows a class to use the devices with less hassle.

Thank Post
    When you do this - can you simply tell Apple Configurator to do it and walk away?

Will it retain each IPads name or do you have to go and change it back manually like with simply using ITunes on a PC?

Simon
    You set the device names in Apple Configurator. So for example: iPad-01. You then select the option to number them sequentially. Then select 'restore from backup' option. It will restore the backup and name them for you.

Thank Post
    http://www.meraki.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_ios.pdf

This guide is fantastic and I'm sure you will find this helpful. Essentially you only want to use AC to install apps and the Meraki profile, then use Meraki to install other restrictions and profiles.

I personally haven't even bothered with a naming convention with the iPads. I know this might sound crazy/lazy etc but it for me it has really never served a purpose. They are all identifiable by the serial number (which is displayed in Meraki anyway). The only reason I could see myself naming them was if we had more than one class set which were set up differently

Thank Post
    For example: some lessons require students to use cameras, so we enable them. In other lessons cameras are a distraction, so we disable them. It happens instantly and allows a class to use the devices with less hassle.
    Aah - i see where your coming from - I'm using this in a primary where we use stern voice management system

So, before I stop cutting bait and actuall go fishing what hardware do I need to run Apple Configurator to control 16 IPads

Mac Mini? £450
    or
    Mac Mini Server? £750

Simon

Thank Post
    Aah - i see where your coming from - I'm using this in a primary where we use stern voice management system

So, before I stop cutting bait and actuall go fishing what hardware do I need to run Apple Configurator to control 16 IPads

Mac Mini? £450
    or
    Mac Mini Server? £750

Simon
    We just use a standard Mac mini. We don't use the server because its hidden away in the server room, we can't get the iPad trolley in there! We've had no issues with it not being a server.

Thank Post
    At our School presently we have 20 ipod touches that get wiped and reimaged everytime they come back from being used. We use apple configurator and a Parasync station. That gives the ability to do all 20 iPods at the same time. We are now looking to get some ipad minis (20 or so) and we are looking for the same kind of device. I was just wondering if such a device existed. I have found the Bretford sync station which will do 10 ipad 2's (ipad minis with adapter?) looking for something that will do 20. I appreciate any help.

Thank Post
    There are lots of different sync units out there for iPads. Griffin do desktop units, Bretford do portable ones. Www.lockncharge.com have quite a range of products.

Thank Post
    Thanks I will take a look

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post
    At our School presently we have 20 ipod touches that get wiped and reimaged everytime they come back from being used. We use apple configurator and a Parasync station. That gives the ability to do all 20 iPods at the same time. We are now looking to get some ipad minis (20 or so) and we are looking for the same kind of device. I was just wondering if such a device existed. I have found the Bretford sync station which will do 10 ipad 2's (ipad minis with adapter?) looking for something that will do 20. I appreciate any help.
    This might be an option for you, I think they are cheaper than the bretford ones...
    Ergotron 24-3_*-085 Tablet Management Cart 32, with ISI <span class="subT">- for iPad</span>

Thank Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention it needs to be able to sit on a shelf. This wont be where the ipads live just where they get reimaged. Thanks for your help though

Thank Post
    Ok - Mac Mini it is then

Ta everyone

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12