+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iOS Management: Moving VPP Redemption Codes in Technical; We have rolled out the first batch of iPads to staff and we are now starting to find the issues. ...

Thank Post

Angry iOS Management: Moving VPP Redemption Codes

We have rolled out the first batch of iPads to staff and we are now starting to find the issues.

We are using Meraki to successfully push both free and VPP apps.

Now here is the issue we are trying to move a VPP redemption code from one iPad to another. According to the Apple documentation we need to use the Apple Configurator (Apple Configurator: Using Volume Purchase Program (VPP) Redemption Codes).

As a number of other people have already established on here and elsewhere Apple Configurator is aimed at a class set of iOS devices.

We are working towards a 1:1 device scheme in September at which stage Apple Configurator with it's device limit and USB only connectivity isn't a practical solution but unless I'm missing something there isn't another solution.

While I realise I have answered my own question in the third paragraph I can't help feeling that I'm missing something because this, to my way of thinking is a major short coming, but the references that I can find to it online people just seam to be accepting it.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21663936#21663936

Any assistance from anyone who has overcome (or not) this issue would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    If you have pushed the VPP Code out via Meraki and the app has been installed is it gone and can not be reused....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    If you have pushed the VPP Code out via Meraki and the app has been installed is it gone and can not be reused....
    That's what I had thought thanks for confirming.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in suggesting that this a major short coming. Am I?

Thank Post
    Slightly off topic but.. I originally started using Meraki until I found that out - I am now using something called Lightspeed MDM. Has all the same functionality as Meraki (unfortunately not free, though) but allows you to create tiers and tiers of departmental, class, school etc devices. How i've done it so far is create a group on Lightspeed for each department, then arrange each device into the correct departmental group, buy the app via VPP and send it out at departmental level. Chances are if Maths teacher #1 has a paid app, Maths teacher #2 is going to want it too anyway! Works a treat here.

Thank Post
    If you supervise iPads through Apple Configurator then use Meraki to deploy the VPP codes and install the apps do you still lose them ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I believe if they are supervised, you do get the codes back, even if deployed through Meraki. However, I haven't tested this myself.

Thank Post
    from what I can test so far you are correct, if the devices are supervised using Apple Configurator and you then use Meraki to deploy apps with VPP codes you can get the codes back :-)

Thank Post
    @wickedweasal

How does that work, I thought the vpp codes were stored in the apple configurator. I currently use a combination of Meraki and configurator, moving app deployment to Meraki would be great.
    Also does it still ask for the iTunes password when you push out with Meraki?
    Thanks,

Thank Post
    From what I have tested it seems to work, I first deployed the apps with Configurator and applied the VPP codes onto 2 supervised ipads, then I removed the apps and unsupervised the Ipads.

I ran through configurator again and supervised the iPads then using Meraki under ios apps I added the same apps and pasted the VPP codes in.

All codes are showing as available, when pushing to the iPads they show as redeemed I have also removed these apps using Meraki gone back into Configurator and the codes seem to still work.

Yes the down side it it stills asks for the iTunes password to install every app, I am trying to way up my options I have to admit if you still have to type the password everytime I cant see the point in using Meraki to deploy apps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread