+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac keeps Pausing Printer in Technical; we have a number of apple macs OS (10.6) that are on our domain and are set to print to ...

Thank Post

Question Mac keeps Pausing Printer

we have a number of apple macs OS (10.6) that are on our domain and are set to print to our print server (Printer Server is on Windows Server 2003), and for some reason at least once a week users comes to do us to say the printer is paused again (this happens on different mac), when checking the printer the printer is pause locally on that mac other macs can print no problems the users don't have access to the printer setting so we have to login as local admin to UN-pause the printer, we have tried removing and re-installing the printer on each of the mac which works fine for a week or 2 and then it starts again, can anyone shed any light on whatt might be causing this?

Thank Post
    I have the same problem, I have to put the ladmin password in each time ...

Not idea why please help !!!

Thank Post
    Is there anything in the CUPS log on the local machine? CUPS Local Link

Where/how are you controlling access to the printer?

Thank Post
    We have the same issue. A user does not need local admin rights to pause a printer but a user does need local admin rights to resume a printer. That is a flaw that I have been waiting for them to fix since 10.5. It can also be caused by an issue with the printer at the time a user prints from a certain Mac. If the printer is out of ink or has a paper jam, the Mac will pause the printer until the issue is resolved. The only fixes I have read sounded too complicated on a large scale considering how relatively infrequent this happens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by furby View Post
    Is there anything in the CUPS log on the local machine? CUPS Local Link

Where/how are you controlling access to the printer?
    cant see anything in the CUPS log and we use workgroup manager.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Tim View Post
    We have the same issue. A user does not need local admin rights to pause a printer but a user does need local admin rights to resume a printer. That is a flaw that I have been waiting for them to fix since 10.5. It can also be caused by an issue with the printer at the time a user prints from a certain Mac. If the printer is out of ink or has a paper jam, the Mac will pause the printer until the issue is resolved. The only fixes I have read sounded too complicated on a large scale considering how relatively infrequent this happens.
    do you have the link by any chance to the fixes that you read about we only have small number of MACs but it happening quite alot.

7. Thanks to ptotham from:

jhothersall (7th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptotham View Post
    we have a number of apple macs OS (10.6) that are on our domain and are set to print to our print server (Printer Server is on Windows Server 2003), and for some reason at least once a week users comes to do us to say the printer is paused again (this happens on different mac), when checking the printer the printer is pause locally on that mac other macs can print no problems the users don't have access to the printer setting so we have to login as local admin to UN-pause the printer, we have tried removing and re-installing the printer on each of the mac which works fine for a week or 2 and then it starts again, can anyone shed any light on whatt might be causing this?
    We are the same setup as you but trying to use Air print which has proved to be a total nightmare as we are trying to backpack it off papercut for user identification. Have a look at the error logs and see if anything is telling as to what the problem might be a smaller issue i was dealing with was proven to be an authentication issue

Thank Post
    As Tim said "A user does not need local admin rights to pause a printer but a user does need local admin rights to resume a printer" The use might not even know they are doing it, i have seen it happen when a document fails or authentication fails.

We just remove all the printers at logoff and let workgroup manager re-add them when they log back on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    As Tim said "A user does not need local admin rights to pause a printer but a user does need local admin rights to resume a printer" The use might not even know they are doing it, i have seen it happen when a document fails or authentication fails.

We just remove all the printers at logoff and let workgroup manager re-add them when they log back on.
    thanks for the suggestion i will give that a go of removing the printers at log off and then getting workgroup manager to re-add them so if it does happen i can just tell them to log off and back on again save me having to keep going up there.

Thank Post
    any one using 2008 on there print server?

Thank Post
    Yes. Our print server is 2008.
    I'm using profile manager to manage printers though so perhaps things are a little different

Thank Post
    Remove "Pause-Printer Resume-Printer" from the 'strict' section in cupsd.conf (on the client computer).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    Remove "Pause-Printer Resume-Printer" from the 'strict' section in cupsd.conf (on the client computer).
    Have you got more detailed instructions on how to do that from start to finish ?

I would be interested to know how to do that

Thanks

Thank Post
    edit /private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Find
    "# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate..."
    The next line should have Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer etc - remove the first two!

That should work but I'm slightly confused as i'm comparing to a cupsd.conf from a different OS!

16. Thanks to nicklec from:

mac_shinobi (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I assume you could do that from the CUPS web interface as well?

http://localhost:631/ -> Administration Tab -> Edit Configuration File

18. Thanks to furby from:

mac_shinobi (9th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast