+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, [MAC] 10.8.3 Client & Server - Preferences not applying in Technical; Hi all, I'm having a right head ache with 10.8.3 server and clients. What is happening is that non of ...
    Thank Post

[MAC] 10.8.3 Client & Server - Preferences not applying

Hi all,

I'm having a right head ache with 10.8.3 server and clients.

What is happening is that non of the preferences appear to get applied. We have printers, pinned dock items, home drive mappings for certain groups \ machines that used to work but since the server decided to do the upgrade has broken.

Any pointers at all would be welcome, I've spent too many hours already looking at this, and I'm sure I am missing something really obvious.

Cheers,
    Ed

Thank Post
    After logs of Googling and cursing, I have finally resolved this issue. Here is what I had to do for future reference incase anybody else has this issue in the future;

A couple of times recently I have been asked to recover Open Directory running on Mac OS X Server. Each time the server was an Open Directory Master and its LDAP database had become corrupted, causing authentication issues for their clients and services. No replicas or backups where available (Remember to always backup :-) )

For each server I was able to repair the LDAP database using built in tools that Apple supply.

If you find yourself in this situation here is how to recover the database.

Apple supply a command line tool named `db_recover` which we can use to repair the LDAP database.

The database itself can be found here, /var/db/openldap folder. Even thou it is corrupted its always best to make a copy of it before attempting the repair.

To perform the repair run the `db_recover`tool:

sudo db_recover -h /var/db/openldap/openldap-data/

After a few seconds the tool should have finished. Reboot the server and see if its worked. In the past I have had to run this tool a few times in order for the database to be fully recovered.
    - See more at: Recovering A Corrupt LDAP Database On OS X Server » Amsys

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread