+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, few dumb questions before i order in Technical; if i go with 512 mb of mem can i at later date upgrade it and then same with hard ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

few dumb questions before i order

if i go with 512 mb of mem can i at later date upgrade it and then same with hard drive as well...

also on top model has airport or what ever wireless is called assume this works ok with normal wireless hubs...

as can see complete mac novice.

Russ

Thank Post

Re: few dumb questions before i order

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    if i go with 512 mb of mem can i at later date upgrade it and then same with hard drive as well...

also on top model has airport or what ever wireless is called assume this works ok with normal wireless hubs...

as can see complete mac novice.

Russ
    I choose everything! :P

You can add memory but its a bit fiddly but may or may not have warranty implications (you can probably find out with a google). The airport card is quite good and supports wpa and wpa2 (with mac os updates).

I have the bluetooth option too and its quite handy. It might have changed, but the internal wifi and bluetooth were not possible to add afterwards yourself when I got mine (special riser card).

Its quite nice being able to install the os with a bluetooth kb and mouse, although this only works with the built in option. Despite my vga issues (although mostly ok as I have changed to a tft), I rather like it.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    well.....

got to say that article is very one sided and obvious mistake there is norton av for mac...

but then person is trying to compare it to windows pc and think that is mistake as they are seperate platforms and do stuff differently...

@DMcCoy

well top model has wifi/bluetooth in standard it has 80 gb hd and paying way too much extra for extra 20 gb so that is out...

mem is 512 and could upgrade it to 1gb mem but then extra 65 quid and already paying a lot...

if going to get mem upgrade i would proabably pay that extra and get mac store to do it.

also getting warrenty so any problems and i am on phone to them.

also last stupid question plugging vga monitor in it shouldnt be an issue it already comes with the adapter dont it?

Russ

Thank Post

The Mac Mini is a great little machine Russ- you will enjoy it. Don't listen to the negative hype- it's small, quiet, and pretty good at the things people expect of a Mac Mini.

Get a bigger HDD if you can afford it though- RAM is easier to fit than the hard drive (trust me). And yes- the cable comes with it for VGA connection (it's obviously a DVI to VGA adapter).

Enjoy it!

Paul

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    well.....

got to say that article is very one sided and obvious mistake there is norton av for mac...

but then person is trying to compare it to windows pc and think that is mistake as they are seperate platforms and do stuff differently...

@DMcCoy

well top model has wifi/bluetooth in standard it has 80 gb hd and paying way too much extra for extra 20 gb so that is out...

mem is 512 and could upgrade it to 1gb mem but then extra 65 quid and already paying a lot...

if going to get mem upgrade i would proabably pay that extra and get mac store to do it.

also getting warrenty so any problems and i am on phone to them.

also last stupid question plugging vga monitor in it shouldnt be an issue it already comes with the adapter dont it?

Russ
    It does come with an dvi to vga adaptor. There is a risk that the crt you use will be dull compared to a pc. There is also a risk that it wont display anything at all, that is unless Apple have fixed that problem.

One other thing to remember is that it has only one memory module slot. so if you want more memory you would have to take the 512 out and put a single 1GB in.

Look here and here

Thank Post

Never had a problem with connecting to a CRT here...

Like I said, enjoy!

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well got two monitors can try now needs tips on convince my better half to let me use it before xmas

Russell

Thank Post

@russdev: You will HAVE to test it when it arrives so that you can send it back immediately if it does not work and everyone knows that you shouldn't turn computers on and off unecessarily

Hopefully you can find something girly to show her so that she won't make you pack it away in its box again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

A good trial is to put *all* of your photos onto it and then get her to select various ones to stick into an album. Then make that into a slideshow / movie, burn it to DVD and give it to her as a pre-Christmas pressie for allowing you to play with your pressie.

The hard drive ... weigh up the cost of the larger drive with that of an external drive. There are some good ones around now that actually fit underneath your Mac mini (no names and URLs to hand ... heck, go to Jisaw24.co.uk and look)

Have fun.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well decided over hard drive an extra 65 quid for extra 20gb was not worth it..

well cant say my partner would want something girlie think she be more impressed by technical stuff....

russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

In that case load the photos into iPhoto and then get her to use iMovie, choosing between transitions, sampling music in garageband ... in fact, get her a .Mac account as an early pressis and get her to use the tutorials.

It may mean you don't get to use the machine until Christmas anyway because she will be on it all the time instead. :-)

But then you have an excuse for getting a second ;-)

Thank Post

When she sees it, she will want it ;-)

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well lol

all order starts going all week at knees... all

check they just increased price of cover it was about 80 quid gone up to just over 100 quid well dosnt matter 3 years for 100 quid can handle that.

russ

Thank Post

So is the mini a maxi value? For me, clearly, no. When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time.
    ummm so he must "like" running all these apps, considering you dont need to run them on a mac...

and to debunk the theory that none of it exists, Norton AV for OS X IS available, you dont need to defragment a mac hdd cus it looks after itself every time it installs an app etc, no spyware for OS X AFAIK so running adaware would be pointless, and it has a system updater rofl, ive only been using macs a month and am still a novice, but this guys clueless...

And the fact a mac cant run windows xp.... yes it can... but why would you want to?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast