+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Apple Configurator + Supervised iPads + iTunes in Technical; Apologies if this question has already been asked elsewhere, but I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance on the following... ...

Thank Post

Apple Configurator + Supervised iPads + iTunes

Apologies if this question has already been asked elsewhere, but I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance on the following...

We have x number of iPads that have been set up using Apple Configurator, that are 'supervised', and are used by multiple users (i.e. not on a one-to-one basis).

My first question is whether it's possible to import MP3 (or similar) files into iTunes, without purchasing them online? We are particularly interested in files that have been created by students (not on the iPad), so hold no copyright. If so, can someone please explain to me how this is done? Since the devices are 'supervised' it doesn't appear to be possible to sync the devices with any PC/Mac running iTunes - so it would appear that we would need to employ an alternative method.

My second question is whether it's possible to import MP3 (or similar) files into Garageband (or similar music Apps) using any method other than iTunes?

I'm aware that we can access music from cloud based solutions such as Dropbox, iFiles, etc. or a WebDav server but it appears that to work with music files using Apps such as Garageband the music needs to be located within iTunes. I'm sure someone else must have the same predicament, so I'd appreciate any advice on how you got around this.

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    There are apps out there that enable disc usage, and you can then drop the MP3 files into that app. You could also consider something like file explorer, which could then allow navigation to a public shared folder on your network, where the files reside. The students can then stream them directly, without having to store them, hence saving space on the iPads themselves.

Thank Post
    Many thanks jallsop for your reply.

The issue is that I believe the audio files need to be in iTunes for them to be imported and edited using apps such as Garageband and DJ Mixer Pro - which is the specific requirement.

I just need to know how, if at all, it's possible to get the files into iTunes. I'm hoping someone out there can offer advice. If there is a specific App that can move a file from a WebDav/cloud share into iTunes, I would appreciate it if someone could give me the name of it.

As previously mentioned, we are using Apple Configurator in supervised mode. All iPads have been set to use the same Apple ID, as suggested by Apple when using the VPP model.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsc View Post
    Many thanks jallsop for your reply.

The issue is that I believe the audio files need to be in iTunes for them to be imported and edited using apps such as Garageband and DJ Mixer Pro - which is the specific requirement.

I just need to know how, if at all, it's possible to get the files into iTunes. I'm hoping someone out there can offer advice. If there is a specific App that can move a file from a WebDav/cloud share into iTunes, I would appreciate it if someone could give me the name of it.

As previously mentioned, we are using Apple Configurator in supervised mode. All iPads have been set to use the same Apple ID, as suggested by Apple when using the VPP model.
    How many iPads are you using with your Apple ID? Just out of curiosity as some people say its limited to 10 per ID

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    How many iPads are you using with your Apple ID? Just out of curiosity as some people say its limited to 10 per ID
    i've got 48 on 1 AiD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    i've got 48 on 1 AiD
    Yes, there is no issue using the same Apple ID on multiple devices. This is Apple's recommendation as per their "iOS 6 Education Deployment Guide":

http://images.apple.com/euro/educati...ment_guide.pdf

So does anyone else have any suggestions? We are following the "Institutional Ownership" model as described on P.29-33 of the guide.

Are there any Apple Distinguished Educators out there that can offer advice? We would prefer not to have to switch to the "Layered Ownership" model, and rely on our students to upload files/music themselves - although that may be the only solution.

Thank Post
    CBSC - your Apple configurator what is this running on ? I have been working on a similar project at our academy, if you can give me an over lay of what you are working with I am hoping I can help.

First thing is - What are you running Apple configurator on
    Second - WiFi - what do you have in terms of coverage where these devices will be used/what system are you using.
    Finally your ISP - who are you using (local goverment or 3rd party) and do you run your own firewall

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdell View Post
    CBSC - your Apple configurator what is this running on ? I have been working on a similar project at our academy, if you can give me an over lay of what you are working with I am hoping I can help.

First thing is - What are you running Apple configurator on
    Second - WiFi - what do you have in terms of coverage where these devices will be used/what system are you using.
    Finally your ISP - who are you using (local goverment or 3rd party) and do you run your own firewall
    Hi there,

We are running the latest version of Apple Configurator on an iMac with OS X 10.8.2 if that helps!

We have a managed Ruckus wireless system that covers the whole site.

Our internet is provided via the LEA, although it passes through our own firewall.

I'm not exactly sure that this information will help with the specific information I'm after. As I mentioned before, we're following Apple's shared ownership model by the book, and from a conversation I had with an Apple support managers he believes (nobody at Apple can give cast iron guarantees) that storing/sharing files within iTunes is possible once you've adopted this model.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Thank Post
    First of all I found the same with Apple which is they dont really know how it will all work once in place, they are helpfull on very specific issues but allot of it is just hit and miss. I am going to have a read through my notes and I will get back to you.

Thank Post
    The Apple iOS in Education guide is very helpful, I recommend a read.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    The Apple iOS in Education guide is very helpful, I recommend a read.
    I've most certainly read it! It's useful from a perspective of getting things set up at a basic level.

However, it's of no help regarding the question I have posted on this forum, and neither has anyone been at Apple. It would appear that they don't really offer 'support' as such for an Enterprise Deployment. I certainly haven't been able to get any thus far.

I've been able to figure out how to get files into Garageband by using the assign feature in Configurator, but I'm still searching for clarification regarding my first question above.

Thank Post
    I've never used it, but could you use something like i-FunBox (i-FunBox v2.1 | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod) to transfer music onto an iPad, backup that iPad, and have the others restore from that backup?

Thank Post
    cbsc,

Just to clarify your questions a bit more...

You want to be able to import tracks onto the iPads that have been created on another Mac then imported into iTunes?

The only way I know of how to do this is to use the iCloud and the music app on each iPad as Garageband for iPad can not import a song stored locally, you have download the entire song first using iCloud, more info in link below..

http://help.apple.com/garageband/ipa...ml#chs9b4455fc

Thank Post
    Hah, after a lot of confusion, I think I've just figured this out.

The key sentence is in this PDF: "Additionally, supervised devices can’t be synced with iTunes or with Apple Configurator on a different Mac"

Now, I think most people read this as "with iTunes; or with Apple Configurator on a different Mac", but it seems as if that's incorrect. I just tried syncing a supervised iPad with iTunes on the same machine as I have Configurator installed, and it worked. On any other computer, it fails.

So to summarise: you CAN use iTunes to load content onto your supervised iPads, but iTunes HAS to be installed on the same machine as the one you're managing them through Configurator on to do so. At least, that's how it's working for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    cbsc,

Just to clarify your questions a bit more...

You want to be able to import tracks onto the iPads that have been created on another Mac then imported into iTunes?

The only way I know of how to do this is to use the iCloud and the music app on each iPad as Garageband for iPad can not import a song stored locally, you have download the entire song first using iCloud, more info in link below..

http://help.apple.com/garageband/ipa...ml#chs9b4455fc

Interestingly, that was the first thing the guy from Apple started to suggest, before I pointed out to him that according to the Deployment Guide iOS 6 in Education (http://images.apple.com/euro/educati...ment_guide.pdf) it states:

"iCloud services are for personal use only and should not be used by institutions"

P.37, under the heading "Understanding iCloud".

We have after all implemented the "Institutional Ownership" model, as we don't want students logging in with their own Apple IDs.

In answer to your question - yes we are indeed hoping to import music tracks onto the iPads that have been created on another device (Mac/PC/other iPad/Soundcloud, etc.). Most Apps attempt to import the tracks from iTunes, hence the reason we're keen to somehow get the files into iTunes.
    Last edited by cbsc; 19th March 2013 at 09:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast