+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OS X Server 10.8 does not allow for VLANs? in Technical; I may have just run into a brick wall that stops me from moving to the latest version of OS ...
    Thank Post

OS X Server 10.8 does not allow for VLANs?

I may have just run into a brick wall that stops me from moving to the latest version of OS X 10.8.x Server. It would seem that with the new "consumer" Server App that we can not use VLANs like we could with Server Admin with previous OS X Server versions?

All of our labs and offices all run on separate VLANs. This was not a problem with previous versions of OS X Server as they would show up up in Server Admins "NetBoot" to check off for use. Now I have a OS X 10.8.2 Server running and it only gives me "Ethernet".

Either I'm missing a very simple step or this is something that got left behind when Apple moved to it's new Server App.

Has anyone else come across this and have a work around?

Thanks!

The image below shows that just the ethernet shows up. I cannot see other VLANs.

Last edited by Carter; 11th March 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Why are you routing the VLAN's at server level and not on a layer 2/3 switch? I understand you want the traffic to be separated hence the use of VLAN's but we use 10 different VLAN's we use untagged data from the server to the switch and back so there is no software requirements in order to use the VLAN and are apple server running 10.8.2 works fine.

Thank Post
    If we don't have a VLAN setup then the clients wont see a DS Server at all. The switch port for the server is programmed to allow the VLANs to pass through but the server needs to broadcast that there is a NetBoot Server. This was a quick and easy option on OS X Server 10.7 & below and now gone with OS X 10.8 Right now stuck with only imaging on the VLAN the server is on which is a big issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread