+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Move data from a server to Apple XRAID (Retain permissions) in Technical; In the summer we just purchased some Apple Mac's along with an Xraid and Xserve. All works great but i ...
    Thank Post

Move data from a server to Apple XRAID (Retain permissions)

In the summer we just purchased some Apple Mac's along with an Xraid and Xserve. All works great but i see a problem for the future......

At the moment the way it is setup is I have all the pupils home directories sitting on a 400gb Windows file server. When pupils logon to both the Windows and Macs they can see there home directories on this server.

I can see a problem once pupils start to create large movie files on this server its going to run out of disk space...

So

I have this new 3.5tb Apple Xraid which I want to utilse better and my plan is to move all the data from our windows server to this xraid and for both windows and apple to see the new location but also whilst moving the data I need it to retain the folder and file permissions.

I can see this being done with something like xcopy but have read that sometimes there can be problems as it doesn't copy all the ownership or other permissions.

Has anyone moved data from one server to another server and having been able to retain the permissions? is there a script which can do this or an after market solution?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Move data from a server to Apple XRAID (Retain permissions)

I am trying to dig out the article I saw on either MacDevCenter or MacEnterprise.org that talked about using rsync to migrate.

Although I never got round to trying it (no xraid here and our mac Server is a Mac Mini :-) !) but IIRC you mount the main volume of the xraid onto your windows server to and use rsync to move across. You then use WGM (or the CLI) to ensure that all the SMB shares are created with the correct SMB permissions. Everything else should be fine after that.

I would recommend you have a squint at MacEnterprise.org or even delve into the apple xserve discussion board if no-one else comes up with suggestions.

HTH

Thank Post

I used ditto to copy from a Mac Client to the XRAID. I Mounted the share using an applescript and then copied to that share.

I assume that you could do the same with an SMB share.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ranj
    In the summer we just purchased some Apple Mac's along with an Xraid and Xserve. All works great but i see a problem for the future......

At the moment the way it is setup is I have all the pupils home directories sitting on a 400gb Windows file server. When pupils logon to both the Windows and Macs they can see there home directories on this server.

I can see a problem once pupils start to create large movie files on this server its going to run out of disk space...

So

I have this new 3.5tb Apple Xraid which I want to utilse better and my plan is to move all the data from our windows server to this xraid and for both windows and apple to see the new location but also whilst moving the data I need it to retain the folder and file permissions.

I can see this being done with something like xcopy but have read that sometimes there can be problems as it doesn't copy all the ownership or other permissions.

Has anyone moved data from one server to another server and having been able to retain the permissions? is there a script which can do this or an after market solution?

Thanks
    I'm assuming you're aware of this ranj as you seem fairly clued up re xserve and xraid, but the xraid has dual non-redundant controllers...so without an fc fabric your windows server and mac server can only see one side of the array (7 disks each). I'm assuming that's why you'd need to use rsync between servers over the LAN to mirror or copy data from one server to the other ( ihaven't tried) - as the servers will have mounted an xraid volume it's effectively a copy or mirror from one controller to the other.

As for permissions as far as windows is concerned the logical volume is just that a 'logical volume' - a blank canvas for any servers to mount and apply whatever file system they require once the RAID scheme has been applied in raid admin. So in your case you are merely copying the data to a new RAID 5 set that is visible to your windows server - it just happens to be externally attached so follow the normal command/tools for maintaing ACL permissions. The xraid is really a DAS solution even with a switched fabric the controller performance can slow to a crawl if more than one hosts accesses a single controller.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj

So

Thanks
    I'm assuming you're aware of this ranj as you seem fairly clued up re xserve and xraid, but the xraid has dual non-redundant controllers...so without an fc fabric your windows server and mac server can only see one side of the array (7 disks each). I'm assuming that's why you'd need to use rsync between servers over the LAN to mirror or copy data from one server to the other ( ihaven't tried) - as the servers will have mounted an xraid volume it's effectively a copy or mirror from one controller to the other.

As for permissions as far as windows is concerned the logical volume is just that a 'logical volume' - a blank canvas for any servers to mount and apply whatever file system they require once the RAID scheme has been applied in raid admin. So in your case you are merely copying the data to a new RAID 5 set that is visible to your windows server - it just happens to be externally attached so follow the normal command/tools for maintaing ACL permissions. The xraid is really a DAS solution even with a switched fabric the controller performance can slow to a crawl if more than one hosts accesses a single controller.
    Sorry ranj i think i misunderstood your intentions - it looks like you're effectively moving all data currently served by a windows filer onto your array so your xserve is serving AFP and CIFS shares (or just CIFS shares) to both Mac and Windows clients - effectively a single NAS head. I assumed you were trying to connect both your windows server and your xserve to the xraid. Apologies.

That's a much better way to use the xraid...you can connect both controllers to the array and setup one big RAID 10 or RAID 50 (by software striping or mirroring ) plus other options if you don't want to do that.

Thank Post

Don't use RAID50 with OS X. The Stipe is done in software. When a disk failed on mine the whole RAID5 volume was taken offline instead of the disk by the XRAID, causing the stripe to fail. Bad things then happen.

Thank Post

I have scripted setting the ACL permissions on the mac server. I assume you are using AD to autenticate the mac users? This is a bit of a pain as SIDs are not resolved when viewing the shares from a windows machine. I've no idea if it would work with robocopy or windows backup, its worth a try. You need to check what WGM says about the permissions when you test it.

There are some advantages to using AFP for the macs still, you can use symbolic links for example. I use this to redirect the users Cache folder to a local folder on the hard disk when a user logs in to stop all those nasty internet cache files etc.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Don't use RAID50 with OS X. The Stipe is done in software. When a disk failed on mine the whole RAID5 volume was taken offline instead of the disk by the XRAID, causing the stripe to fail. Bad things then happen.
    I think the way os x/xserve does RAID 50 should be able to tolerate a single disk failure at the very least. If a single disk failure were to wreak so much havoc it wouldn't be the RAID setup of choice for media creators - they need a certain amount of fault tolerance as well as performance.

But to be fair we moved away from RAID 50 to a RAID0+1 because of the software RAID aspect - although the tradeoff with a high performance/fault tolerance setup like that is a huge waste of disk space.

Thank Post

I know it's not supposed to, that was why I was so frustrated with it because it did! It complained about response times, then marked the disk as failed, took the volume offline, then marked the disk as ok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread