+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Windows Home Directory in Technical; I really need some help as this is driving me slowly crazy. I've got a 10.7 Server and Win2008R2 Domain. ...

Thank Post

Windows Home Directory

I really need some help as this is driving me slowly crazy.

I've got a 10.7 Server and Win2008R2 Domain. I've been using mobile accounts to keep things in sync but that wasn't a good idea so have abandoned it.

When I log into a mac (10.8 and 10.7) with my own account the home directory thing works great and Documents, Desktop etc are the same as on Windows. However, when I log in with anyone else it doesn't work. On 10.7 it logs you in but no home folder any shares and on 10.8 it actually gives me an error (albeit v briefly) but you can't access anything. Here's all of it for the sake of completeness.

Code:
    The Home Folder for user "pupil" isn't located in the usual place or can't be accessed
    The home or users folder may have been moved or deleted. If the home folder is located on the network, the server may be temporarily unavailable, if yu continue to have problems, see your network administrator

Anyone hazard a guess as to where the problem might be? I'm feeling a bit stuck

Thank Post
    I have found in previous versions that the user has to have read access to the prior folders before hitting their home drive. Also An odd issue I hit before was with the search domain on the network card. Do you have the FQDN of your domain in the domain name of the DHCP option? Because most windows networks use the netbios name Apple has issues with these names sometimes so by having a search domain it adds the FQDN at the end of the computer name. (Hope that makes sense!)

Ross

Thank Post
    I gave that user Read permissions to the parent folder but it didn't seem to make a difference. They should have all the permissions they need. Perhaps I will give them the same permissions as my (domain admin) account and see what happens.

Does make sense I don't remember setting the option in the DHCP, or where it is for that matter but, if I go into System Preferences->Network->DNS I can see my "domain.local" in the search domains. So guess that's set.

edit -Hmm. Changing permissions didn't seem to work. I must be missing something simple. Rrrr
    Last edited by furby; 31st January 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Still a bit stumped. Created a new user and had the same problem. If it can't find the home directory I can only assume it's pointing to the wrong folders but I have the option ticked in Directory Utility and the user has full permissions. Could it be grabbing the location from somewhere else?Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 11.22.31.png

Thank Post
    It does sound like a permissions issue, but you seem to have ruled that out. Your set up looks exactly what I've used before in the past, and that's worked (almost) flawlessly. The only thing I could suggest is check to see if the Macs have appeared in the AD computers folder, then try moving them to a Mac OU or something like that. Or try rebinding the computer to AD/OD?

Thank Post
    I finally got this to work I'm not entirely sure how though as I did a couple of things at the same time and don't wont to touch it now. But, if it helps anyone else, I think it was when I made the shares hidden (\\server\pupil\name$) that I had success. I noticed that the shares weren't showing up in the "Share and Storage Management" application on the Windows server but when I created the share using that, rather than let windows create it when logging on there was folder redirection.

Quick question as I'm here, do Mac preferences (/Library) get copied/synced or are settings lost each log in?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread