+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Managed Screen Saver in Technical; Hi all, Only on the beloved (by some) Apple formats would changing the default screen saver by machine groups be ...
    Thank Post

Managed Screen Saver

Hi all,

Only on the beloved (by some) Apple formats would changing the default screen saver by machine groups be anywhere near this difficult!! If anyone has cracked this and has some tips they'd surely be appreciated! The problem goes like this:

I have created a screensaver file in Apple's very own developer tool "Quartz Composer". It is in the .qtz format and works should I log into a Mac and set it as the screensaver as a normal user would. However deploying it out to a studio is a whole different ball game it seems!

I have a group of computers in Workgroup Manager and to apply the screen saver I have gone to Preferences, Overview, and chosen the Login section. Under the Options tab, I have set it to 'Always' manage, and configured it to enable after 20 minutes. In the path to the screen saver I have pointed it at my own screensaver file instead of 'Flurry', and have copied the file in question to the /System/Preferences/Screen Savers/ directory on all machines concerned.

I have also checked and updated the settings in the Details tab of the preferences page for that group and edited to the plist com.apple.screensaver.

I have forced the clients in question to refresh their settings from WGM.

The problem is that a) it doesn't work; they all stubbornly show the 'Flurry' screensaver that is apparently the default even if I choose a different screensaver shipped as part of OSX, and b) my screen saver displays an error below the path that describes my screensaver file "The module cannot run from loginwindow". This error only shows on my screen saver, not the ones that ship with OSX.

The clients are running 10.7.5, the server is 10.6.

Any ideas from all you fruity fanboys & girls?!

Thank Post
    91 views - at least its not just me that doesn't have the answer I guess!!

My latest idea was to program myself a screensave and just replace Flurry on the local machine. A devious plan to fool the nasty Macs. The problem now arises that Flurry is a .saver and I only have a .qtz. Turns out that the .saver is actually coded in C and I can't even see the source to edit it. Seems a long shot (very long in fact) but does anyone have any source code for a .saver that displays images that I could modify?

This seems like an incredible amount of hassle to set a screensaver, but like everyone keeps telling me: "Macs just work". Yeah right... :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about giving this a try?

[Warning: You need to know C.]

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

Tyiell (11th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks! I'd found a few of the pages that are linked from that in my own googling, but the actual page you've found seems to have an example in a zip file for download. My C knowledge isn't wirth a damn I'm afraid (only used it in my first year of uni, and too many brains cells have drowned in alcohol since to hope to recover that knowledge!), but I hope I'll be able to edit an existing example...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Thanks! I'd found a few of the pages that are linked from that in my own googling, but the actual page you've found seems to have an example in a zip file for download. My C knowledge isn't wirth a damn I'm afraid (only used it in my first year of uni, and too many brains cells have drowned in alcohol since to hope to recover that knowledge!), but I hope I'll be able to edit an existing example...
    I'm no expert... But if you can export to a .saver with your compiler, perhaps you can open them too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread