+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iPods on Windows 2008 network in Technical; Hello, A member of staff has managed to somehow persuade our head to purchase 5 iPod touches, based on the ...
    Thank Post

iPods on Windows 2008 network

Hello,

A member of staff has managed to somehow persuade our head to purchase 5 iPod touches, based on the fact there is one piece of software that will be good to use for Foundation stage children. Some kind of child management software or something by 2Simple. I have nothing against Apple (i am a hardened Mac user) but bringing them onto our Windows network makes me shudder a bit.

My first question is: If they go ahead with this, which they probably will no matter what i say, what's the best way to manage the devices?

2- How do you download apps on them without having to do it on each individual device?

3- Do you think it's a good idea for them to be used in Foundation stage with children aged between 4-5?

4- Is there a clinic i can go to if it all goes wrong?

J
    x

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    My first question is: If they go ahead with this, which they probably will no matter what i say, what's the best way to manage the devices?

2- How do you download apps on them without having to do it on each individual device?

3- Do you think it's a good idea for them to be used in Foundation stage with children aged between 4-5?

4- Is there a clinic i can go to if it all goes wrong?
    Honestly, for that small number of devices I wouldn't go the hassle of trying to manage them as a set. Unless you're planning to deploy hundreds.

Link them to a single itunes account, buy the 2simple app license (As one of our schools has), then you just install the free app onto the devices from the same itunes sync.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea doing it with really young children, just to do with the fact it takes very little to drop/damage them. They're only used (especially with 2simple) from the teachers at the primary that uses them. (Its an app for teachers, not students)

Clinic wise, Edugeek! Honestly not anywhere officially really. Apps like 2simple aren't supported by Apple stores etc, Nor is deployment/management of devices that isn't done directly on iTunes, Most of the stores I've been to don't even know of VPP etc.

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

marsdenprimary (17th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Honestly, for that small number of devices I wouldn't go the hassle of trying to manage them as a set. Unless you're planning to deploy hundreds.

Link them to a single itunes account, buy the 2simple app license (As one of our schools has), then you just install the free app onto the devices from the same itunes sync.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea doing it with really young children, just to do with the fact it takes very little to drop/damage them. They're only used (especially with 2simple) from the teachers at the primary that uses them. (Its an app for teachers, not students)

Clinic wise, Edugeek! Honestly not anywhere officially really. Apps like 2simple aren't supported by Apple stores etc, Nor is deployment/management of devices that isn't done directly on iTunes, Most of the stores I've been to don't even know of VPP etc.

Steve
    Cheers Steve- you've put my mind at ease a little there. It must only be staff who are using them so hopefully the kids won't get their hands on them!

Would I need to set up an Apple ID for our school? Then just plug the iPods into my office PC for example that has iTunes on it?

J

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Cheers Steve- you've put my mind at ease a little there. It must only be staff who are using them so hopefully the kids won't get their hands on them!

Would I need to set up an Apple ID for our school? Then just plug the iPods into my office PC for example that has iTunes on it?

J
    Yep, We've got it setup at one of the primaries that they have a seperate laptop/computer with iTunes on (As it needs a different proxy for iTunes store access, at least on our connection). This is then where they get the apps etc downloaded, then they just either download the apps via the iPod or sync with iTunes. (And backup etc).

If you are considering a large deployment, It might be worth looking at management, but with only a few you'll spend longer trying to implement it than setting them up

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread