+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Apple Configurator + DCIM folder in Technical; We have got numerous iPod/iPad sets and are in the process of rolling them out using the Apple Configurator tool ...

Thank Post

Apple Configurator + DCIM folder

We have got numerous iPod/iPad sets and are in the process of rolling them out using the Apple Configurator tool which I must admit is a nice piece of software. It locks down as much as Apple will allow and has enabled me to set them up almost to the way I want them...until today I discovered that devices that have been "supervised" by the tool will now longer allow you access to the pictures and videos within the DCIM folder. "This is something that is not supported at this time" https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Anyone had this ? or found a workaround, the only ones I can think of are email and cloud storage which are not ideal but maybe the only way.

Thank Post
    Update: You can, using the configurator, "Prepare" devices , install profiles and free apps and it wont disable the DCIM folder which is great. However should you want to install paid apps then your out of luck. in version 1.2.1 they added this

• Paid apps from the App Store can now be installed in the Prepare pane only when a device is being supervised

This basically means , for what I am trying to setup, you can either have access to the DCIM folder but no paid apps or you can roll out paid apps but you cannot have access to the DCIM folder.

"User is King" my bottom!

Cut off at every turn!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hyb80 View Post
    Update: You can, using the configurator, "Prepare" devices , install profiles and free apps and it wont disable the DCIM folder which is great. However should you want to install paid apps then your out of luck. in version 1.2.1 they added this

• Paid apps from the App Store can now be installed in the Prepare pane only when a device is being supervised

This basically means , for what I am trying to setup, you can either have access to the DCIM folder but no paid apps or you can roll out paid apps but you cannot have access to the DCIM folder.

"User is King" my bottom!

Cut off at every turn!!!!
    If the devices are being supervised then you can take all the photos and video off the iPads using the "assign' tab in Apple Configurator, or you can use Dropbox to move them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    If the devices are being supervised then you can take all the photos and video off the iPads using the "assign' tab in Apple Configurator, or you can use Dropbox to move them
    Problem is that the students will want to get them off themselves and we are win7. Looking at a combo of configurator and air watch to deploy paid apps

Thank Post
    SOLVED

What's New in Apple Configurator 1.4 for iOS 7? - ClassThink.com

Particularly this paragraph

Allow pairing with non-configurator hosts (supervised only)

This allows for teachers and students to connect their supervised iPad to their own computer and synchronized or drag and drop their photos and videos. Previously only the computer on which the iPad was supervised could access the DCIM folder on the device.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread