+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Death by Desktop and the Keyboard of Doom in Technical; But Macs just work, BS. Got a hold of a Mac which was having 'issues'. Turns out that the concept ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries

Death by Desktop and the Keyboard of Doom

But Macs just work, BS.

Got a hold of a Mac which was having 'issues'. Turns out that the concept of a file structure is too difficult for the modern Mac user to understand so when you open finder you get 'all your files'. It also has this stupid habit of copy only with no move between locations despite what you do. Cue Mac user copying everything to an external drive but missing and ending up with 10k files on the desktop.

Should be fine right, nope, Macs helpfully try to open and preview everything on the desktop giving you about a half second window to do stuff before the whole shebang locks up. Windows previews whats on the screen and leaves the rest till you need it. Otherwise g = (c) and all sorts of mental substitutions.

Create a new user and assign Admin permissions then use that to 'fix' the desktop and the keyboard goes freaking mental. Known fault where the mac forgets that its laptop keyboard is a laptop keyboard and you need to reboot it repeatedly with an external mac keyboard till it picks it up and resets it temporarily to the right kind.

OMG, for something that is 'easy' to use I should not have had to drop it to Linux/BSD shell mode to get the keyboard working and idiocy like flaking thanks to a few files is insane. I have seen 1ghz Celeron XP machines cope fine with the same kinds of mishaps. I thought they had fixed it several versions ago when someones 'top of the line' iMac 27" 16GB etc. choked on a memory card with a few hundred photos on it when a 6 year old xp laptop could cope fine.

It boggles the mind. Are they always this shocking or do I just get to see the really funky ones. Bearing in mind these were not old, iSeries CPUs with the latest at the time OSX.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th November 2012 at 05:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    My experience of Mac use is similar: fine until you do something wrong, or until something breaks, and then you are completely boned.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    OMG, for something that is 'easy' to use I should not have had to drop it to Linux/BSD shell mode to get the keyboard working and idiocy like flaking thanks to a few files is insane. I have seen 1ghz Celeron XP machines cope fine with the same kinds of mishaps. I thought they had fixed it several versions ago when someones 'top of the line' iMac 27" 16GB etc. choked on a memory card with a few hundred photos on it when a 6 year old xp laptop could cope fine.

It boggles the mind. Are they always this shocking or do I just get to see the really funky ones. Bearing in mind these were not old, iSeries CPUs with the latest at the time OSX.
    They're not always like that, you must just be "lucky".

As I've said before, I do like the macs I use personally, but I'm far from convinced that they're good bet for the enterprise right now... and yeah anyone who thinks they never go wrong is a twit who shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to an abacus, let alone a computer.

Thank Post
    Same here.... Macs are at their best when they are sat there, all gleaming & no users are using them

I am certain they behave better with a single, responsible user at the keyboard. Unfortunately I have only ever experienced them unmanaged in the anarchy created by multiple student users

Thank Post
    had similar isues when i borrowed a mac mini to play with. Set it up as i normally would my main pc so dumped all my pics music etc on it. Every time iphoto (or whatever it was) tried to add my photos (and there are lots as i usually have a as it came off camera size and a web friendly 800x600 or more recently 1024x768 version) it just bombed out repeadedly. And i know it was an odler version of osx and maybe this has been fixed but having to drop to shell to make safarri open a link in a new tab rather than a new window was silly

or the current issue i have in a school if i copy a video file madew onto the mac to a \\server location nowt else will play it copy it to pendrive and then copy to server it plays fine
    Last edited by sted; 20th November 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I've had similar issues with glitchy apps on an iPad refusing to open and iPads randomly freezing too. I do think your problem is exceptional though Synack.

I have to agree as already mentioned, Macs are great when they work but the support just isn't there. There isn't an equivalent Mac Technet, just as there is Microsoft Technet.

Didn't you know Macs are virus and malware free? They can't get infected according to many people...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Didn't you know Macs are virus and malware free? They can't get infected according to many people...
    You don't need to get malware for a Mac, all the glitchyness appears to be built in

Thank Post
    The best thing about OSX is DeployStudio

Oh any why in the hell has Apple got rid of resolution stretching in Mountain Lion?!?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread