+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, new imacs in Technical; hi everyone if you didn't know apple have updated the imac range, ilife 08 finally released and also iwork 08 ...
    Thank Post

new imacs

hi everyone

if you didn't know apple have updated the imac range, ilife 08 finally released and also iwork 08 also the mac mini has been updated

cheers

mark

Thank Post

Re: new imacs

My word they look good. After all, who couldn't want a ultrathin anodized aluminum enclosed keyboard?!

Now, who wants to buy me one?

Thank Post

beat me to it lol.

You can read here on some of the updates: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/new-imacs-released/

Ross

Thank Post

always wanted one, just never been able to afford it

Thank Post

We are luckly we waited to place our order for the Music Dept.
    Now they get 20 New iMacs
    And the Head of 6th Form even wants a 24" 2.8GHz for her office (I guess it will be a lazy Mac, only doing MS office)

Thank Post

I am not a mac fan admire from a far. I have been brainwashed at an early age that windows is the best operating system. However I have started to branch out to linux which I find more creative than windows. However Apple macs maybe something that performs and looks gr8 but I am a programmer don't need things to look gr8 just perform I sticking with ubuntu and windows . Gotta say off the subject of macs Vista is a waste of space after a couple of service packs I might change my mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't waste my money on anything from Apple They offer nothing I want or don't already have elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries

Imagine what the heat will be like on that aluminum case with the sun lol.

Thank Post

so that will be a problem for all of what? 2 weeks a year

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having been on holiday I missed the announcement. I forced myself to have no Net access at all just to see if I could manage and I almost made it all the way home without finding out what had gone on apart from an overheard conversation of two Swedes at breakfast. As soon as they started talking about the Macs they were speaking English and I caught a few things like "really shiny and will look good in the office" and "I glad she didn't find out I saved some money on this trip so I could get a new one" ... but not much detail about what Apple have done.

I will be ordering 15 on Monday.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I trust you have made a sensible and methodical analysis of making a purchase of such expense for new technology, Tony?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Must .... resist .... try .... not ... to ... comment ... and .. allow ... the ... unbelievers ... to ... besmirch ... the ... holy ... name ...!!!

Yep ... we had already done an analysis of using PCs rather than Macs to deliver the Media Technology course, visited a number of schools and then looked at the amount of time required for staff to prepare resources so on.

I was more in favour of PCs as it would mean I could make the room available for the Graphics / Product Design courses, but the teachers and students wanted the Macs.

I am actually looking to see if I can get the old models if they are available at a decently cheaper price. That would allow me to pick up a few more extras too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    but the teachers and students wanted the Macs.
    You asked teacher and students 8O , your crazy. They have this weird belief that you must have a Mac to do design / art /media which is absolute rubbish!

I was talking to a few people I know that are at uni (or have been to uni) doing Art / Design / Music Tech, fine they all said yes they have some macs but one uni (I've forgotten which) is actually binning the Macs as they don't see the point, as they all said that a PC can do what a Mac can do, and why make more work for overloaded IT techs, when just fitting 40 PCs to the existing PC network will work just as well and will be simpler to support as the staff are all PC trained.

So I would never give in to a Mac demand, they belong anywhere but in my places.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am still trying to work out why people see Macs as a serious addition to the workload of a support team?

User needs are one of the prime reasons we have the systems that we have, and to find out what is needed it means talking to the people that will be using the kit (or are already using existing kit).

I am not going to get into the usual flame war about what is best Macs or Windows based beige or black boxes (remembering that Macs are also windows boxes now!) but I will repeat that I believe that you should have a mixture of platforms and applications to help students learn and develop transferable skills.

Thank Post

Do you know, I was just going to write Here Here, then realised I didn't know whether it was Here Here or Hear Hear!! So I've now written it both ways, and either way it look silly. Must be the heat!

Anyway, GrumbleDook, I so agree with your sentiments on transferable skills. We've ordered 21 17" iMacs directly from Apple for the Music department mid-July and were given a date of mid-August for delivery. I can only assume we are going to get the new 20" iMacs - surely there's no way they'd send us old stuff?

I get so irritated doing stuff on Windows machines - the workflow is always so clunky compared to Macs. My network manager doesn't like them though - he only likes Microsoft. reminds me of a quote I read recently - may have been on this forum:

"Most "IT Professionals" are not actually "IT Professionals", they are just Microsoft junkies. All they know is Microsoft, and plugging various Microsoft systems together (or, trying to, anyway). To be an "IT Professional" you would actually have to have a solid understanding of protocols, and their capabilities."

It's his age, bless him, he's in his early twenties and Microsoft is all he's ever known. Since he dismisses everything else, its all he will ever know too :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast