+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Preferences via Workgroup Manager in Technical; Hi all, Having been a Mac user for several years, I am now looking at Macs in our school environment. ...

Thank Post

Question Preferences via Workgroup Manager

Hi all,

Having been a Mac user for several years, I am now looking at Macs in our school environment. It was commissioned and configured a few months ago and now we're looking at improving small bits and customising things to make it all seem a bit more streamline.

A couple of things we would like to do but I am not sure how to go about this:

Setting Mouse settings by default
    We use the Apple wired USB mice, and by default there is no secondary button and the tracking is set to an incredible slow speed, the guy that commissioned the integration for us said there isn't a way to set this by default, but i'm always looking for a work around! Can this be done either in Workgroup Manager or via a Shell Script on login maybe?

Roaming Preferences
    We did have this at first but then it broke! At the moment any preferences set by a user remain on the local machine, which is great, they can come back use it next week and their preferences are still there. But they won't always be using the same machine, so their preferences ideally should carry with them wherever they login! Again, we had this before but now it doesn't work - does anybody know how this is set in Workgroup Manager?

Show User Home in Finder
    If you go Finder > Preferences > Sidebar, you can add the User Home, which is shown by the logged on users name. This would be ideal as this is what the students see when using a Windows PC and recognise as their home directory - this would make their use of the Macs a lot easier! Can this be added by default? Again, we used to have it, but not sure why it isn't set anymore?
    Any help would be great! As I've said, i'm very new to this side of using a Mac, never had to use plists and shell scripts etc before, so i'm learning! Ive managed to set up a shell script to create a folder and set permissions on the local machine after being imaged so i'm slowly learning!

Thanks all

Thank Post
    Mouse - add in a plist in to Workgroup Manager to manage this. We have it set so that the right button on the original Mighty Mouse was active by default

Roaming - you need network home directories for this. What is your current set up?

Home in sidebar - again if you have network home directories, this just works. You need to clarify your current set up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    Mouse - add in a plist in to Workgroup Manager to manage this. We have it set so that the right button on the original Mighty Mouse was active by default
    We've tried adding the plist but it didn't work? From searching online i've been told that it only creates a plist for the wireless mice, not the wired ones?

Roaming - you need network home directories for this. What is your current set up?
    At the moment it maps their network home from the Windows domain as their network home for the Macs. It adds this volume, and preferences go with this, but do not roam.

Home in sidebar - again if you have network home directories, this just works. You need to clarify your current set up.
    It has appeared yesterday, not sure how, or what we did to make it appear? So we'll say that's sorted now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread