+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, All Users Desktop in Technical; Hi I've got so many questions about macs and AD. Where do I start! Is there a way of getting ...
    Thank Post

Smile All Users Desktop

Hi
    I've got so many questions about macs and AD. Where do I start!

Is there a way of getting all the users to have the same icons on the dock no matter who logs in? You can put a bunch of aliase's from Applications into the Users / Shared folder but it's not quite what I wanted.....I wanted to fix an all users taskbar with the same programs on that involves no dragging on the part of the user.

Also I wanted Picassa to open when you double click on a Jpeg ( not Iphoto). Is there a way of automatically setting file associations for all users ( automating this ).

Thanks for your help , I'm really stuck hunting on the net for these answers.

Thank Post
    You can manage the dock with a mac server by user group or computer. So say if Music had music specific software you could do that by computer and manage all the groups with your generic software.

You can change file associations on the image.

Ross

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I have done this with a MAC server and Active Directory. When users login they authenticate against AD but the MAC server can allow you to specify the dock items and what applications users can use.

Not sure about file associations on MACS.

Another posibility could be a default profile which I think can be done that could have drive mappings icons etc.

Thank Post
    I see thanks Ross. I had a feeling someone was going to suggest that.
    I was thinking of buying a Mac server but there are so many things I need to find out. I wonder - would a mac mini suffice for 250 users? They look pretty fast.....for something so small. It's difficult to know how much dosh it's going to cost for the amount of users and space.
    I am trying to hunt down some tips about it....trying to integrate it into a Windows environment. It's a big hill to climb up at the moment!

Thank Post
    The trouble with buying a mac server is also the issue - do we have to set up all the users again ( 250 of them ).....as they are already on our windows AD domain.......it could be difficult to manage involving duplication.....sorry if I am going off topic.......

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pixellip View Post
    The trouble with buying a mac server is also the issue - do we have to set up all the users again ( 250 of them ).....as they are already on our windows AD domain.......it could be difficult to manage involving duplication.....sorry if I am going off topic.......
    No you don't have to setup all the users again, they authenticate against Active Directory, the MAC Server OSX can then access the users from the existing Domain.

As for the size of the Mini Server, how many MACs are going to be using it at once?

You could allways look at purschasing a 2nd MAC server similar to having a 2nd domain controller for resilience etc.

Thank Post
    That's really handy thanks Davit.
    I'd say there would be 20 macs using the server......there's about 250 users here who use macs
    I had already joined our Imacs to the AD domain but for some unknown reason the 'Other' login button drops off on the Imacs and no one can suggest why and everyone was getting fedup.....which is why I started thinking maybe it's time to buy a mac server. Wasn't sure if AD on the macs was a bit flakey or not.
    The mac minis look good......I keep wondering what they will be like running one as a server with that many users ( it's only Photoshop and Jpegs they are opening not video).

Thanks of all your help everyone.....I do appreciate your advice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread