+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Apple TV 802.1x Apple Configurator in Technical; So Apple TVs with latest update (5.1) are supposedly able to connect to wireless and through proxy servers using 802.1x. ...
    Thank Post

Apple TV 802.1x Apple Configurator

So Apple TVs with latest update (5.1) are supposedly able to connect to wireless and through proxy servers using 802.1x. This is possible by uploading a Profile through Apple Configurator.

support.apple.com/kb/HT5438

Has anyone got this to work? My profile which includes credentials, passwords and proxy server info works perfectly on iPads, you don't have to accept certificates, but the same profile will not work on Apple TVs.

Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi

I can't even get AppleTV's to sync with a very basic "profile" - I get "device not responding" after a while of it looking like it's going to work....

Thank Post
    In the end to get around radius I have setup a new hidden sid just for the apple tvs. Bit of a lazy way but does the trick.

This can then be pushed with the Apple Configurator.

Ross

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply Ross, perhaps this is the only way forward for now.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know how you can change the trusted server certificate names? You can edit them but it won't let you save them in? Perhaps this could be why ATV won't connect with enterprise settings!?

Thank Post
    You can do this by importing a profile from iPhone Config tool. Unfortunately it does not appear to help in any way!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzer View Post
    In the end to get around radius I have setup a new hidden sid just for the apple tvs. Bit of a lazy way but does the trick.

This can then be pushed with the Apple Configurator.

Ross
    This may sound a stupid question but dont devices need to be on the same SSID to connect to the apple TV?

How do you do this if the SSID the Apple TV is on is hidden?

Sorry, maybe i'm misinformed?

Thank Post
    You are right but I have setup a seperate BYOD wireless network which is on WPA2 which is only assisgned to mobile devices and Apple tvs.

Ross

Thank Post
    Reason Apple TV won't connect with 802.1x is that ATV time is automatically set on start up (which fails as no ip address) and so certificates are out of date. The only way around is to connect to a network with port 123 (which sets time) open, reload profile and then restart ATV which now has correct time.

Does anyone know how to set the time and date manually on ATV? I can't seem to find an answer..

Thank Post
    Been trying myself to get a proxy onto an Apple TV (To allow time update / activation / itunes access etc).

However the Apple Configurator just doesn't want to allow us to have a proxy on the device!

I managed to get passed the "device not responding" part by turning the Apple TV on first without the micro usb cable plugged in and then keep pressing menu button to by pass the time update / activation etc until the light stops blinking on the Apple TV, then plugin in the USB Cable and go through the prepare device process on the configurator.

Unfortunately neither global proxy (ensuring its a supervised device) or WiFi Proxy actual seem to apply once the device says it's done and you try to let it update time / activate etc.

If anyone does end up finding a solution, please do tell.

Thank Post
    I did get the ATV to work going through our proxy but you have to first join the ATV to a network which will allow it access to set time (I used a 3G MiFi). Then go to settings menu, add the profile with Apple configurator, make sure you have set time to London and restart. The ATV should now connect through a proxy to an enterprise network as the correct time will allow certificates to be accepted.

I haven't looked into Global Proxies but can assure you that the WiFi proxy is working for us.

Problem is if someone turns the ATV off you have to go through this again. It's not really a workable solution!
    Last edited by AV_IT_; 19th October 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm struggling with getting the Apple TVs working through LGfL proxies, or ours for that matter. It seems to cause 400 Bad Request and 302 Temporally moved errors in our TMG logs.

Tried directly out to LGfL proxies and also using a squid proxy.

Anyone for any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

Has anybody got anywhere with this issue? I'm trying to set the proxy using a profile created in Configurator on the MacBook and sync'ed to the Apple TV, I'm getting the same issue as AV_IT_ mentioned where by I have to set up the device using a non-proxied Internet connection to set the time, I then connect to the mac to download the profile, sometime the Internet proxy then works after a restart (sometimes it doesn't) but then went its switched off and back on it just won't connect to the Internet, as if its loosing the proxy settings! The profile still shows as being installed under the general menu on the Apple TV, and my WiFi settings are still in place, so it's connected to the school network. I've today spoken to Apple who have said it sounds like its faulty and have said to get it swapped out with a replacement, but I've got my doubts on it being faulty!!

Any news or fixes/solutions would be great!

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    I have given up trying to activate the Apple TVs through the school network for now.

I have noticed that Apple have updated the Configurator and I am struggling with Profiles

Thank Post
    Sorry but I really can not understand why these have to be connected to the internet?

You don't need internet connectivity to mirror from an iPad and the features when to do get it connected are to be frank fairly basic?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast