+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, To Mountain Lion or Not To Mountain Lion .. That is the question .. in Technical; Ok, so after a long summer, I'm trying to decide whether I should now upgrade my MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 ...
    Thank Post

To Mountain Lion or Not To Mountain Lion .. That is the question ..

Ok, so after a long summer, I'm trying to decide whether I should now upgrade my MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 i7) to Mountain Lion or not.

What are peoples experiences as the App Store seems to be full of woe and anger and generally bad comments about it, so I thought instead of looking there, I'd ask for some real world advice from fellow techies.

Ta All
    Andy T :-)

Thank Post
    Download and install was quicker than lion and I downloaded on day of release. Last year it took me all night to download lion and that was 2 weeks after release. But with mountain lion it only took 2 hours and installed in less than an hour. Nothing broke after the upgrade but had upgraded a lot of programs to work with lion the year before.
    I have no faults with mountain lion.
    This is on a MacbookPro early 2011 i5 8gb Ram

3. Thanks to andy_nic from:

soveryapt (30th August 2012)

Thank Post
    got it all on the new imacs here havent had any issue with it so far.... *fingers crossed*

5. Thanks to mdench from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still haven't got round to putting it on the Macs here but I intend to as at least it will be up-to-date with security as best as it can be. It will also play a bit nicer with our Windows domain.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    To Mountain Lion it is then! lol ..

(I'll come and find you all though if it goes horribly wrong! lol .. )

Thank Post
    Have noticed that mountain lion has been more reliable with our windows domain and the OS X Server with picking up profile management settings etc

10. Thanks to mdench from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been happy with it on all my machines so far but my Wife's MBP (mid 2009 2.53 Core2 Duo) is starting to feel it running some games and would probably be better with a bit more RAM. We've both found that iPhoto is way slower on all machines since upgrading. I've moved over to Aperture anyway but tempted to do that for wife's machine too.

12. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    The upgrade Mountain Lion for me has been reasonably good. It feels a lot more polished than Lion (if that is at all possible! :P). I have found a few niggly bugs. There is the SMB issues that I posted in another thread here. Also, there is an annoying bug that causes the mouse cursor to disappear every now and then. It's been posted on the Apple forums, but hasn't been attended to so far as of 10.8.1.

I've been running it on my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, Core i7. I upgraded the RAM to 8Gb from 4Gb as I noticed it was struggling if I tried to run any VMs, but it's brilliant now with 8Gb. (Only cost me £33 from Crucial) Other than that, it has been mainly plain sailing.

14. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The upgrade Mountain Lion for me has been reasonably good. It feels a lot more polished than Lion (if that is at all possible! :P). I have found a few niggly bugs. There is the SMB issues that I posted in another thread here. Also, there is an annoying bug that causes the mouse cursor to disappear every now and then. It's been posted on the Apple forums, but hasn't been attended to so far as of 10.8.1.

I've been running it on my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, Core i7. I upgraded the RAM to 8Gb from 4Gb as I noticed it was struggling if I tried to run any VMs, but it's brilliant now with 8Gb. (Only cost me £33 from Crucial) Other than that, it has been mainly plain sailing.
    Yeah, it was one of the first things I did after buying my MBP - upgraded the RAM to the full 8GB for about 15% of what Apple were asking at the time! lol ..

Thanks

Thank Post
    I installed it on an early 2011 MBP and I haven't discovered anything truly hateful. I prefer the new spaces implementation and syncing $random_calendar and making it play nicely with other calendars is much better. No longer do I have the Snow Leopard "hey you've got three alarms for the same item because you foolishly edited it on more than one device" issue.

Main annoyances:

Can't encrypt a homedir on a non-boot disk*, so I'm faffing about with Truecrypt login hooks instead.
    MFD manufacturers have produced some truly appalling drivers for Mountain Lion. Not terribly surprised.
    Resolution scaling for Windows 7 guests in Virtualbox** isn't great and blackscreens if you fiddle too much.
    Faffing around with Xcode to get Macport dependencies to play nicely.

*SSD for apps and OS, original 500GB sata for data and vms.

17. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    Ive upgrade all my machines only noticeable issue I have found with my 2011 Macbook Air is when I wake the machine from sleep it can freeze for 10 seconds before I can do anything. Bit annoying!

Ross

19. Thanks to Rozzer from:

Thank Post
    I am currently building and testing a Mountain Lion Image for mass deployment, A few machines here have the updated image and it seems to play nicer with the DeployStudio Workflows I have setup, e.g changing the computer name and installing a enrolment profile, whereas I had issues with this in lion. Feels a fair bit snappier than Lion even on Machines with 2GB of RAM.

I have also noticed that the System and System Library folders are reverted back to snow leopard behavior and are no longer hidden by default which is a good thing in my opinion.

21. Thanks to JordanF from:

soveryapt (1st September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    I have also noticed that the System and System Library folders are reverted back to snow leopard behavior and are no longer hidden by default which is a good thing in my opinion.
    Now that's nice to know. I've got it all downloaded and ready to go, but just in case I'm one of those cases that it doesn't go well for, I'm just getting a few projects out of the way before I end up with very late nights restoring everything! lol ..

Thank Post
    Also another thing to note is if your Music/Performing Arts faculty uses Pro Tools 8 (This issue doesn't affect later versions apparently).
    If you install Pro Tools 8 on your image or any Mac running 10.7/10.8, you will corrupt your audio units framework and render GarageBand/Logic or any other program that relies on this framework useless.

This didn't happen in Snow Leopard... I suppose people who deployed lion have already dealt with this issue but I thought i'd just keep those who have not deployed Lion and are going from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (like us) in the loop...
    Last edited by JordanF; 2nd September 2012 at 04:13 PM.

24. Thanks to JordanF from:

soveryapt (3rd September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    Also another thing to note is if your Music/Performing Arts faculty uses Pro Tools 8 (This issue doesn't affect later versions apparently).
    If you install Pro Tools 8 on your image or any Mac running 10.7/10.8, you will corrupt your audio units framework and render GarageBand/Logic or any other program that relies on this framework useless.

This didn't happen in Snow Leopard... I suppose people who deployed lion have already dealt with this issue but I thought i'd just keep those who have not deployed Lion and are going from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion (like us) in the loop...
    Thankfully this is my personal MBP, and Logic and Mainstage are unaffected .. (I say that, but I have a band rehearsal tonight whereby I use Mainstage quite heavily, so if I come on tomorrow and the air around this post seems a bit blue you know why! lol)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast