+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, LGFL 2.0 Email and Spiceworks Helpdesk in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Hold on, may have answered it myself here: https://support.lgfl.org.uk/public/d...l_UG_HR_V1.pdf...
    hit
    Thank Post
    Hold on, may have answered it myself here: https://support.lgfl.org.uk/public/d...l_UG_HR_V1.pdf

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    OK, nice one, that looks pretty good for a lot of things, but do you know if you can access via SMTP? Would be great for our internal forums and joomla sites.
    I couldn't get smtp to work and read email only from the shared mailbox, it would always try and read my full mailbox.

Thank Post
    Why don't you just log into the LGfL support site and create a single USO user in your school with the User request single page. Make it a believable user - if you try Adam Dimension it will get rejected but John Smith has always worked for me - then enable a staffmail account for that user then put an aliases onto that account of whatever@yourdomain then use the mail relay they provide to send mail to the outside world smtp the mailbox down to your helpdesk server and your jobs done.

Be careful with the user account you have set up I believe the LGfL records will show you created the user and you will have a hard time if the Police every want to know about that user account.

Thank Post
    I dont understand why they wont allow for a school to set up a generic email account for the helpdesk to use. Nearly all schools have a helpdesk system in place. Nearly all allow for users to email fault tickets in and for the helpdesk to reply to them. It cant be tied into a personal email address as it should only ever deal with helpdesk tickets.

Thank Post
    I asked that question and the answer I got was that since USO holds so much sensitive data on students and staff that they need tractability of users and this is why generics do not exist, a by product of the USO account is the email account – can’t have an email account without USO.

Fair do’s to them on that one you would not be able to get a generic National Insurance number and I’d like my data kept safe thanks. The only risk I’m running by bending the rules like this is to take on responsibility of keeping my ‘generic’ account secret and secure – as long as I don’t hand the user details out then I’m fine for a conversation with the law on the topic and I’ve had that in the past.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan0808 View Post
    Here goes, you need to setup a shared mailbox on the back of your own lgflmail mailbox on Atomwides system. Call it ICTTech or whatever you would like. Once that is done, get the full mailbox address, it's usually in the format of mailbox????@lgflmail.org, this is also on the Atomwide system. Then setup Spiceworks email settings as below;

Outgoing email - Exchange

Server - https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/m...?@lgflmail.org - Your shared mailbox full address
    Username & password - Your standard username & password

Incoming settings - POP

Server - mail.lgflmail.org
    Port - 995 - SSL ticked
    Username - youremailaddress@lgflmail.org\mailbox????
    password - your password

I can confirm it does work this way! let me know how you get on,

Brendan
    @Brendan0808

Finally got around to setting this up but it doesnt work for me. The outgoing works fine. Do i need to have pop3 access enabled by LGfL?
    Each time I put in the details I get "Error on incoming settings : User name must be correct and password must be correct". I know my username and password are typed in correctly.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    So the reason you canít do POP3 is that itís turned off by default.

You need to go find the users in the support site and hit the 'details' button for them and go to the Ďemailí tab edit that page and turn on pop3

BE WARNED Ė ticking this will result in EVERYTHING being popíed down to you and if you ever ask the support guys at Atomwide to recover the mailbox they will politely say no.

Why arenít you inventing a user for the support system ?

Thank Post
    Mine comes up with "Error on incoming settings: Server https://mail.lgflmail.org could not be reached on port 995. " Any idea if they have another port besides 995?

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Guys,

These details did work on LGfL for some time but have now been blocked. We now have to use a fake user account setup on Atomwide and then put the standard MS Exchange connections through Spiceworks.
    This seems to be the only way of getting this working now.

Brendan

10. Thanks to Brendan0808 from:

PaulRenda (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    I've setup the fake user account, but the problem I have is that Spiceworks doesn't mask it as coming from icthelpdesk@, but instead the fake.user.206@, which is really annoying because on the test I ran, everyone comes up asking who is fake.user, does he work for us?

I'm wondering if I setup a outlook.com user and re-direct... would it work? Have to give it a go.

Thank Post
    Failed to get Gmail or Outlook to work! :-(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRenda View Post
    I've setup the fake user account, but the problem I have is that Spiceworks doesn't mask it as coming from icthelpdesk@, but instead the fake.user.206@, which is really annoying because on the test I ran, everyone comes up asking who is fake.user, does he work for us?

I'm wondering if I setup a outlook.com user and re-direct... would it work? Have to give it a go.
    Have you tried changing the "use as from address" for the user?

Thank Post
    WHOA!! How do I do that?? Please elaborate... (maybe I have done this...)

Thank Post
    Login to atomwide support site as the user - go to "my account" then "email". Should list all the aliases for the user that you have created. Should give an option to change the from address.

16. Thanks to fiza from:

PaulRenda (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan0808 View Post
    Here goes, you need to setup a shared mailbox on the back of your own lgflmail mailbox on Atomwides system. Call it ICTTech or whatever you would like. Once that is done, get the full mailbox address, it's usually in the format of mailbox????@lgflmail.org, this is also on the Atomwide system. Then setup Spiceworks email settings as below;

Outgoing email - Exchange

Server - https://mail.lgflmail.org/exchange/m...?@lgflmail.org - Your shared mailbox full address
    Username & password - Your standard username & password

Incoming settings - POP

Server - mail.lgflmail.org
    Port - 995 - SSL ticked
    Username - youremailaddress@lgflmail.org\mailbox????
    password - your password

I can confirm it does work this way! let me know how you get on,

Brendan
    I know I'm a bad person for gravedigging a 2 year old thread, but has anyone had an issue using a shared mailbox (LGFL) with Spiceworks where it shows the mailbox's owner's display name rather than the shared mailbox display name (or spiceworks display name for that matter)?

For example the outgoing settings are correct, but when we get an email it displays my name rather than "Helpdesk"..

Also, anyone managed to get Exchange working for Incoming mail?

**edit**

Spoke to LGFL and they said they'd allow a "user" email for the helpdesk as long as we provide an IP address where the mail will originate from (our helpdesk server) so that's sorted.
    Last edited by Arreks; 26th September 2014 at 01:32 PM.

18. Thanks to Arreks from:

hit (26th September 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast