+ Post New Thread
London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, How many LGFL schools have finally moved over to Virgin? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Hey Guys, The company I work for look after about 40 Primary schools within LGFL - All of which have ...

Thank Post

How many LGFL schools have finally moved over to Virgin?

Hey Guys,

The company I work for look after about 40 Primary schools within LGFL - All of which have signed up to have signed up for LGFL 2.0. Out of all of them, only one has had Virgin fully installed. Most have had the fibre installed, but that is it. I was wondering how many other schools have got a fully working Virgin Connection?

Thanks

Nick

Thank Post
    We've had a Virgin connection since June/July, but we were probably the first school connected!

Thank Post
    Hey Soulfish. Thanks for that. How have you found the service as a whole? What package did your school go for in the end? What upload speeds are you getting??

Thanks again

Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought that provided the local Virgin network was ready for a given school, moving over would primarily be determined by the date of the end of the Synetrix contract for that site.

hit
    Thank Post
    One of my schools moved over today, it was a bloody nightmare!

I had 2 sub-contractors to VM who were meant to be Cisco bods with two trainees in tow who seemed to not have a freeking clue on how to set up the CPE and firewall! After them being on site for 6 1/2 hours I ended up following their crib shhets and doing it for them and proving that it worked. on top of that we are missing a firewall (we are feeding a school next door) so they didn't get moved over and no-one seems to know when the missing kit will arrive.

The speed increase is amazing but seeing as we went from 5Mb to 100Mb it's hardly supprising.

Now I'm trying to get my head around WebScreen 2 which is a whole other nightmare in it's own right, it appears that our default policy has been copied from a very restrictive primary set which means I now have to explicitly allow sites (no wild cards/regexp allowed on allows, only on blocks) and we can't change which categories are blocked/allowed, thats only at LA level and above only. Also, why the hell doesn't it use NTLMAuth? We had the foresight to create a mechanism to synchronise our local logins with USO to save students and staff having to remember a bundle of usernames/passwords but staff will still have to put their login details in to the block page to get to something the students aren't allowed!

Oh, and so much for logmein not being allowed on LGfL2, sure as hell works here for me! The CentraStage product is awsome though, a couple of glitches with it (USO radius login on the client doesnt work, you have to log into the web page first) but it allows you to do a lot without even opening a VNC/RDP to the desktop. I guess I will use a combination of the two for now.

So..
    speed increase = fantastic!
    god knows how many hours fidling with everything over the forseeable future to make it work properly = CRAP!
    installation engineers = <insert your own expletive here>!

And I only have another 4 schools to deal with!

[/RANT]

6. Thanks to hit from:

talksr (26th March 2012)

hit
    Thank Post
    Gahhh, just when I thought it couldnt get any worse!

Gonna have to get this fixed!
    edu-failed.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    edugeek was often blocked by LA filter policies... no supprise that we're going to have to live through bumpy times during the transition.

The current version of the technical transition guides basically say allow a day for the installation and then a day to figure out how to get your own services back working again.

http://www.lgfl.net/about/pages/info...medium=schools

Given the now very short length of time before LGFL is actively disassembled there are going to be some horror stories, but they should be transient.

Hit, after the third one you'll probably qualify as an expert... maybe LGFL should pay you as a troubleshooter, I recon their going to need all the help they can get!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread