London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, oh Synetrix in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Long story short, we went from a 255.255.254.0 subnet to a 255.255.252.0 due to the extra machines we were to ...
Long story short, we went from a 255.255.254.0 subnet to a 255.255.252.0 due to the extra machines we were to have on our network. Filled in all the paper work months ago, got a reply back saying all is done. As it was term time we couldnt really test it out. I think one half term I gave it a go, deactivate our current scope and made a new one, tried manually assigning an IP in the new range, didnt work (just assumed id done it wrong)
Anyway, moving on to summer time, we do it properly (technically someone else did it for us as we were having wifi installed). Fired it up, all seems hunky dory, although we didnt test anything in the new range we had.
Start of school, many issues I wont go into. Notice that some machines are problems connecting to the domain like before (as we didnt have enough IPs to dish out), have a look at DHCP, server hasnt issued anything in the new range.
Decide to try a manual IP assign, doesnt work
Call Syentrix yesterday, get an email at about 3pm saying all is find their end (they do the core routing) and as if by magic machines have now started obtaining IPs in the new range. The first machine to get one was a 3.30PM, of course i only checked today as I called to query the email they sent....
Without wanting to sound as if I am defending Synetrix I have to admit to getting frustrated in the past when dealing with network hardware.
You have a box / router / switch which appears to be set up right, the right ACLs are in there ... VLANs ... whatever you are playing with. But it just does not work. You go back and look again, save on exit and it then works. I suppose it all boils down to doing testing at the time of change and making sure it is right. If I can't get something tested at the time I won't sign it off ... or at least sign it off with the warning of 'untested' on it.
Well, back end routing in our LEA is controlled by Syentrix, we cant make any internal changes until they do it their end. So it was done over the summer, after numerous bits of paper work, but sadly it wasn't quite done.
I tried assigning a machine with an ip from the new range, nadda. Didn't even see the router. I didnt have to reset anything, once i called them, and they checked it to 'confirm' it was ok, it all started working our end.
It was more of a rant to be honest. Perhaps ive just been unlucky in my dealing with them, but thought id get it off my chest. Thanks for the support guys.