+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, Any LGFL Schools use Google Apps? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Have any LGFL Schools moved away from the LGFL provided staffmail, Londonmail and Office365 offerings to go completely Google? We ...

Thank Post

Any LGFL Schools use Google Apps?

Have any LGFL Schools moved away from the LGFL provided staffmail, Londonmail and Office365 offerings to go completely Google?

We are looking at Google Apps for Education - so much functionality there but currently we are tied in with Staffmail and Office365.

Thank Post
    *bump* no one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Any LGFL Schools use Google Apps?

I think I know someone who knows some one. Will ask them to ask them if they want to share their experience (it was good last thing I heard)

4. Thanks to psydii from:

fiza (24th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    I think I know someone who knows some one. Will ask them to ask them if they want to share their experience (it was good last thing I heard)
    Would appreciate it. We want to go down this route.

Thank Post
    Hi Fiza,

We are using google apps for the last five and half years without downtime ( with the exception of two hours once when google email system was down two years ago ). We have never used LGFL staff mail or office 365 etc so no experience in this regard. Google apps is working perfectly for us. We are using 30 GB of storage for email / docs and sharing is another great feature of google apps.

You can setup google apps for testing, which is obviously free and see if fulfil your requirements.

I am happy to help you to setup google apps.

Let me know what is your question regarding google apps?

Apur

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apur32 View Post
    Hi Fiza,

We are using google apps for the last five and half years without downtime ( with the exception of two hours once when google email system was down two years ago ). We have never used LGFL staff mail or office 365 etc so no experience in this regard. Google apps is working perfectly for us. We are using 30 GB of storage for email / docs and sharing is another great feature of google apps.

You can setup google apps for testing, which is obviously free and see if fulfil your requirements.

I am happy to help you to setup google apps.

Let me know what is your question regarding google apps?

Apur
    @apur32 - Do you use LGFL as your ISP? Where about is your school? pm me the details if you want. Would be interested in a visit to see your setup.

Thank Post
    What functionality are you looking to use that is missing within the 2 current ones? We played with Google apps for a while but in terms of just "user friendly" for the staff, the 2 provided ones are adequate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    What functionality are you looking to use that is missing within the 2 current ones? We played with Google apps for a while but in terms of just "user friendly" for the staff, the 2 provided ones are adequate.
    We have tested the collaboration side of it and its hit and miss to be honest. With Google it just flows.
    Staff can only send/receive emails externally with Staffmail. If they want to use Londonmail and Office365 then emails are restricted to our domain only. We don't want to have 2 different systems.

Thank Post
    Ah, I see. Yes its weird that staff cannot use Londonmail to send emails to students (its primary aim is for students only I believe) but you can send and receive to and from londonmail with staffmail as long as you change the settings to allow it.

Thats what we have done and can't really complain as it does its job. I think it was more a transition between the londonmail/staffmail interface to google apps that would have ground our staff to a halt.

Thank Post
    That's the issue - why not have one system for the school? By default students can send and receive email using Londonmail to anyone but staff cant?

I cant see where you would change the setting? I am an NC for the school but all I get is as in the photo.londonmail.JPG

Doesnt seem to be an edit button for 'other' whereas there is for all the year groups.

edit : Sorry for the small photo.

Thank Post
    Yeah, the staff one has no edit I did call and ask but that is how its set up. Apparently its an education resource for children rather than staff.

With the student ones, to email from staffmail you need to set it to any domain approved by lgfl I think... but then, you cannot send from @schooldomain.sch.uk as its not in the lgfl list.
    What we did is added it to establishment level, so lgflmail.org and schooldomain.sch.uk and we changed the "external" option for students so they can send and receive external to our school only rather than the whole world.

That sorted us, or as far as our kids need access to email for. Staff can email them, they can email staff, it seems to be working well and we then made use of the distribution lists

Thank Post
    Not in your area but +1 for Google. Set-up both Gapps and 365 for 5 primary schools and all independently decided to go with Googles offering.

Thank Post
    We're an LGFL school and had Google Apps for a few years now - 30GB storage is nice.
    What info you after?

Thank Post
    Hi

I'm working in a (rather mad?!) primary looking at migrating to google apps from lgflmail and internal file sharing etc.

Be very interested to know how people have google drive setup, do you use it entirely web based or install the software for synicing as well?

Thank Post
    We install the software but put a link to the web based version on our website, although we still host most files on our server and tend to use drive like a USB key.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast