+ Post New Thread
London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, Remote support now really starting to do my head in in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Yes, I know it's an old subject, and maybe this should be behind the red door, except it's of no ...

Thank Post

Remote support now really starting to do my head in

Yes, I know it's an old subject, and maybe this should be behind the red door, except it's of no interest except to those on LGfL.

I find the restrictions are increasingly impeding the resolution of problems at my site. I deal with many external support companies (RM, HP, EBM, IOT, Serco, NRS, 5i, PS Financials, Tech-Ex, Securus, Impero etc. etc) each of which has several support staff potentially requiring remote access, so trying to set each up with a USO is just impractical, as well as adding delays to me getting support when I need it. I really can't see how allowing password-protected remote access to my networks is anything to do with the Grid, who seem to think they're a corporate IT department instead of a service company. Once a support agent has gained access to our network they're logged on as an account inside the school, and are fully traceable. And they only get in when I say they can.

How are others faring?

Thank Post
    Why don't you get yourself an OPT 2 connection - give you all the control you like plus an un-filtered system ?

I've avoided OPT2 because I want the protection and security features LGfL have invested loads of money in, the ballanced Internet feeds and the remote access tools and tracking they have in place, I've also got some schools using TeamViewer having signed up to the Cat2 filter system and I'm told that RM & LogMeIn Entreprise are about to hit the streets.

In this day and age security & safety I'm afraid is high on my list

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodrog View Post
    Why don't you get yourself an OPT 2 connection - give you all the control you like plus an un-filtered system ?

I've avoided OPT2 because I want the protection and security features LGfL have invested loads of money in, the ballanced Internet feeds and the remote access tools and tracking they have in place, I've also got some schools using TeamViewer having signed up to the Cat2 filter system and I'm told that RM & LogMeIn Entreprise are about to hit the streets.

In this day and age security & safety I'm afraid is high on my list
    I don't want to change network providers because I already have one! It's something to think about at renewal time, though. We are a large school with our own Exchange server, comprehensive firewalls, web filters and most other things. We don't really (choose to) use very much that LGfL provides other than the connectivity itself.

Of course security and safety are high on anyone's list. That's why any remote access needs to be controlled and monitored. But in my school it should be me making these decisions, not the Grid.

Yesterday was not atypical. Remote support was needed on a Cisco Callmanager, our Finance server, the system running our cashless catering, a SAN controller and our Trapeze WiFi controllers. That, in the LGfL view of things, should have meant asking five individuals to tell me the day they were born so that I can ask the Grid for a USO, which may (but normally doesn't) take up to a day to set up. They don't NEED USO - they need access nothing outside a few prescribed parts of my network, under my control.

It just makes my life harder than it need, and I really can't be alone in that.

Good to hear about the proposed forthcoming changes, although I understand they're still a while off.

Thank Post
    Just discovered that the LogMeIn Rescue Enterprise solution that LogMeIn have been working on has been released - LogMeIn Rescue Enterprise now apparently supports OTP tags and LGfL - being used by various support companies

https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/wel...ntegration.pdf

5. Thanks to Nodrog from:

birchanger (26th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birchanger View Post
    Yes, I know it's an old subject, and maybe this should be behind the red door, except it's of no interest except to those on LGfL.

I find the restrictions are increasingly impeding the resolution of problems at my site. I deal with many external support companies (RM, HP, EBM, IOT, Serco, NRS, 5i, PS Financials, Tech-Ex, Securus, Impero etc. etc) each of which has several support staff potentially requiring remote access, so trying to set each up with a USO is just impractical, as well as adding delays to me getting support when I need it. I really can't see how allowing password-protected remote access to my networks is anything to do with the Grid, who seem to think they're a corporate IT department instead of a service company. Once a support agent has gained access to our network they're logged on as an account inside the school, and are fully traceable. And they only get in when I say they can.

How are others faring?
    Hi there,
    We are also very frustrated with the remote support situation and no resolution from LGFL so far.

Can you please send me a private message or personal message and see if I can help you.

Rab
    Last edited by Rab_Wah32; 7th December 2012 at 07:30 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread