+ Post New Thread
London Grid for Learning (LGfL) Thread, Web Filtering of Google/Yahoo Images in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Morning all, We are currently having a problem with the blocking of google / yahoo images. The local category 'Images' ...

Thank Post

Web Filtering of Google/Yahoo Images

Morning all,

We are currently having a problem with the blocking of google / yahoo images.

The local category 'Images' has to be allowed otherwise it stops all images from displaying, such as the BBC website. We have denied local category 'Search Engines - Images/Video' for students, however can still access google/yahoo images.

Google doesn't display a different URL when viewing images so it is difficult to do a 'keyword' block or similar, as this would stop google all together.

Is there anyway to stop all search engine images?

Thanks

Ryan
    Last edited by RJohnson91; 4th October 2012 at 11:34 AM.

rad
    Thank Post
    I raised this with them a month back. In short the answer was NO

Pm if you want further info.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patmilton View Post
    I suggest you try Qustodio from Internets Best Parental Control Software | Free by Qustodio. Its free, light weight and easy to configure, you will easily be able to achieve your objective with it.
    Looks good for a home environment but what about for a school, can this be installed on a server for instance?

Ryan

Thank Post
    Why would you want to block image searches?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Why would you want to block image searches?
    No offence but do you really need an answer to that?

Kids aged 11-16 you figure what they would be searching for

I know the keyword block is 'good' but all it takes is one child to pick up a one single image of which is offensive to their race, or sexual in anyway, print it off and take it home

I'm sure as a parent you wouldnt want your son/daughter looking at stuff like that!

Ryan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    No offence but do you really need an answer to that?

Kids aged 11-16 you figure what they would be searching for

I know the keyword block is 'good' but all it takes is one child to pick up a one single image of which is offensive to their race, or sexual in anyway, print it off and take it home

I'm sure as a parent you wouldnt want your son/daughter looking at stuff like that!

Ryan
    Oh I assumed LGFL had decent enough filtering not to show those images in searching. So.. it wasn't such a stupid question really. ;-)

In my opinion blocking the whole of Google Images is overkill. There's tons of image search sites out there, are you going to block them all? As long as they can't view images they shouldn't be able to I see no issue.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 17th October 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Oh I assumed LGFL had decent enough filtering not to show those images in searching. So.. it wasn't such a stupid question really. ;-)

In my opinion blocking the whole of Google Images is overkill. There's tons of image search sites out there, are you going to block them all? As long as they can't view images they shouldn't be able to I see no issue.
    Ah, I was wondering why!

Yeah their word filter is okay, but some images aren't tagged with the right tags, took me all of 5 minutes to grab an 'internesting' image!

I know you're right, blocking all image searches is impossible, however if we can block the main ones at least we have a leg to stand on if a parent comes in screaming that their kid has offensive images. The kids would have to go out of their way to get the image, where with google images you could stumble across an image.

Looks like LGFL wont block it any time soon anyway.

FYI for anyone with the same issue Google video will be open aswel!

Thank Post
    We use work examiner (link here) in our university to block various things... Recommending it for complicated blocking like yours, by html content masks or hidden requests. Google images makes a requests to images data servers that should be blocked...

rad
    Thank Post
    After 18 months we just allowed it. It was easier as students need pictures for projects, where else do student go? Pic search isn't any good for projects.
    Last edited by rad; 5th February 2014 at 09:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    Morning all,

We are currently having a problem with the blocking of google / yahoo images.

The local category 'Images' has to be allowed otherwise it stops all images from displaying, such as the BBC website. We have denied local category 'Search Engines - Images/Video' for students, however can still access google/yahoo images.

Google doesn't display a different URL when viewing images so it is difficult to do a 'keyword' block or similar, as this would stop google all together.

Is there anyway to stop all search engine images?

Thanks

Ryan
    The iBoss web filter by Phantom (www.iBoss.com) is capable of intelligent image blocking for Google and other sites. It is also the best web filter I have ever seen in all respects, including reporting.

Thank Post
    The following works at the school I support. From the user guide:

"It is possible to stop Google image searches but the only way to do this is through the use of 'Regular Expressions'.
    The regular expressions created for this purpose must be added to the Local Block list of each policy where Google image searches should be blocked.
    The quick method of doing this is by going to the Local URLs and Keywords page and clicking the New URL or Keyword button.
    Then add the regular expressions listed below, one at a time, and specify which filtering policies they should be included in.
    Please copy and paste the following regular expressions into your filtering policies (they must appear exactly as shown with brackets, etc):
    (www\.google\..+/.+\&site=imghp)
    (www\.google\..+/images/)
    (www\.google\..+/imghp)
    (images\.google\..+/)
    (tbm=isch)
    (tbs=img:1)
    (tbs=isch)

https://support.atomwide.com/secure/...l?ws2_faq.html

For this to work though I would expect that the LGfL DNS would need to be used.

I assume with Yahoo, I haven't tested it, that you can simply keyword block images.search.yahoo.com

Hope this helps?

Thank Post
    Strange as I thought the LGFL would have had this all sorted. Our broadband supplier only allows Google safe search and we also have an onsite filter doing the same job.

Our staff and students relies heavily on a Google Image for various research.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGibson View Post
    Strange as I thought the LGFL would have had this all sorted. Our broadband supplier only allows Google safe search and we also have an onsite filter doing the same job.

Our staff and students relies heavily on a Google Image for various research.
    With LGfL the default filtering policies do enforce safe search. Google safe search can be far from perfect though...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread