+ Post New Thread
Links Thread, Webmasters: A Look into Color Theory in Web Design in Links, Downloads and Scripts; The white symbolizes hope and freedom, showing a value for safety and purity. There are orange and blue accents to ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Webmasters: A Look into Color Theory in Web Design

The white symbolizes hope and freedom, showing a value for safety and purity.
    There are orange and blue accents to help people feel at ease when on the site, as well as excited and hopeful to find their perfect purchase.
    Green symbolizes nature and has a healing quality. It can be used to symbolize growth and harmony. People feel safe with green. Hospitals often use the color of green.
    Link: A Look into Color Theory in Web Design

With passages like these included in the article surely you can't go wrong using this as a guide when designing your website?

2. Thanks to DaveP from:

mossj (13th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Funnily enough I was looking for color palletes today...

Although I don't subscribe to the 'meanings' of colour, as it changes based on your geographic location, culture and other factors.

Thank Post
    They have a good point, backed up by some good examples lower down. Colours schemes really do influence feeling, just like musical keys do in a composition.

Don't underestimate the power of colour, especially when trying to sell something or convey a political idea.
    Last edited by OverWorked; 13th March 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    They have a good point, backed up by some good examples lower down. Colours schemes really do influence feeling, just like musical keys do in a composition.

Don't underestimate the power of colour, especially when trying to sell something or convey a political idea.
    Yes but don't underestimate the cultral differences, even non multi-national companies must consider them now.

As chances are a decent % of visits even to websites aimed at people living in a specific location won't actually be originally from the area (not racist, just a fact).

Take the color of red for example
    Red is power, hence the red power tie for business people and the red carpet for celebrities and VIPs (very important people).

Flashing red lights denote danger or emergency. Stop signs and stop lights are red to get the drivers' attention and alert them to the dangers of the intersection.

In some cultures, red denotes purity, joy, and celebration. Red is the color of happiness and prosperity in China and may be used to attract good luck.
    Red is often the color worn by brides in the East while it is the color of mourning in South Africa. In Russia the Bolsheviks used a red flag when they overthrew the Tsar, thus red became associated with communism.
    So depending on where you are from and your culture... red could mean any of the following:
    - Power
    - Purity, Joy, and Celebration
    - Happiness, Luck and Prosperity
    - Weddings
    - Mourning
    - Communism

Culture is very very stong in society still, and in my work I have to be very mindful of it. For several reasons...

which I'm not going into because we could debate certain things (some I don't agree with), and I don't want it ending up on my employeers door step.
    Last edited by mossj; 13th March 2010 at 10:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread