+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78
Links Thread, proxy bypass sites in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Originally Posted by examstudies.com If I recall correctly from my studies; I believe my college and the complainte maybe in ...
  1. #61
    Friez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    839
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    If I recall correctly from my studies; I believe my college and the complainte maybe in breach of the Data Protection Act; one for the later asking if I attend the college and the former, for my college confirming this. Although I'm not going to take that any further I just wanted to point it out.
    That's rich.

    Lets see here:
    You post your name on your website(public domain).
    This makes it really easy to find your Bebo (also public domain).

    And on your Bebo you make it public information as to what college you attend.

    You offer up that information voluntarily I'm afraid to say. Unless I'm missing something here, It's probably unlikely the college let loose any of your personal information.

    You're only digging yourself a deeper hole.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    12
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    But by the college confirming that I do indeed attend there than that maybe. Like I said anyway I'm not bothered by it, it was just something a friend mentioned.

    Hopefully this all blows over now.

  3. #63

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,935
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    There is a password on the site, which has been passed around.

    If I recall correctly from my studies; I believe my college and the complainte maybe in breach of the Data Protection Act; one for the later asking if I attend the college and the former, for my college confirming this. Although I'm not going to take that any further I just wanted to point it out.
    PM in the post ... I want to chat with you first before you say anything you may regret.

    I have already set up a blacklist of sites which I don't want people going on so porn shouldn't be able to be accessed (lol the irony).

    As for bullying ... that is a strong word to use.
    To me it does, if you read some of the comments in the thread, for e.g people laughing and mocking at the fact they though my site had been taken down.

    I'm just going to leave this all now as my college have let me off with a formal warning, and don't want it going any further.
    Thanks for all your input and advice tho, it's all been taken on board
    Good to see that you are taking this in the general feeling of the community ... and then getting on with life.

  4. #64
    Guest

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    But by the college confirming that I do indeed attend there than that maybe.
    i may be wrong here but i believe the recent freedom of information act requires certain places to have such info available to anyone that asks

    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    Like I said anyway I'm not bothered by it, it was just something a friend mentioned.
    good learn from it and move on
    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    Hopefully this all blows over now.
    does that mean your taking the proxies down and working on something esle

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Many accusations hold, though, no water.

    Firstly, a proxy service is NOT illegal. Using it to bypass security setup IS illegal.

    It's mostly interpretation of the law that you guys are up in arms about.

    Even a in-depth knowledge of the Uni's network security would mitigate bypassing it quite easily.

    Take for instance him having that knowledge. He finds security holes in the system, although never using them himself, he posts his findings on a personal website. Obviously, not hosted by the Uni. He never mentions the network or clues as to where it is. He gives that it's for security reasons, he's a white hat.

    BUT, some people happen upon it from the university, some students. They use this information to bypass the security measures in place. The IT folk happen to find that some people are bypassing security and end up finding the site has some info related to how to do this.

    Simply, though, he can't be fined/punished by his findings. Not more than the man who invented the gun for everyone who's been killed by one.

    It's a similar case. Just because he has a personal site that has ways of bypassing a certain type of security doesn't mean he should get in trouble for it. Nor do the laws stipulate that to be true.

    He's not at fault for his actions and he could keep the site up legally. If your university's network is so easily bypassed with a simple proxy your begging to be bypassed and hacked.

    Anyone who wants will just find the many thousands just like his and use that information instead. So instead of punishing a student, find ways to fix the whole and thank him for his ingenuity.

    .... such political bullshit.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    @Kickarse...

    I'm not sure it was ever stated that it was illegal, which is why i'm sure he just got away with a warning.

    It's mainly the fact that he was encouraging others to do illegal things with his proxy. As you said yourself, using it to bypass security is illegal according to T&C of the educational facility they are at.

    If you would like quotes, here are some:

    Im response to

    alevelwork.com’s proxy no longer works for myspace. ne1 got any clues?
    (my school uses Lightspeed filters)
    He replied

    Hey, yeah alevelwork proxy is down because my host had to disable it, I gotta new site tho
    www.examstudies.com
    click portal and the username is random and password is random1
    For another similar question on a different forum, the response was:

    Hey that's my site just saw rock-forums from the referrer logs.
    The proxy on that site has been disabled by my host (dreamhost) but I've found a new one and set it up www.examstudies.com click portal username: random password:random1

    Hope it works for you!
    Jak
    Am sure more has happened through word of mouth. He even admitted he knew he was bending the rules:

    Quote Originally Posted by examstudies.com
    To be fair I have to "bend the system" my college has pretty much all pages except a select few blocked, which doesn't seem fair considering
    This was edited out earlier today by examstudies.com to protect himself, but what he originally said still remains in a quote from GrumbleDook just afterwards.

    He may not have done anything illegal, but encouraging others to do so is just as morally wrong in my opinion, and he knew it because he admitted it in above quote. Not only do the T&C of just about every educational facility I know of make bypassing the filter illegal, but it allows students full access to the internet which puts the network managers job is a dodgy position because he is the one that is supposed to have locked this down. Can you now see why people are annoyed?

    As for there being thousands of other proxies out there... I didn't know that because a lot of people are doing something that it makes it morally right.

    None of this would have happened anyway if he hadn't come to this forum to "bragg" about his other domains that we didn't know about. This too has been edited out I believe, but we all saw it. He simply got picked on because he made himself an easy target by doing this.

  7. #67
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,966
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    @ka

    If you are actively aiding an illegal act that makes you an accessory. It is beholdant upon you to prevent the illegal act.

    The person is a student at the institution. He is bound by that institutions rules. That institution has a duty to protect it's users.

    The purpose of the technology is to circumvent rules knowingly, wether the intent was innocent; harmful; illegal etc., is of no consequence - the act is still a contravention of the rules.

  8. #68

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,406
    Thank Post
    639
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    324

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Hehe, just shows what sort of a person this Jak is - found this "interesting" photo on his Bebo page

    Photograph removed - Come on folks ... he has had his wrists slapped but a little less of the this sort of thing, please. GrumbleDook

    Point taken

  9. #69

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Hehe, just shows what sort of a person this Jak is - found this "interesting" photo on his Bebo page
    Thats very interesting indeed, haha.

    Incidently, is kickarse a college friend of Jak by any chance?

    Quote Originally Posted by kickarse
    Anyone who wants will just find the many thousands just like his and use that information instead. So instead of punishing a student, find ways to fix the whole and thank him for his ingenuity
    Wow. If you can do this with 100% accuracy short of blacklisting all sites except those in a whitelist, you are in the money mate.

    ingenuity is the wrong word to select in my opinon. It's not difficult to create a proxy and as he said, he just jumped on a bandwagon. Not a wise decision, but I admit I may have made the same decision before I matured and got a job.

  10. #70

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,406
    Thank Post
    639
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    324

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    It certainly is. And yes, kickarse probably is a friend (or Jak signed up with another account to try and make it seem he has some support).

    I think his biggest mistake was letting other people use it and advertising the service. He could have saved himself a lot of bother by not telling anyone about it

  11. #71

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    It certainly is. And yes, kickarse probably is a friend (or Jak signed up with another account to try and make it seem he has some support).

    I think his biggest mistake was letting other people use it and advertising the service. He could have saved himself a lot of bother by not telling anyone about it
    Lol. Incidently he also has google ads on his website. Yet in their T&C it says certain websites are not allowed including:

    Any other content that promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others
    I think that his website both promotes illegal activity and infringes on the legal rights of the colleges etc. to sensor material. I wonder if google know the "backend" part of his website exists, especially for the purpose he designed it for?

  12. #72

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,935
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    It is unlikely to be Jak, but quite possible that it is someone who has used his site and is not happy now.

    Yes, most of us don't agree with what he did and have told him, in no uncertain terms, but let us not let things get out of hand and get too personal. I would not appreciate my details being pushed around so let us be reasonable.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    It is unlikely to be Jak, but quite possible that it is someone who has used his site and is not happy now.

    Yes, most of us don't agree with what he did and have told him, in no uncertain terms, but let us not let things get out of hand and get too personal. I would not appreciate my details being pushed around so let us be reasonable.
    I apologise, I agree with you completely.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    12
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    I find it quit unreal that some of you guys seem to be spending your time digging up personal information upon and posting photos of me trying to make me out as a bad person. I presume the photo was of the ID because this yes would make it even more easier to make me to look bad.

    Secondly, i'll take the proxies down; no not because I feel I'm being pressured or bullied or doing anything wrong, but I can't be bothered with someone trying to pinpoint something on me and wrecking my career. It will be a loss to me considering I've paid upfront for hosting etc, i'll have to sort through tons of e-mails asking as to why I've took them down.

    As for the Google ads, do a search find another proxy and check if they have ads, my guess would be yes, i've seen other proxy sites with them as the site does not promote illegal activity, as I've said proxies are legal and people are free to use them (maybe not at your institution, but they are legal for use.)

    Kickarse is not an alto ego, have GrumbleDook do an IP if need be. I asked for insight from another forum and he was good enough to try and take off some of the pressure from me.


    None of this would have happened anyway if he hadn't come to this forum to "bragg" about his other domains that we didn't know about. This too has been edited out I believe, but we all saw it. He simply got picked on because he made himself an easy target by doing this.
    Do I not have the right to defend myself? I found a site mocking me and the use of my site as if everyone who uses them are up to no good. I did indeed edit them out because at the time of writing I was pretty frustrated at the thread, but when re-reading did not want it to seem if I was indeed bragging.
    but I admit I may have made the same decision before I matured and got a job.
    You don't even know, please don't assume that you do. Just because I have a site that you disagree with does not make me immature.

    As I said proxies will go, hope this provided you with a bit of fun for a while.

  15. #75
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,966
    Thank Post
    248
    Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: proxy bypass sites

    But you ARE </were> doing something wrong

    A basic point you have yet to successfully counter.

    I don't wish to upset you by retaliating to what you've said, there would be no point. I don't wish to humiliate you. If you were to become more entrenched in your views that would hinder you reaching a balanced viewpoint.

    Your pride has been hurt. Not a nice feeling. You also must have pride from pier recognition. Those are dangerous waters.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Proxy Bypass Websites
    By ticker in forum Windows
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th May 2006, 09:28 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •