+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, Apple stopped Volume License purchase for OSX Lion. Help! in Technical; Hi All I am hoping someone here might be able to help. We were hoping to upgrade all our Macs ...

Thank Post

Apple stopped Volume License purchase for OSX Lion. Help!

Hi All

I am hoping someone here might be able to help.

We were hoping to upgrade all our Macs to OSX Lion this summer, but when I went to order the licenses I was told that Apple have stopped the sale of Volume licenses with software assurance.

I rung Apple to clarify this and they confirmed it. To my utter astonishment all they could say was "Buy the Mountain Lion Licenses in July". We don't really want to do this as we feel we can't trust a brand new released Apple OS on our entire campus. We have a mixed estate of OSX Leopard and OSX Snow Leopard. Sadly we never purchased any software assurance, which I am trying to rectify now.

Is anyone else stuck with this problem, and if so how are you intending to proceed?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Install Windows 7 site wide, that'd teach them

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Licencing forum.

Thank Post
    Sorry for choosing the wrong forum area.

Synack I'd dearly love to do that with Windows 7 and get rid of them all. Would be simple enough with our campus agreement. We were going to dual boot them all with Lion and Windows 7.

I cannot believe Apple have stopped selling licenses before the new version is available.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fun thing I was told was that you have to have gone through the previous versions for the license for the latest one to be applicable too. So, if you had a Leopard machine, then you'd've had to have legit licenses for Snow Leopard as well as Lion for the Lion one to be legal.

So, if they're not selling volume licenses of each, that leaves you kinda scuppered in bringing your fleet up to date.

Thank Post
    Mountain Lion can be upgraded directly from 10.6 Snow leopard so won't need Lion. However, I would purchase the mountain lion when available and deploy Lion anyway. It's not my fault that I cannot choose what version of the OS I want. If I wish to run a previous version and purchase the latest, surely that would be my decision. I am still licensed after all?

Apple's licensing is becoming a real problem for users not wishing to run with the latest version. I don't want to update to Lion as "versioning" would be just too much to teach to staff let alone the kids. And to have the software keep moaning about versioning not being supported on the volume would annoy everyone greatly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Mountain Lion can be upgraded directly from 10.6 Snow leopard so won't need Lion.
    Can you provide some sort of link saying that? It flies in the face of what I've always been told!

Thank Post

9. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

localzuk (21st June 2012)

Thank Post
    I can understand what people are saying about going straight to Mountain Lion. The trouble is we don't want to. Apple are notorius for things not working and we haven't had time to test it. We have been testing Lion, but didn't want to buy the licenses until we knew we were ready to switch. I can't believe I missed Apples cut off date by 5 days!!!!! And there was no warning I saw anywhere, or even a call from our Apple Rep.

I was told that if I had a single install disc for Lion I could just install that everywhere. I was dumbfounded by this statement. When I asked if the Mountain Lion licenses would then allow me to downgrade to Lion they clearly said that "No that wasn't allowed!". However they then went on to advise me to do just that!!!!!

I raised the obvious question about "So what happens if the software police come and do an audit then?" Funnily enough they went a bit quiet.

It seems to me like Apple don't really care about the enterprise and volume license areas like colleges and Universities anymore. It's like they are making too much money from the home users now with iPads and iPods etc.

Currently we have 9 x servers and approx 400 x Mac clients, and we are totally screwed unless we wait for Mountain Lion. Even then we won't have enough time over the summer holidays left to do a roll-out!

Thank Post
    If you have a Lion installer, I would perhaps just roll out Lion or stay where you are at (10.6.8)?

Do you need to move up to Lion?

Thank Post
    ^ To be honest, if you get that in writing from them ("you can use one disc to install everywhere") I'd be tempted to do it, if that's what they are advising!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought that you could go backwards from ML to Lion on the VL deal? At least that is what a few HE/FE folk think and have been told ...

I'll go and ask again but now have a feeling they were told the same as you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I thought that you could go backwards from ML to Lion on the VL deal? At least that is what a few HE/FE folk think and have been told ...

I'll go and ask again but now have a feeling they were told the same as you.
    You are correct, Apple licensing rules have always been shrouded in mystery but.....

As long as you have a legit licence for each Mac then it doesn;t matter whether that is ML or Lion, so a downgrade from a VL licence of ML to Lion would be perceived as a proper legit licence.

BTW, I've never seen anyone from Apple in the UK wanting to audit software licences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    You are correct, Apple licensing rules have always been shrouded in mystery but.....

As long as you have a legit licence for each Mac then it doesn;t matter whether that is ML or Lion, so a downgrade from a VL licence of ML to Lion would be perceived as a proper legit licence.

BTW, I've never seen anyone from Apple in the UK wanting to audit software licences.
    I agree with this too, and I know many Apple resellers advise this to there customers and have done so since the days of users wanting an OS9 license when you could only get OSX. These resellers would even burn a copy of the earlier version that the customer wanted.

Thank Post
    Buy a copy of Lion via the app store. Image and restore. Make sure you buy enough copies of the Mountain Lion VL when it comes out and you will be fine. We run Snow Leopard on Lion generation iMacs and Apple Ok'd it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast