+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Licensing Questions Thread, Apple stopped Volume License purchase for OSX Lion. Help! in Technical; Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 Meh.... Schools wanting multiple licences have always had the ability to buy them either through the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Meh....

Schools wanting multiple licences have always had the ability to buy them either through the Apple Ed Store or their local ASE dealer so I don't understand where all the negativity comes from.

Mass deployment of Lion or Lion Server can be done in number of ways, personally I prefer the one below using Deploy Studio.....

Skinning a Cat: Lots of Ways to Deploy Lion
    The negativity comes from the original post "but when I went to order the licenses I was told that Apple have stopped the sale of Volume licenses with software assurance."

Also, the volume licensing of apps is a major difficulty right now too... So, there's your negativity.

Thank Post
    I thought you could only image upto 5 macs for each downloaded copy you get
    So a single copy purchased through the Mac App store can be ran on 5 machines? Is that not just the family pack? :-S

So what would be the process to get a Mac from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, can you do a straight upgrade? Edit: Answer on page 1 says yes. Cheers!

How about from Leopard to Mountain Lion, is that even possible? I imagine you'd have to go to Snow Leopard and then to Mountain Lion?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 26th June 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks again to everybody here for your views and ideas.

I got clarification from the Apple Education team today that they cannot do anything about Volume Licensing on OSX Lion for me. I simply have to wait for Mountain Lion now. They also don't see the problem with going straight to Mountain Lion as, according to them, whatever Apple hardware runs Lion will also run Mountain Lion and there will be no problems with the Mountain Lion OSX. Apple are going to get one of their engineers to ring me when Mountain Lion comes out to discuss any issues I might have with running it straight after release as they can't see why I am so against the idea.

I have explained to them, time and again, that we simply cannot risk just going straight to Mountain Lion without any testing of software or training for the staff. On top of that they can't tell me "exactly when" in July I will be able to purchase the licenses. They fail to understand that colleges and universities only have a very small window of opportunity to get things like this done over the summer holidays and workng for the start of the next academic year. To be honest this just shows a total and utter lack of understanding of the enterprise environment on their part. The best bit is that our establishment is a case study on the Apple website! Now I wonder what I might say to anyone who rings up in the future .....

In total contrast Microsoft are looking for early adopters for Windows 8. From what I was told they will cover all software costs and even send in their own engineers, free of charge, to help get everything running smoothly. I was approached by a hardware vendor to ask if we would be interested in taking part. I of course replied "YES!"

4. Thanks to GrahamPayton from:

Roberto (28th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamPayton View Post
    according to them, whatever Apple hardware runs Lion will also run Mountain Lion
    But not according to Wikipedia, where I've just been checking about my newly-acquired early 2008-model Macbook Air. According to that page it will upgrade okay to Max OS X Lion but not to Mountain Lion. The chap at the Apple store today fitting a new battery seemed to think it would run Mac OS X Mountain Lion too, but I'm guessing that Wikipedia page was updated by someone with practical testing experience of the pre-release version so I'm going with Wikipedia's opinion for the moment.

Thank Post
    Am I missing something, or, can you not do the upgrade next summer? That'll give you 12 months to test? Or is the current OS lacking in features you need/no longer supported?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    But not according to Wikipedia, where I've just been checking about my newly-acquired early 2008-model Macbook Air. According to that page it will upgrade okay to Max OS X Lion but not to Mountain Lion. The chap at the Apple store today fitting a new battery seemed to think it would run Mac OS X Mountain Lion too, but I'm guessing that Wikipedia page was updated by someone with practical testing experience of the pre-release version so I'm going with Wikipedia's opinion for the moment.
    Support OS shows "Mountain Lion" and "Lion", in the table at the bottom??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    According to that page it will upgrade okay to Mac OS X Lion but not to Mountain Lion.
    Wikipedia is right. Your early 2008 MacBook Air won't run Mountain Lion due to the crappy Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics. The late 2008 model will however.

The chap at the Apple store today fitting a new battery seemed to think it would run Mac OS X Mountain Lion too
    Clearly not a "genius" then!

I'm guessing that Wikipedia page was updated by someone with practical testing experience of the pre-release version.
    It was probably updated by someone who read about the system requirements for Mountain Lion over four months ago. There were articles on most websites at the time. e.g. Ars Technica, AnandTech, OS X Daily, MacRumors, Cult of Mac, 9to5Mac etc. etc.

Apple's website also has a list of supported Mac's: www.apple.com/osx/specs/

my newly-acquired early 2008-model Macbook Air.
    You must have known it would be permanently stuck with Lion?

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (27th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    On top of that they can't tell me "exactly when" in July I will be able to purchase the licenses.
    The rumoured release date is 19 July 2012. Lion was released on 20/07/2011 so this sounds plausible given that a new OS X will be released each year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You must have known it would be permanently stuck with Lion?
    Oh, yes, hence it's cheap - I only want it for iBook / iPad development, and Mac OS X Lion should be fine for that for now and for a while to come, so it saves me having to buy a new Mac Mini for a year or two.

Thank Post
    I can understand what people are saying about going straight to Mountain Lion. The trouble is we don't want to. Apple are notorius for things not working and we haven't had time to test it. We have been testing Lion, but didn't want to buy the licenses until we knew we were ready to switch. I can't believe I missed Apples cut off date by 5 days!!!!! And there was no warning I saw anywhere, or even a call from our Apple Rep.

I was told that if I had a single install disc for Lion I could just install that everywhere. I was dumbfounded by this statement. When I asked if the Mountain Lion licenses would then allow me to downgrade to Lion they clearly said that "No that wasn't allowed!". However they then went on to advise me to do just that!!!!!

I raised the obvious question about "So what happens if the software police come and do an audit then?" Funnily enough they went a bit quiet.

It seems to me like Apple don't really care about the enterprise and volume license areas like colleges and Universities anymore. It's like they are making too much money from the home users now with iPads and iPods etc.

Currently we have 9 x servers and approx 400 x Mac clients, and we are totally screwed unless we wait for Mountain Lion. Even then we won't have enough time over the summer holidays left to do a roll-out!

Indeed, I was told directly by several sources at Apple that a I could NOT buy a Mt. Lion license but only install to Lion. They said it would violate the license. Considering that Mt. Lion no longer has X11 (you can use Xquartz) or Xgrid (no free substitute), we do not necessarily want our machines on Mt. Lion

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123