+ Post New Thread
Licensing Questions Thread, A question about software obtained through a Technet subscription... in Technical; ...

Thank Post

A question about software obtained through a Technet subscription...

I have a Technet subscription and understand that the software licenced to me through it is intended for personal use in training, etc. But i have a question about the titles themselves. Specifically i downloaded MicroSoft DPM 2010 the other day to see if would be any good. Installed it on my test system and was happy with the interface, etc. Now, the software doesn't require a licences key, you just buy sufficient licenses and tell the software 'i have x amount'. What i am wondering is if this software downloaded through Technet is any different to software on a disk obtained from a reseller? I can't see why it would be so, so provided i make sure i'm properly licenced i should be able to use the Technet ISO to install it on our production systems, correct?

Further to this, is it safe to assume that downloads of titles that do require a licence key are identical to versions obtained through other channels and can be used to do installs, provided i use a correctly licenced licence key, etc? Given we're charged £20 for disk media these days (and get a hastily burnt DVD-R for our trouble), using the Technet ISOs would seem to be a good little cost saving measure!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may have a key built into an XML somewhere on the disk, the software is the same though. Some of the more single use enterprise stuff does not have the keys as it is reasonably single purpose and those using it are less likely to pirate it for a corporate environment. Exchange 2003 was like that.

Thank Post
    I think DPM is on the "Honour" system from MS licensing.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I've no intention of taking the mick when it comes to licenses and will strive to ensure we're up to date - the school had an 'issue' before i join which almost resulted in legal action due to inactivity.... I'll assume, then, that the ISOs i can get are fine to use with the correct key/licence combinations...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread